Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of August 2009 (Sat)   #1
Eyeguy

Default Recommend one or two light set up

Do you prefer a one or two light set up. This is for hobbists.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of August 2009 (Sat)   #2
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Recommend one or two light set up

I prefer an 8 light setup What are you going to be shooting?
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of August 2009 (Sat)   #3
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=412392 There are some fantastic demonstrations of what can be done with a single light. But there are also some things that require a minimum of two lights. I was probably a bit flippant above, it really is dependent on what you are wanting to shoot.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of August 2009 (Sat)   #4
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

I prefer using the number of lights that will best light the shot.

Ok, aside from a wisea** comment, I really love one light portraiture.

A single light or single light and a reflector is great fun and opens some doors for creativity and control of light.

Having a second light is nice and at times very necessary but there is some amazing work being done with one light, so don't get caught up in the "I need a lot of lights to do good work" syndrome.

Start small and simple, work with 1 or 2 lights, and see where it takes you.

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso
TMR Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of August 2009 (Sat)   #5
Pyromaniac

I think TMR hit the mail on the head with "I prefer using the number of lights that will best light the shot." Which is also the setup I prefer, as long as it doesn't require more than the 3 lights I have.

It all depends on what you want to shoot and what you want ot spend on lighting gear.
Pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of August 2009 (Sat)   #6
Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop

Depends on the setting:

Outdoors, natural backdrop during the day? 2 lights - key plus fill.

Outdoors at night? 3 lights - key, fill and hairlight. Depending on the shot, I don't object to having some kickers available too.

Against a backdrop? 5 lights at least - key, fill, hairlight, 2 lights for backdrop. Sometimes extras for gobos, kickers, etc.

I prefer to use extra strobes (sometimes gelled) rather than reflectors, as they give me more precise control of light, rather than reflecting any light that hits them (reflectors get complicated quickly when you have too many light sources and other surfaces of different reflectivity).

Of course, this is all when using someone elses' equipment :P - my main gear is focussed towards landscape and travel photography.
Shadowblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of August 2009 (Sun)   #7
ekie

like someone already mentioned, however many gets the job done .. but when doing on location stuff and doing so in this florida hot and humidness, i typically just go with a single light setup.
ekie is offline   Reply With Quote