Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of May 2005 (Tue)   #1
Matt_P

Default Monopod head suggestions for panning

I've purchased a lot of new equipment lately to gear myself up for obtaining better photos at motorsport events (the subject dearest to me ). Anyway, I was hoping someone with experience in the field would have a suggestion as to what monopod head would be ideal for shooting motorsporting event.. And I pan more than anything else. Up 'till this point I've been doing things handheld with mostly the "Sport mode" setting on my 300D. I am now finally understanding more about the camera and how to use the manual settings. I will be using Tv and Av settings mostly... Slow down the shutter speed a bit to get the nice blur effect rather than just freezing everything in motion. A monopod will help out a lot. Already got the pod, just havn't decided on the head.

Thank you in advance.
EF 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 USM
EF 70-200mm F4L
Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4
Metz Mecablitz 54MZ-3
Sigma 1.4x teleconverter
Matt_P is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of May 2005 (Tue)   #2
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

Default Re: Monopod head suggestions for panning

When I pan on a monoipod,. the whole pod is turning... never used a panning head on a 'pod.
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of May 2005 (Tue)   #3
Matt_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyneSystems
When I pan on a monoipod,. the whole pod is turning... never used a panning head on a 'pod.
Ahh, good to know So a ball head maybe?
EF 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 USM
EF 70-200mm F4L
Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4
Metz Mecablitz 54MZ-3
Sigma 1.4x teleconverter
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of May 2005 (Tue)   #4
tim
Light Bringer

I use a manfrotto monopod head that has one control that lets it turn the camera from portrait to landscape, and nothing else. If you don't need that, which you might not, just get the adaptor that lets you attach the camera straight to the monopod.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of May 2005 (Tue)   #5
Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop

Mine has tilt, and the ability to switch to portrait as Tim mentioned. Aside from that any other use and I move the entire monopod. A ball head or anything more than the most basic you can get is more (and heavier) than necessary.
Old 17th of May 2005 (Tue)   #6
lostdoggy
King Duffus

If you have a Manfrotto Pod it has a build in 1/4" male thread inside the 3/8" male thread. It will screw right on to the camera. For simple ball head you have to take into consideration the weight of body and and lens attached. I use a manfrotto Monopod w/ a verticle quick grip. The Combo is heavy, but like the action of the quick grip. Just pull the trigger and move it to the position you want and release.
lostdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2005 (Wed)   #7
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

The Manfrotto 3232 Swivel Tilt head, or the 3299 Swivel-Tilt with RC2 quick release plate, are probably the most popular. You can easily flip the camera between Portrait and Landscape modes with this, and most other motions you can get by tilting the tripod proper. I go for the 3299 since my tripod pan and ball heads are also RC2-compatible.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2005 (Wed)   #8
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop

On my monopod, I use a Bogen 486 ball head that I've adpated to the Arca/Swiss QR system. The RC2 clamp is attached to the Bogen head with a 3/8"-16 stud in the monopod. I replaced it with an Arca/Swiss clamp from Really Right Stuff and it came already drilled and tapped for the 3/8-16 thread. I decided on the Arca/Swiss after acquiring a couple large lenses that really necessitated the more substantial hardware.
Old 18th of May 2005 (Wed)   #9
KennyG
Goldmember

I'll repeat what I have posted a few times before. For motorsport work you do NOT need a head on a monopod. One hand on the camera/shutter and the other on top of the lens to guide it. If you use a lens with a collar, you don't even need the flip-over head to go to portrait, just swivel the lens in the collar.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
2 x 1D MK-II, 7D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L,
300 2.8L IS, 500 4.0L IS, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 1.4 & 2.0 MK-II TC.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2005 (Wed)   #10
Matt_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG
I'll repeat what I have posted a few times before. For motorsport work you do NOT need a head on a monopod. One hand on the camera/shutter and the other on top of the lens to guide it. If you use a lens with a collar, you don't even need the flip-over head to go to portrait, just swivel the lens in the collar.
Excellent! Thank you VERY much for that post. I had my camera attached to the monopod (via lens collar... 70-200mm F4L) without a head and I was wondering if having a head would really give me a further advantage. Good to know. Thank you all for the suggestions
EF 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 USM
EF 70-200mm F4L
Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4
Metz Mecablitz 54MZ-3
Sigma 1.4x teleconverter
Old 18th of May 2005 (Wed)   #11
CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales

Kenny is a pro, and he makes it work without a head, but I find a ballhead helpful with motorsport shooting. I am outside the fences when I shoot, and the terrain is not always the best. I sometimes find that i have to support the monopod on an angle, and panning is better with the ballhead, even with a tripod collar.

I have the Manfrotto 486RC2 head, and it seems to be a good choice. The tension screw can be adjusted to give you just the amount of drag you want, and the weight limit is about right.

My 2 cents.

Have Fun,

My Gear list
CoolToolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote