Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 18:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lens Align Pro - Just Arrived -- WOW!

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,261 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Racine, Wisconsin
Aug 13, 2009 08:24 |  #16

hmmm- reason to upgrade to the 5Dm2, right? :)

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

sponsored links
jwkramer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Aug 13, 2009 09:01 |  #17

hawk911 wrote in post #8451865external link
hmmm- reason to upgrade to the 5Dm2, right? :)

I'll bet Canon puts this on all of the Prosumer, and Pro models from here on out.

Note to Canon - Hurry up with the 1D Mk IV!!!! :)

-Jim
Please Visit My Website! (external link)
I'm no Einstein, but I do own 3 of them...

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
Aug 13, 2009 09:03 |  #18

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8451698external link
seriously though, had you guys used something before this? What were your adjustments for your old method -vs- lens align pro?

anyone?

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

jwkramer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Aug 13, 2009 09:06 |  #19

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8452051external link
anyone?

I didn't try in manually... I only used the Lens Align.

-Jim

paparios
500 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Aug 13, 2009 09:40 |  #20

Saint728 wrote in post #8449042 (external link)
I was looking at that as well, but I don't really want to spend almost $200.00 with shipping. Looks good and it helped a lot. I'm not sure if my lenses are that much off to justify the price for these.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

I have tried all of the different methods to do the micro adjustment of my lenses on my 50d.

Finally, I have come to the following method, which is quite easy and affordable to do.
I use a ruler and a video box on a table. The ruler is inclined to 45 degrees (front to back) and its purpose is to check the depth of field of the lens and so, determine if the lens is front or back focussing. An additional advantage of using this ruler is that you need, theoretically, only one shot to do the test.
The video box (or any object with a flat surface) is placed perpendicular to the lens axis, and its purpose is to serve as a good target for the camera focussing system.
So you auto focus on the video box and then check the depth of field result on the ruler.

The example and 100% crop illustrate the method. Focus was the letter H on VHS of the video box. The ruler indicates that the lens ( EF70-200 f4L IS at 200mm) is dead on the target, with the depth of field being symmetrical with respect to the black vertical line of the ruler.

Miguel

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D MKII, Sony A7, Canon EOS M, Canon 7D, Sony A6000, Canon 50d with grip, Canon 400D with grip, Bower 14 f2.8, Bower 35 f1.4, EF 40 f2.8, Tokina 12-24 f4, EFM-22 f2 STM, EFM 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, EFS 18-55 f3.5-5.6, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 100 f2.8L IS, EF 70-200 f4L IS, EF 75-300 f4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3, Sony E 16-50, Sony FE 28-70

CROW21
440 posts
Joined Dec 2007
New Jersey
Aug 13, 2009 09:46 |  #21

[QUOTE=jacobsen1;84516​98]even then it wouldn't be free! But maybe he's not in England, so it's zero pounds but ~10 EUR or USD? :lol:

lol :-)

Gear : Canon XTI w/Kit lens , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II , Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO , Canon 430EX Speedlite , Canon Wireless Remote Control RC1

jwkramer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Aug 13, 2009 09:56 |  #22

paparios wrote in post #8452238external link
The video box (or any object with a flat surface) is placed perpendicular to the lens axis

and THIS is exactly why you need Lens Align - there is simply ***NO WAY*** you are going to get that video box ***EXACTLY*** perpendicular to your camera/lens at the distances required (say 8' or so for a 100mm lens).

That is EXACTLY what the Lens Align system does - ensures that the camera and the target are PERFECTLY ALIGNED.

:cool:

-Jim

pikeface999
81 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Aug 13, 2009 10:04 |  #23

[QUOTE=jacobsen1;84516​98]even then it wouldn't be free! But maybe he's not in England, so it's zero pounds but ~10 EUR or USD? :lol:

Actualy it was £2.5 (english) for the MDF and the targets were drawn up using viso and printed on photo paper.

And no I don,t own a hardware store but do have some DIY bits.

Jeremy
http://www.pbase.com/j​eremy_broome_smith/roo​texternal link

jwkramer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Aug 13, 2009 10:11 |  #24

[QUOTE=pikeface999;845​2381]

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8451698external link
even then it wouldn't be free! But maybe he's not in England, so it's zero pounds but ~10 EUR or USD? :lol:

Actualy it was £2.5 (english) for the MDF and the targets were drawn up using viso and printed on photo paper.

And no I don,t own a hardware store but do have some DIY bits.

I was just giving you a rough time! It's all in good fun.

The rig you built looks quite a bit like the Lens Align rig. My only concern would be ensuring that the front and back planes were precisely aligned. Did you use some kind of micrometer for that? Just curious...

