Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of August 2009 (Fri)   #1
Fastfwd13

Default In DPP RAW thumbnails appear sharp and JPG are soft. What is that about?

Does DPP apply some kind of sharpening to the RAW images when making the thumbnails?

Also have not found any difference when applying sharpening from the DPP tool. 0 or 500, same image.
Fastfwd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of August 2009 (Fri)   #2
napolar

Default Re: In DPP RAW thumbnails appear sharp and JPG are soft. What is that about?

Fastfwd - My understanding is that DPP does not really display the RAW file, what it displays is a JPG file that is embedded in the RAW file. Perhaps it looks sharper than the full size JPG because of the size. Smaller will look sharper. Hope this helps
Canon 70 - 200 F4 L
P.O.T.N Op-Tech Strap
napolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of August 2009 (Fri)   #3
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"

Default Re: In DPP RAW thumbnails appear sharp and JPG are soft. What is that about?

I get a massive difference in DPP between no sharpening and the 500 full monty. It goes from soft to so hard my eyes bleed from looking at the sharpened noise. Not sure why yours would not.

As I understand it, the RAW thumbnails are in fact very low res Jpegs created in camera from the RAW data, and have camera preset preferences applied, with maybe an amount of sharpening applied by default, although I cannot confirm that. The full RAW file will have no sharpening applied, although if you choose to use one of DPP's presets, then various tweaks are applied automatically, including sharpening.

The basic data as captured by the sensor will be a touch soft. Allegedly caused by the anti-aliassing filter covering the sensor, or so I've read. So some sharpening is required just to recover the image to it's natural sharpness. This is normally referred to as capture sharpening and is not to be confused with any subsequent sharpening in post processing. Canon have offered suggestions on what amount is required in the past.

http://rcb4344.zenfolio.com
Lowner is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of August 2009 (Fri)   #4
René Damkot

The thumbnails won't change much, the image will.
Not important IMO, since you judge sharpening at 100%. Otherwise resizing for screen will cause inaccurate previewing anyway.

DPP uses what you set in camera as default. I generally find that a setting of "3" in the Raw tab is enough. "500" in the RGB tab makes my eyes bleed.

Two screenshots, not color managed, so the color is off.

Sharpening off:

Way over sharpened:

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of August 2009 (Fri)   #5
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowner View Post
As I understand it, the RAW thumbnails are in fact very low res Jpegs created in camera from the RAW data, and have camera preset preferences applied, with maybe an amount of sharpening applied by default, although I cannot confirm that. The full RAW file will have no sharpening applied, although if you choose to use one of DPP's presets, then various tweaks are applied automatically, including sharpening.
Actually, DPP uses the embedded jpg at first but as soon as you start pushing the sliders around it redraws the thumbnail just as it redraws the full-sized Edit or Edit Image window. However if you save your edits it will not save an edited thumbnail unless you select 'Add thumbnail to image and save' from the File menu.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
tzalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of August 2009 (Fri)   #6
tigerotor77w

Quote:
Originally Posted by René Damkot View Post
DPP uses what you set in camera as default. I generally find that a setting of "3" in the Raw tab is enough. "500" in the RGB tab makes my eyes bleed.
Is there a difference in one slider over the other?

flickr being retired in favor of Wordpress.
tigerotor77w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of August 2009 (Fri)   #7
René Damkot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerotor77w View Post
Is there a difference in one slider over the other?
The numbers Also, the Raw tab is only available when you edit a CR2.
Effect is the same and additive. Not sure if amount is the same for both sliders if set to max.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of August 2009 (Fri)   #8
tigerotor77w

Quote:
Originally Posted by René Damkot View Post
The numbers Also, the Raw tab is only available when you edit a CR2.
Effect is the same and additive. Not sure if amount is the same for both sliders if set to max.
Okay, that's what I had figured. I suppose that there's just a measure of redundancy for RAW files...

flickr being retired in favor of Wordpress.
tigerotor77w is offline   Reply With Quote