Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of August 2009 (Thu)   #1
JRSand

Default tripods with spiked feet

I am going to be placing an order for either the Manfrotto 055xb or 055xwnb (wilderness model). The only physical difference is that the wilderness model comes with spiked feet. Is it worth the approximate $30 higher price to have the spiked feet? How often do you use the spiked feet? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.

Jeff
JRSand is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of August 2009 (Thu)   #2
DisrupTer911
Goldmember

Default Re: tripods with spiked feet

you can always order those feet seperately.

I've used mine when in loose dirt/sandy areas. such as at the beach/shoreline.
otherwise the rubber feet stay on
Old 13th of August 2009 (Thu)   #3
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

If you ever set up on rocky terrain or even grassy ones, spikes are great. On rocks, your rubber feet won't be chewed up and you have a firmer set with spike on stone. On dirt and grass, you have no sliding. I added spikes to my Bogen 3021 (Manfrotto) which I sold when I bought my Gitzo and added spikes, and have them on my hugemongous Bogen 3036 which I use for large format monorail usage in the field.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of August 2009 (Thu)   #4
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
If you ever set up on rocky terrain or even grassy ones, spikes are great. On rocks, your rubber feet won't be chewed up and you have a firmer set with spike on stone. On dirt and grass, you have no sliding. I added spikes to my Bogen 3021 (Manfrotto) which I sold when I bought my Gitzo and added spikes, and have them on my hugemongous Bogen 3036 which I use for large format monorail usage in the field.
I found the opposite on rocky terrain. I found the spikes to slide on rock and not provide a secure grip. The rubber for me is much better in this condition. When on dirt / sand / grass etc..., the spikes are better. For snow, get the snow shoes as they don't sink as far into the snow, yet still provide a very study base.
Hogloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of August 2009 (Fri)   #5
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"

In the good old days when I used a cheap tripod, it had rubber feet that screwed up to expose spikes. Nothing extra to buy, nothing could fall off, perfect. It even came with it's own QR head. In fact the only reason I switched was because it was held together with plastic tape come the end.

Now I use a heavier and more expensive tripod, I get nothing. Why should I have to buy different feet, where do I keep them for the 99% of the time I don't need them, yet still put my hand on them at a moments notice? I know, make them come like my old ones! Come on Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giotto and others, get your act together.

http://rcb4344.zenfolio.com
Lowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of August 2009 (Fri)   #6
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowner View Post
In the good old days when I used a cheap tripod, it had rubber feet that screwed up to expose spikes. Nothing extra to buy, nothing could fall off, perfect. It even came with it's own QR head. In fact the only reason I switched was because it was held together with plastic tape come the end.

Now I use a heavier and more expensive tripod, I get nothing. Why should I have to buy different feet, where do I keep them for the 99% of the time I don't need them, yet still put my hand on them at a moments notice? I know, make them come like my old ones! Come on Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giotto and others, get your act together.
There is benefit to the simple rubber caps provided by Manfrotto (and I presume others, but I don't know what they provide) as "feet" for their tripods. They are less expensive than the convertible "feet", lowering the initial price of the tripod. Most photographers probably get perfectly adequate performance with the factory "feet" and wouldn't benefit by having the more expensive convertible versions.

That said, I added the convertible "feet" on my 3021BPro a long time ago.
SkipD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of August 2009 (Fri)   #7
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

The Gitzo feet replace the standard feet, and come with rubber tips that pressure fit the ends of the spikes.

The Bogen feet that I have on my 3036 (and which I added to my Bogen 3021) was as you described, Lowner. I prefer that convertible design to what Gitzo does which leaves extra bits to loose in the field, but then Manfrotto has a far better leg spread control than Gitzo, too. And a much better locking of the head on the platform.

Last edited by Wilt : 14th of August 2009 (Fri) at 07:58.
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of August 2009 (Fri)   #8
JRSand

Thanks for your help everyone!

Jeff
JRSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of August 2009 (Sat)   #9
JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...

Quote:

My Giottos MT8180 has spiked feet under the rubber feet. All I have to do is pull the rubber part off and I have spikes.
Old 16th of August 2009 (Sun)   #10
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"

John,

That's certainly better than the rubber tube ends that is all Manfrotto fitted to my 055PROB, but still leaves you with spare "bits" just waiting to get lost. I'd much prefer to have my old "el cheapo" tripod feet and if I still had it would certainly consider home surgery to make that happen.

http://rcb4344.zenfolio.com
Lowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of August 2009 (Sun)   #11
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWright View Post
My Giottos MT8180 has spiked feet under the rubber feet. All I have to do is pull the rubber part off and I have spikes.
Giottos also has some neat acessory feet available:

Snow shoe with spike and removable skirt. This is also great for use in the sand. It will prevent the feet from digging down into the sand and will keep the legs cleaner.

Multifunction shoe for snow, sand and tile. This is especially good for slippery surfaces when youhave a heavy camera/lens load on the tripod. I have used feet like this on heavy duty wooden cinematography tripods. I would expect that the Snow shoe with spike would be better for sand and snow.

http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/De...giottos%20snow
EQUIPMENT: Two Canon 7D cameras plus Canon D60 camera modified for full-time IR; Tokina 12-24mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8 Mark-I, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 300mm f/4L IS, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses;
RPCrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of August 2009 (Sun)   #12
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

This is the Manfrotto 200SPK3 Reversible rubber/metal spiked foot for the Manfrotto 055XProB tripod. They are sold as a set of three. I thought some folks might be interested in seeing them.
SkipD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of August 2009 (Mon)   #13
p32shooter

i got spikes and they work well on grass/ground,not so much on rock
Old 23rd of January 2010 (Sat)   #14
antitera

They transform to-non spikes quickly and easily for concrete and rock. Ingenious design with no problems.
antitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of January 2010 (Sat)   #15
ed rader
"I am not the final word"

Quote:

my benro tripod came with a set of stainless steel spiked feet.

ed rader

5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro
ed rader is offline   Reply With Quote