-Jim

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,192 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 13, 2009 10:14 |  #25

jwkramer wrote in post #8452342external link
and THIS is exactly why you need Lens Align - there is simply ***NO WAY*** you are going to get that video box ***EXACTLY*** perpendicular to your camera/lens at the distances required (say 8' or so for a 100mm lens).

That is EXACTLY what the Lens Align system does - ensures that the camera and the target are PERFECTLY ALIGNED.

In my experience the alignment should be done to distance you shoot. LensAlign seems more like a closeup test tool. And also, in real life shooting there are so many variables in focusing, apart from your own involuntary swaying, what matters most is your focusing method (where you focus in subject) in any given frame. If lens misses fraction of mm in 2 meters test: it really does not matter at all. Honestly. Home made test like paparios did are perfectly adequate for testing if lens is in ballpark, even if their tests are not capable of 1/100mm resolution or similar.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

paparios
500 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Aug 13, 2009 10:18 |  #26

jwkramer wrote in post #8452342external link

I can assure you that the alignment process is quite easy and fast, and I don't need to use even a measuring tape or level to get things right.
But, of course, if you trust more your $200 device, it is your right choice. The final fact is that you and me will be happy with the results you get with your lenses and I get with my system.

Miguel

Canon 5D MKII, Sony A7, Canon EOS M, Canon 7D, Sony A6000, Canon 50d with grip, Canon 400D with grip, Bower 14 f2.8, Bower 35 f1.4, EF 40 f2.8, Tokina 12-24 f4, EFM-22 f2 STM, EFM 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, EFS 18-55 f3.5-5.6, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 100 f2.8L IS, EF 70-200 f4L IS, EF 75-300 f4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3, Sony E 16-50, Sony FE 28-70

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007
New York City
Aug 13, 2009 10:25 |  #27

I guess I have to admit to OCD, as I spent the money despite the fact that I'll only use it a couple of times. But it's a fantastic system, and it'll be useful to see if focus is off if the lens gets bumped around during travel, etc.

Also, on my zoom lens, I checked the microadjustment at both extremes, which will enable me to dial in better sharpness if I have time before taking a shot using one extreme or the other. Middle of the range = split the difference.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D III | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

jwkramer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Aug 13, 2009 10:28 |  #28

Pekka wrote in post #8452451external link
In my experience the alignment should be done to distance you shoot. LensAlign seems more like a closeup test tool. And also, in real life shooting there are so many variables in focusing, apart from your own involuntary swaying, what matters most is your focusing method (where you focus in subject) in any given frame. If lens misses fraction of mm in 2 meters test: it really does not matter at all. Honestly. Home made test like paparios did are perfectly adequate for testing if lens is in ballpark, even if their tests are not capable of 1/100mm resolution or similar.

actually, the Lens Align system has the camera and target separated by a distance on 25x the focal length of the lens. Canon specs this distance as 50x the focal length. When I set up my calibration last night, I used 15' for a 100mm macro lens (f/stop wide open). You can see by my sample pics that the DOF is not really narrow enough. When I test next time, I will use 8' as the distance. The difference in DOF for a 100mm @ f/2.8 at 8' and 15' is fairly large. At 8', the DOF is 3.5", at 16' it jumps to 12.6" - which is why my entire ruler appears in focus in the final shot.

-Jim

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
Aug 13, 2009 10:51 as a reply to jwkramer's post |  #29

basically, the lens align pro is a very nice and very precise tool, but it's also expensive. Using other things we all have on hand (images on screen, rulers, MFD and slick printouts etc) all work pretty damned well if we're cheap bastards. But at the end of the day, what really matters is actually getting out there and adjusting your lenses if you think they're off. It's not that hard. Plus, once I'd run through the steps once, I was able to adjust a new lens I couldn't test at home in the field just focusing on a random object (a nail in the bench I was sitting on) because I'd gone through the steps.

LAP circumcises the flee that is microadjusting exactly. Using a random object in the field works much better than NOT adjusting it at all... So really, just use what you have, but DO NOT be affriad of messing up a lens... It's VERY easy to turn off the adjustments all together or dial them back to '0'...

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,335 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 13, 2009 11:40 |  #30

All the lens align seems to be doing is packaging the system we have had in our FAQ on testing for front/back focus since 2003.

Not that it's a bad thing to do that, but I'm just saying it is not breaking any new ground, nor is it doing anything that we haven't been doing with very affordable alternatives for the last 6 years.

It looks like a great solution.. but Id still offer as an alternative investing a little time in some of the more affordable solutions to any one on a budget.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

11,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Align Pro - Just Arrived -- WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.