In DPP RAW thumbnails appear sharp and JPG are soft. What is that about?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 21 Aug 2009 (Friday) 07:57   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Fastfwd13
Joined Dec 2007
491 posts
Canada, Montreal
[MORE/SHARE]

Does DPP apply some kind of sharpening to the RAW images when making the thumbnails?

Also have not found any difference when applying sharpening from the DPP tool. 0 or 500, same image.

Post #1, Aug 21, 2009 07:57:04

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
napolar
Joined Apr 2004
251 posts
Franklin, TN
[MORE/SHARE]

Fastfwd - My understanding is that DPP does not really display the RAW file, what it displays is a JPG file that is embedded in the RAW file. Perhaps it looks sharper than the full size JPG because of the size. Smaller will look sharper. Hope this helps

Post #2, Aug 21, 2009 09:11:36

Art
7D & 20D
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Canon 70 - 200 F4 L
P.O.T.N Op-Tech Strap

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,885 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

I get a massive difference in DPP between no sharpening and the 500 full monty. It goes from soft to so hard my eyes bleed from looking at the sharpened noise. Not sure why yours would not.

As I understand it, the RAW thumbnails are in fact very low res Jpegs created in camera from the RAW data, and have camera preset preferences applied, with maybe an amount of sharpening applied by default, although I cannot confirm that. The full RAW file will have no sharpening applied, although if you choose to use one of DPP's presets, then various tweaks are applied automatically, including sharpening.

The basic data as captured by the sensor will be a touch soft. Allegedly caused by the anti-aliassing filter covering the sensor, or so I've read. So some sharpening is required just to recover the image to it's natural sharpness. This is normally referred to as capture sharpening and is not to be confused with any subsequent sharpening in post processing. Canon have offered suggestions on what amount is required in the past.

Post #3, Aug 21, 2009 09:18:59

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

The thumbnails won't change much, the image will.
Not important IMO, since you judge sharpening at 100%. Otherwise resizing for screen will cause inaccurate previewing anyway.

DPP uses what you set in camera as default. I generally find that a setting of "3" in the Raw tab is enough. "500" in the RGB tab makes my eyes bleed.

Two screenshots, not color managed, so the color is off.

Sharpening off:

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20090821-dkru4rfbp74cf1ddwnj8x4x8xr.jpg

Way over sharpened:
IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20090821-gi1gq3ype189g3m7uhd6jd1mxf.jpg

Post #4, Aug 21, 2009 09:50:19

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
Joined Apr 2005
12,597 posts
Gesher Haziv, Israel
[MORE/SHARE]

Lowner wrote in post #8498739external link
As I understand it, the RAW thumbnails are in fact very low res Jpegs created in camera from the RAW data, and have camera preset preferences applied, with maybe an amount of sharpening applied by default, although I cannot confirm that. The full RAW file will have no sharpening applied, although if you choose to use one of DPP's presets, then various tweaks are applied automatically, including sharpening.

Actually, DPP uses the embedded jpg at first but as soon as you start pushing the sliders around it redraws the thumbnail just as it redraws the full-sized Edit or Edit Image window. However if you save your edits it will not save an edited thumbnail unless you select 'Add thumbnail to image and save' from the File menu.

Post #5, Aug 21, 2009 10:08:06

Elie / אלי
I look at the world and I notice it's turning, while my guitar gently weeps.
With every mistake we must surely be learning, still my guitar gently weeps.
Paul Harrison
Siteexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tigerotor77w
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
1,530 posts
Charleston, SC
[MORE/SHARE]

René Damkot wrote in post #8498893external link
DPP uses what you set in camera as default. I generally find that a setting of "3" in the Raw tab is enough. "500" in the RGB tab makes my eyes bleed.

Is there a difference in one slider over the other?

Post #6, Aug 21, 2009 16:57:15

Photo blogexternal link | Gear
flickrexternal link being retired in favor of Wordpress.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

tigerotor77w wrote in post #8501000external link
Is there a difference in one slider over the other?

The numbers ;) Also, the Raw tab is only available when you edit a CR2.
Effect is the same and additive. Not sure if amount is the same for both sliders if set to max.

Post #7, Aug 21, 2009 17:16:36

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
1,530 posts
Charleston, SC
[MORE/SHARE]

René Damkot wrote in post #8501080external link
The numbers ;) Also, the Raw tab is only available when you edit a CR2.
Effect is the same and additive. Not sure if amount is the same for both sliders if set to max.

Okay, that's what I had figured. I suppose that there's just a measure of redundancy for RAW files...

Post #8, Aug 21, 2009 17:23:57

Photo blogexternal link | Gear
flickrexternal link being retired in favor of Wordpress.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
In DPP RAW thumbnails appear sharp and JPG are soft. What is that about?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES