Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #1
jonathan41

Default 50d Card will not format.

Hi guys, a newbie here. I have just got a 50D today and have tried three of my memory cards in it but it will not accept any of them. I am at my wits end, you know what its like, new camera and all that.
When i have tried the camera it says CARD NOT FORMATTED. FORMAT CARD.
so i go into the menu and try to format the car but it says CARD NOT FORMATTED. CANNOT FORMAT CARD.

I have always had canons for many years and have never encountered this before. Can anyone help a desperate man!!!

The cards are blank and have been used in my 40D and 400D and 300D before that. One of the cards is a new sandisk IV 8gb, so its not a quality issue??

Help? Jon
jonathan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #2
mprayii

Default Re: 50d Card will not format.

can you format it with your pc?

probably fat32 or 16, i doubt you'd want to use NTFS.
mprayii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #3
jonathan41

Hi Mprayii, thanks for the reply. Can you please explain your answer in idiots terms please.
I am not too computer literate. The camera was bought and i got it today from Simply Electronics and i would urge people not to deal with them. The 50D took 2 weeks to arrive....!! and it seems it has a fault. can anyone elabourate further on this ErRR CF/formatting error?...many thanks,,jon
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #4
Mike
ugly when I'm sober

So, what is the process you go through with your card, just to be clear?

Do you put the CF card in to the CF card slot in your camera, close the cover, switch the camera on, enter the menu and select Format Card?
flickr Blog 5∞px

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #5
jonathan41

HI. I take the camera out of the box, fitted battery and lens. Made sure meory card was firmly in place. Turned camera on.
If i press the button down (to take a shot) then ErrCF displays on the top mini screen and "Card not formatted. Format card with this camera" appears on the back screen.

so i go into menu, to format and then press the OK button to format the card. Once pressed it says "Cannot format. Change card".

I am really frustrated as i only got it today and wanted to go out playing with it!!
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #6
Mike
ugly when I'm sober

Hmmm...does sound like a fault somewhere. If the cards work fine with other cameras it could be your camera, I hate to say.
flickr Blog 5∞px

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #7
mprayii

plug card into pc with the USB reader or directly into the face of the pc if supported.

Go to My Computer

Right click on your memory card, select format. I think I have used fat32 on my card and had no problems with it.

Its also worth trying another card to see if that works. Is there a Ritz or Bestbuy local to you? Ritz would probably let you try before you buy... dont know about bestbuy.
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #8
jonathan41

But should i have to do that?? I have now tried to use the same card in the 40D and that wont work either. there is nothing wrong with the cards, as all three wouldnt have had a funny turn exactly at the same time. I think the 50D has done something now to my cards....i will try the computer thing...

any other ideas guys
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #9
mprayii

i guess I dont know? Was just trying to help - at this point it doesnt seem like it would hurt anything to try.
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #10
mprayii

reset to defaults? update firmware?
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #11
irispatch

If the cards have been working in your other canon cameras they should work in the 50D. Before sending it back format one card in the 40 D or thr 400d. Then transfer to the 50D that way you know that the card can be formated in a canon camera. Then try to format in the 50D. I have no problem switching cards between a 350D and the 50d so I am inclinded to think that there is something wrong with the camera.
irispatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #12
jonathan41

Hi guys. Well i have tried both cards in the 40D and they dont work in that. Isd it possible the 50D has done somethingt o them when i followeed the onscreen instructions to reformat them??...
I have then been on my PC and reformatted them to FAT32, but it hadsnt made any difference to the CF cards. Neither will work in either cameras now...HELP!!!

Im a bit sick because both cards were working perfectly weell yesterday int he 40D, both are extremeIV , one being an 8 the other a 4!!
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #13
jonathan41

sorry about spelling1!! its my frustration coming out..lol
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #14
mprayii

are you able to return the camera? And its rather weird that both cards are not working. I believe fat or fat 16 only supports 2 gb, but it could be worth a shot. have you tried formatting it within the camera after using the pc?
Old 12th of August 2009 (Wed)   #15
Roach711

I have heard of devices killing CF cards. If they worked fine before in the 40D and don't after attempting to use them in the 50D I'd conclude the 50D caused the problem. I certainly wouldn't try any more CF cards in the 50D.

Sorry to say, it's time to send the camera back with a request to replace the dead CF cards. The retailer probably won't honor your request, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Shoot 'em all and let Photoshop sort them out.
Roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote