FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 17 May 2005 (Tuesday) 19:57   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Matt_P
Joined Apr 2005
20 posts
Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

I've purchased a lot of new equipment lately to gear myself up for obtaining better photos at motorsport events (the subject dearest to me ;)). Anyway, I was hoping someone with experience in the field would have a suggestion as to what monopod head would be ideal for shooting motorsporting event.. And I pan more than anything else. Up 'till this point I've been doing things handheld with mostly the "Sport mode" setting on my 300D. I am now finally understanding more about the camera and how to use the manual settings. I will be using Tv and Av settings mostly... Slow down the shutter speed a bit to get the nice blur effect rather than just freezing everything in motion. A monopod will help out a lot. Already got the pod, just havn't decided on the head.

Thank you in advance.

Post #1, May 17, 2005 19:57:34

Canon 20D
Canon 300D
EF-S 18-55mm
EF 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 USM
EF 70-200mm F4L
Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4
Metz Mecablitz 54MZ-3
Sigma 1.4x teleconverter

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,732 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

When I pan on a monoipod,. the whole pod is turning... never used a panning head on a 'pod.

Post #2, May 17, 2005 21:14:37

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

Matt_P
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
20 posts
Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
When I pan on a monoipod,. the whole pod is turning... never used a panning head on a 'pod.

Ahh, good to know ;) So a ball head maybe?

Post #3, May 17, 2005 21:55:54 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post 41 minutes earlier.

Canon 20D
Canon 300D
EF-S 18-55mm
EF 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 USM
EF 70-200mm F4L
Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4
Metz Mecablitz 54MZ-3
Sigma 1.4x teleconverter

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,501 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I use a manfrotto monopod head that has one control that lets it turn the camera from portrait to landscape, and nothing else. If you don't need that, which you might not, just get the adaptor that lets you attach the camera straight to the monopod.

Post #4, May 17, 2005 22:11:41

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2004
6,382 posts
Sacramento, CA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Mine has tilt, and the ability to switch to portrait as Tim mentioned. Aside from that any other use and I move the entire monopod. A ball head or anything more than the most basic you can get is more (and heavier) than necessary.

Post #5, May 17, 2005 23:12:05

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

sponsored links
lostdoggy
King Duffus
Joined Aug 2004
4,787 posts
Queens, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

If you have a Manfrotto Pod it has a build in 1/4" male thread inside the 3/8" male thread. It will screw right on to the camera. For simple ball head you have to take into consideration the weight of body and and lens attached. I use a manfrotto Monopod w/ a verticle quick grip. The Combo is heavy, but like the action of the quick grip. Just pull the trigger and move it to the position you want and release.

Post #6, May 17, 2005 23:22:52

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,167 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

The Manfrotto 3232 Swivel Tilt head, or the 3299 Swivel-Tilt with RC2 quick release plate, are probably the most popular. You can easily flip the camera between Portrait and Landscape modes with this, and most other motions you can get by tilting the tripod proper. I go for the 3299 since my tripod pan and ball heads are also RC2-compatible.

Post #7, May 18, 2005 10:46:38

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

On my monopod, I use a Bogen 486 ball head that I've adpated to the Arca/Swiss QR system. The RC2 clamp is attached to the Bogen head with a 3/8"-16 stud in the monopod. I replaced it with an Arca/Swiss clamp from Really Right Stuff and it came already drilled and tapped for the 3/8-16 thread. I decided on the Arca/Swiss after acquiring a couple large lenses that really necessitated the more substantial hardware.

Post #8, May 18, 2005 10:55:33 as a reply to Jon's post 8 minutes earlier.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

KennyG
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2003
2,252 posts
Leeds, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I'll repeat what I have posted a few times before. For motorsport work you do NOT need a head on a monopod. One hand on the camera/shutter and the other on top of the lens to guide it. If you use a lens with a collar, you don't even need the flip-over head to go to portrait, just swivel the lens in the collar.

Post #9, May 18, 2005 14:53:04

Ken
Professional Motorsport Photographer
2 x 1D MK-II, 7D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L,
300 2.8L IS, 500 4.0L IS, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 1.4 & 2.0 MK-II TC.

Matt_P
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
20 posts
Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

KennyG wrote:
I'll repeat what I have posted a few times before. For motorsport work you do NOT need a head on a monopod. One hand on the camera/shutter and the other on top of the lens to guide it. If you use a lens with a collar, you don't even need the flip-over head to go to portrait, just swivel the lens in the collar.

Excellent! Thank you VERY much for that post. I had my camera attached to the monopod (via lens collar... 70-200mm F4L) without a head and I was wondering if having a head would really give me a further advantage. Good to know. Thank you all for the suggestions :D

Post #10, May 18, 2005 18:37:39 as a reply to KennyG's post 3 hours earlier.

Canon 20D
Canon 300D
EF-S 18-55mm
EF 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 USM
EF 70-200mm F4L
Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4
Metz Mecablitz 54MZ-3
Sigma 1.4x teleconverter

CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales
Joined Aug 2003
4,175 posts
Maryland, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Kenny is a pro, and he makes it work without a head, but I find a ballhead helpful with motorsport shooting. I am outside the fences when I shoot, and the terrain is not always the best. I sometimes find that i have to support the monopod on an angle, and panning is better with the ballhead, even with a tripod collar.

I have the Manfrotto 486RC2 head, and it seems to be a good choice. The tension screw can be adjusted to give you just the amount of drag you want, and the weight limit is about right.

My 2 cents.

Have Fun,

Post #11, May 18, 2005 20:19:42 as a reply to Matt_P's post 1 hour earlier.

Rick

My Gear list

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,366 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monopod head suggestions for panning
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES