Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Urban Life & Travel Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of August 2009 (Mon)   #1
junji98

Default paris safety?

hi all!

ill be in paris and geneva for a few days and was wondering about any tips you can give about camera safety in paris? is it going to be a safety concern if i walk around the city with a gripped xti on an r-strap? i dont think it will be an issue, but i have read that pickpocketing can be a problem. that being said, are cameras (big ones) relatively safe? what have your experiences been like? i guess i know i can be 'targeted' as tourist because of the camera, but there is probably no way around that. i'm bound to look like a tourist!!!

thanks!

ed

junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of August 2009 (Tue)   #2
blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"

Default Re: paris safety?

I've been to Paris, but certainly don't know the city well enough to make a definitive comment. Never had a problem any time during the 4 days I was there, however.

My guess is the Paris is no different than Toronto in regards to camera safety.

Gear List
blueM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of August 2009 (Tue)   #3
Pete
Prime Mover

Geneva's not a bad city as such. You're going to get pick-pockets and opportunistic thieves anywhere, though.

You'll be fine as long as you have a good hold of the strap. You can be relaxed, but make sure that anyone wanting to snatch your camera/bags will have a tough time getting it off your person.
Old 18th of August 2009 (Tue)   #4
buddhamonk

I've lived in paris for 20 years. Touristic areas are safe but you have to exercise caution like any other place on earth.
Old 18th of August 2009 (Tue)   #5
junji98

thanks for the replies. cheers!

ed

Old 19th of August 2009 (Wed)   #6
philmar
Goldmember

downtown Paris is safe - very safe. Like Toronto. Only trouble spots would be in the suburbs - much like in Toronto areas like Scarborough and Downsview which really aren't unsafe. It's not like East LA, Bronx or Rio de Janeiro. Relax.
philmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of August 2009 (Wed)   #7
SwitchBlade
Goldmember

In Paris exercise plenty of care in the usual pickpocket haunts like stations. Wouldn't have thought having your camera nicked from your strap is likely as it's rather blatent. But I have friends who have had their train tickets pinched from their bags etc.
Old 19th of August 2009 (Wed)   #8
philmar
Goldmember

is the web great? you can get tips on Paris safety from guys named 'switchblade'
Old 19th of August 2009 (Wed)   #9
moeronn
Goldmember

I was just in Paris for a week and had no real issues with a 30D around my neck or accross my body. Just keep a hand on your xti when it is at your side in busy areas. Not just for theft protection, but to keep from bumping into people.

The two main areas I would be most concerned with would be around Sacre Coeur and Notre Dame. It's ironic that many theives and scammers flock to the areas around churches.

BTW, if anyone asks if you speak english near Notre Dame or asks to help in a demonstraction at Sacre Coeur, just ignore them and keep walking.
Old 20th of August 2009 (Thu)   #10
junji98

thanks for the tips guys! if there are any more, keep 'em coming!

ed

Old 20th of August 2009 (Thu)   #11
philmar
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeronn View Post
BTW, if anyone asks if you speak english near Notre Dame or asks to help in a demonstraction at Sacre Coeur, just ignore them and keep walking.
Pourquoi?
Old 20th of August 2009 (Thu)   #12
moeronn
Goldmember

The people at Notre Dame asking you if you speak english are gypsies trying to distract you so they (or an accompliss) can pick your pockets.

The people at Sacre Coeur asking you to help with a demonstration will put a "friendship" bracelet on your wrist and then try to get you to pay them for it.
Old 25th of August 2009 (Tue)   #13
Pseudonym

same as london, however paris does have rather a lot of gypos (un PC but hey)

I'm off to paris soon, plan is to travel light with a 50L on a 5D
Pseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of August 2009 (Mon)   #14
LLBNY

Mostly in the center of Paris (Notre Dame, Quais, or Montmartre), any body asking if you speak english-- grab your bag and go away.
Any ring they find in front of you- keep moving-it's not yours.
Pickpockets in the subways.
The above are mostly romanians, or east Europeans.

Besides that, it is pretty safe, but like everywhere just be wise and avoid unknown small streets without lights at night.
LLBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of September 2009 (Wed)   #15
Cyclop
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamonk View Post
I've lived in paris for 20 years. Touristic areas are safe but you have to exercise caution like any other place on earth.
^^^ Good advice. One has to be cognizant/guarded with their surroundings, but not to the extent that it would ruin your trip.
Canon 50D w/grip, Tokina UWA 11-16 2.8, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS, Canon 400 5.6 L, Canon 100 "macro" 2.8, Canon 60 "macro" 2.8, Canon Extender 1.4xII, Gitzo 3531S tripod w/Markins M20 ballhead, Gitzo GT2531EX tripod, Bogen-Manfrotto 681B monopod w/3232 head.
Cyclop is offline   Reply With Quote