FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 13 Aug 2009 (Thursday) 09:56   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

JRSand
Joined Oct 2008
29 posts
northern Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

I am going to be placing an order for either the Manfrotto 055xb or 055xwnb (wilderness model). The only physical difference is that the wilderness model comes with spiked feet. Is it worth the approximate $30 higher price to have the spiked feet? How often do you use the spiked feet? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.

Jeff

Post #1, Aug 13, 2009 09:56:48

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DisrupTer911
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
2,165 posts
NJ, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

you can always order those feet seperately.

I've used mine when in loose dirt/sandy areas. such as at the beach/shoreline.
otherwise the rubber feet stay on

Post #2, Aug 13, 2009 10:05:49

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,490 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you ever set up on rocky terrain or even grassy ones, spikes are great. On rocks, your rubber feet won't be chewed up and you have a firmer set with spike on stone. On dirt and grass, you have no sliding. I added spikes to my Bogen 3021 (Manfrotto) which I sold when I bought my Gitzo and added spikes, and have them on my hugemongous Bogen 3036 which I use for large format monorail usage in the field.

Post #3, Aug 13, 2009 10:08:50

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2003
6,535 posts
British Columbia
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt wrote in post #8452421external link
If you ever set up on rocky terrain or even grassy ones, spikes are great. On rocks, your rubber feet won't be chewed up and you have a firmer set with spike on stone. On dirt and grass, you have no sliding. I added spikes to my Bogen 3021 (Manfrotto) which I sold when I bought my Gitzo and added spikes, and have them on my hugemongous Bogen 3036 which I use for large format monorail usage in the field.

I found the opposite on rocky terrain. I found the spikes to slide on rock and not provide a secure grip. The rubber for me is much better in this condition. When on dirt / sand / grass etc..., the spikes are better. For snow, get the snow shoes as they don't sink as far into the snow, yet still provide a very study base.

Post #4, Aug 13, 2009 20:27:53

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,888 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

In the good old days when I used a cheap tripod, it had rubber feet that screwed up to expose spikes. Nothing extra to buy, nothing could fall off, perfect. It even came with it's own QR head. In fact the only reason I switched was because it was held together with plastic tape come the end.

Now I use a heavier and more expensive tripod, I get nothing. Why should I have to buy different feet, where do I keep them for the 99% of the time I don't need them, yet still put my hand on them at a moments notice? I know, make them come like my old ones! Come on Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giotto and others, get your act together.

Post #5, Aug 14, 2009 07:48:34 as a reply to Hogloff's post 11 hours earlier.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Lowner wrote in post #8458207external link
In the good old days when I used a cheap tripod, it had rubber feet that screwed up to expose spikes. Nothing extra to buy, nothing could fall off, perfect. It even came with it's own QR head. In fact the only reason I switched was because it was held together with plastic tape come the end.

Now I use a heavier and more expensive tripod, I get nothing. Why should I have to buy different feet, where do I keep them for the 99% of the time I don't need them, yet still put my hand on them at a moments notice? I know, make them come like my old ones! Come on Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giotto and others, get your act together.

There is benefit to the simple rubber caps provided by Manfrotto (and I presume others, but I don't know what they provide) as "feet" for their tripods. They are less expensive than the convertible "feet", lowering the initial price of the tripod. Most photographers probably get perfectly adequate performance with the factory "feet" and wouldn't benefit by having the more expensive convertible versions.

That said, I added the convertible "feet" on my 3021BPro a long time ago.

Post #6, Aug 14, 2009 07:54:03

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,490 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

The Gitzo feet replace the standard feet, and come with rubber tips that pressure fit the ends of the spikes.

The Bogen feet that I have on my 3036 (and which I added to my Bogen 3021) was as you described, Lowner. I prefer that convertible design to what Gitzo does which leaves extra bits to loose in the field, but then Manfrotto has a far better leg spread control than Gitzo, too. And a much better locking of the head on the platform.

Post #7, Aug 14, 2009 07:55:42

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

JRSand
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2008
29 posts
northern Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for your help everyone!

Jeff

Post #8, Aug 14, 2009 21:06:47 as a reply to Wilt's post 13 hours earlier.

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
Joined Dec 2004
18,272 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

My Giottos MT8180 has spiked feet under the rubber feet. All I have to do is pull the rubber part off and I have spikes.

Post #9, Aug 15, 2009 00:19:19 as a reply to JRSand's post 3 hours earlier.

John

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,888 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

John,

That's certainly better than the rubber tube ends that is all Manfrotto fitted to my 055PROB, but still leaves you with spare "bits" just waiting to get lost. I'd much prefer to have my old "el cheapo" tripod feet and if I still had it would certainly consider home surgery to make that happen.

Post #10, Aug 16, 2009 13:36:58

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2005
7,383 posts
San Diego County, California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

JWright wrote in post #8462743external link
My Giottos MT8180 has spiked feet under the rubber feet. All I have to do is pull the rubber part off and I have spikes.

Giottos also has some neat acessory feet available:

Snow shoe with spike and removable skirt. This is also great for use in the sand. It will prevent the feet from digging down into the sand and will keep the legs cleaner.

Multifunction shoe for snow, sand and tile. This is especially good for slippery surfaces when youhave a heavy camera/lens load on the tripod. I have used feet like this on heavy duty wooden cinematography tripods. I would expect that the Snow shoe with spike would be better for sand and snow.

http://www.adorama.com ...searchinfo=giottos%​20snowexternal link

Post #11, Aug 16, 2009 14:49:09

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/external link
EQUIPMENT: Two Canon 7D cameras plus Canon D60 camera modified for full-time IR; Tokina 12-24mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8 Mark-I, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 300mm f/4L IS, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses;

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

This is the Manfrotto 200SPK3 Reversible rubber/metal spiked footexternal link for the Manfrotto 055XProB tripod. They are sold as a set of three. I thought some folks might be interested in seeing them.

Post #12, Aug 16, 2009 14:57:03

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

p32shooter
Joined Jun 2007
707 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i got spikes and they work well on grass/ground,not so much on rock

Post #13, Aug 17, 2009 06:36:18

wants for Ls :D , now have 400do;500f4is,600f4 :cool::cool: off to birding and airshows:):):)

antitera
Joined Nov 2008
119 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

They transform to-non spikes quickly and easily for concrete and rock. Ingenious design with no problems.

Post #14, Jan 23, 2010 05:21:07

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
Joined May 2005
22,035 posts
silicon valley
[MORE/SHARE]

my benro tripod came with a set of stainless steel spiked feet.

ed rader

Post #15, Jan 23, 2010 12:35:06

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/external link
http://erader.zenfolio​.com/external link
5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 24mm f2.8 ef-s, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,352 views & 0 likes for this thread
tripods with spiked feet
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES