FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 25 Aug 2009 (Tuesday) 06:11   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

especht
Joined Jan 2006
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello!

I recently purchased a 580EX II for my 50D and would like to primarily use it for fill flash in outdoor portraits.

When I first begin shooting, the flash fires very consistently and the recycle time is great. No waiting time is required between shots. After about 50 photos, the recycle time becomes very noticeable, approximately 4-6 seconds. After 100 shots, it is really noticeable.

I am using the Nimh batteries that came with the flash and bougt 8 additional Nimh batteries for when the recycle time becomes very slow. After switching batteries, I experience the same thing as mentioned above.

After consulting with my manuals and other specifications, I saw that I should be getting approximately 400 photos per battery life.

Is there a certain setup on the 580 that could give me faster recycle time? Is there batteries that could give me faster recycle time? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Eric

Post #1, Aug 25, 2009 06:11:57

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Firotechnics
Joined Nov 2008
189 posts
Northern Bergen County, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

It all depends on what batteries your using there is a test thread some where but i can't seem to find it. I know someone else will post the link. To keep your recycle time up you could by the external battery pack, or bump up your iso and shoot at a lower flash power.

Post #2, Aug 25, 2009 07:48:32

Canon 30D & 5D Mark II, 17-40 F4L, 24-70 F2.8L, 50 F1.4, 100mm f2.8, 70-200 F2.8 IS, lensbaby, 580ex, 430ex, Radio Poppers, Bowens explorer 1500, and photoflex strobes

gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,380 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

That battery life estimate is also loosely based on type of use. If you are shooting in low ambient light your flash is putting out more light and probably using the focus assist beam more which would drain the batteries quicker than using it as fill on a cloudy day. Try this, get yourself a set of lithium batteries, do a shoot similar to those you tested the nimh batteries with. If the lithium drain similarly then you might have a flash issue. If not, you might consider changing your battery setup. Keep in mind that NIMH batteries dont store well, they lose charge fairly rapidly stored unused. Also all NIMH batteries are not created equal, a lot of bargain brands are rate their potential much higher than it is.

Post #3, Aug 25, 2009 09:02:40

bbvdm
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
1,075 posts
Kenmore, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

You mention "no waiting time is required between shots". Are you constantly shooting with flash? If so, the flash will heat up and automatically slow down. Eventually, it will stop altogether. The manual states you should let the flash rest after so many consecutive shots.

Post #4, Aug 25, 2009 09:07:26

Canon 5D MkII gripped, Canon 7D gripped, Canon 40D gripped, Canon XTI (IR) gripped, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 60 Macro 2.8, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS , Canon 24-105 4.0, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sekonic L-358, Canon Speedlite 580-EX II, (2)430-EX, Pocket Wizards, lots of other stuff that seems to keep growing...:lol:

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
19,389 posts
Camas, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

This may help:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=677074

Post #5, Aug 25, 2009 09:11:03

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

sponsored links
especht
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2006
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

bbvdm wrote in post #8519683external link
You mention "no waiting time is required between shots". Are you constantly shooting with flash?

It is pretty steady shooting. There is a line of individuals waiting to get their photo taken. I try to take two photos of each as they come through the line. At the beginning of the shoot, the recycle time was working great. After about 75 shots, I was waiting a little longer. Then it got progressively longer as the shoot went on.

Post #6, Aug 25, 2009 10:37:14

gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,380 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

especht wrote in post #8520143external link
It is pretty steady shooting. There is a line of individuals waiting to get their photo taken. I try to take two photos of each as they come through the line. At the beginning of the shoot, the recycle time was working great. After about 75 shots, I was waiting a little longer. Then it got progressively longer as the shoot went on.

Then you are just wearing your batteries down.

Post #7, Aug 25, 2009 10:48:40

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
1,162 posts
CHiCAGO
[MORE/SHARE]

I just popped close to 300 shots with my 580EXII this past weekend for a photoshoot with my eneloops that weren't fully charged (completely forgot to charge them before shoot) but I was amazed to see they had survived the shoot in style!

I didn't notice any long recycle times and they are still going strong now, without recharge! (better charge them tonight though, just in case)

btw, I shot ETTL and there was decent, but not enough adequate light.

Post #8, Aug 25, 2009 10:54:14

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'dexternal link

especht
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2006
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Could somebody please share how to setup the 580 for flash fill use? I do not really need a bright flash, but rather a setup that provides enough flash for filling in shadows on the face (for example, shadows created by a hat).

Post #9, Aug 26, 2009 06:21:33 as a reply to [Hyuni]'s post 19 hours earlier.

lefturn99
Joined Feb 2005
820 posts
Tulsa Oklahoma USA
[MORE/SHARE]

One way to extend your flash life is to boost the ISO a little.

I'm still learning about ETTL II but I think I read that if you use Av mode it will default to fill. If not, decrease the flash exposure compensation. The less light, the longer the batteries will last.

Post #10, Aug 26, 2009 08:39:16

6D, 5D Mk III, 60D, EOS M, Gear List

especht
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2006
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

lefturn99 wrote in post #8525435external link

I'm still learning about ETTL II but I think I read that if you use Av mode it will default to fill. If not, decrease the flash exposure compensation. The less light, the longer the batteries will last.

Great, thanks a lot!

Post #11, Aug 26, 2009 13:41:29

sponsored links
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,380 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

lefturn99 wrote in post #8525435external link

Don't decrease the flash exposure compensation at the expense of exposing the image properly just to save batteries. What would be the point in that?

Post #12, Aug 26, 2009 13:51:19

lefturn99
Joined Feb 2005
820 posts
Tulsa Oklahoma USA
[MORE/SHARE]

gonzogolf wrote in post #8527132external link
Don't decrease the flash exposure compensation at the expense of exposing the image properly just to save batteries. What would be the point in that?

He was also asking about using the flash for fill. I was addressing that. Of course I was not suggesting making the batteries last longer by underexposing the image.

Post #13, Aug 26, 2009 14:36:44

6D, 5D Mk III, 60D, EOS M, Gear List

Mystwalker
Joined Feb 2008
607 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I had similar problem but not to tune of 50 shots (seems awfully low) - I'm guessing, the type of battery you are using plus lighting conditions will have a big affect. I use 2700mAH rechargeables. Today, I also use Canon's battery pack - now I just have to be careful to not overheat/burnout flash.

Post #14, Aug 26, 2009 14:39:47

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

ISO100/F8 will wear the batteries down quickly. Raise your iso, open up the lens, and use the shutter speed to limit ambient light entering the flash.

Get a CP-E4 battery packexternal link if you need faster recharge speeds, but be careful not to burn out the flash head - though it has protection. Get a good battery chargerexternal link and some of the Powerex cells linked from that page on amazon if you want good batteries, or get some of the low discharge cells if they suit you better.

especht wrote in post #8525014external link
Could somebody please share how to setup the 580 for flash fill use? I do not really need a bright flash, but rather a setup that provides enough flash for filling in shadows on the face (for example, shadows created by a hat).

Av mode, FEC to -1 or 0.

Post #15, Aug 26, 2009 20:36:24

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,753 views & 0 likes for this thread
580EX II Recycle Time
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES