Members Photoshopping other Members photos???

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 19 May 2005 (Thursday) 12:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Toogy
"I like pictures of myself!"
Joined Nov 2003
6,245 posts
Ontario, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Not sure where to post this, but I am noticing this alot more lately on here. Somebody posts a picture and before you know it, somebody has taken the image into photoshop and 'fixed' it or so they think.
I don't really have a problem with this, but it would be nice if people asked before just assuming that we are ok with them doing it.

Does anybody else feel this way?

Post #1, May 19, 2005 12:41:30

Toogood Studiosexternal link
Good Light and Shoot to the Right....

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2004
20,891 posts
Copenhagen, Denmark.
[MORE/SHARE]

It often depends on how the original poster frases the post.

But I think it is common sense to ask first unless the poster specifically requests it. But now I should probably not say more because when I last voiced this opinion people that were doing this favor got offended.

[diving to cover....]

Post #2, May 19, 2005 12:47:28

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED
Best Regards Tommy
My Photosexternal link -=- about.meexternal link -=- My Facebook, if you add me please send me a pm alsoexternal link
GAPS Africa I 2007 photosexternal link -=- GAPS Africa II 2008 photosexternal link -=- GAPS Africa IV 2011 photosexternal link -=- GAPS = Great African Photo Safari

etaf
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
1,221 posts
Surrey, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

an interesting post - I feel the best way to show someone what you mean is by taking the picture and making the changes or crop etc - then the poster can ignore it,
If people are posting for advice help etc its much easier and more effective to show them rather than write about it.
I have never done this on this forum yet, but have on another forum although I have asked the poster - or stated that if they object i would delete my post.

IMO i feel that if you post a picture here for any advice, you should expect people to do that...
If you only want to show the image then maybe a not to say - please do not critique/comment on my picture, isnt taking the picture and making changes just a different way to make your comment in pictures rather than words :) :)

Post #3, May 19, 2005 12:53:48

60D | EF-S 18-200 | 50mm 2.5 macro | 550EX | Pro1 | Elements

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2004
20,891 posts
Copenhagen, Denmark.
[MORE/SHARE]

etaf wrote:
IMO i feel that if you post a picture here for any advice, you should expect people to do that...

It depends on which forum it is posted in. In my opinion it is a big no-no if the photo has been posted in the share forums. Only in Critique forum would it be okay, but I would still expect users to ask first.

Post #4, May 19, 2005 13:00:50 as a reply to etaf's post 7 minutes earlier.

Best Regards Tommy
My Photosexternal link -=- about.meexternal link -=- My Facebook, if you add me please send me a pm alsoexternal link
GAPS Africa I 2007 photosexternal link -=- GAPS Africa II 2008 photosexternal link -=- GAPS Africa IV 2011 photosexternal link -=- GAPS = Great African Photo Safari

mdm
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
1,783 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

No.

Post #5, May 19, 2005 13:01:35

sponsored links
kawter2
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2004
2,046 posts
Orange County, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I.E.

This post, http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=74532 the member posted this along with a pic in the "PEOPLE" "SHARING" section

paulhillion wrote:
I don't really do portraits but I took this shot at a recent wedding & I really like the way it turned out. 2 of the bridesmaids came over to my table for a chat & I just picked up my camera which had my 2 day old 50mm f/1.4 on & took one rather quckly composed shot. I thought I'd share it here!
**IMAGE REMOVED**

Thanks for looking.

Next thing 2 people edited and posted...... 1 it is just a sharing forum and 2 they never asked for any help..

**note**
to the members that made the edit.. I am not intentionally pointing you two out, this happens ALL the time and is just a recient example, and thus why you are mentioned

Post #6, May 19, 2005 13:14:52

Wedding Blogexternal link
Eric J. Weddingsexternal link

mrclark321
Noinker
Joined Mar 2005
7,508 posts
.... with a long history
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't see a problem with it, If everyone had to ask permission most likely you would not get much help this way!!

Dan

Post #7, May 19, 2005 13:17:28 as a reply to kawter2's post 2 minutes earlier.

A crap pile of various gear!

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,169 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

If someone's asking for critique, cropping might be appropriate. If they're asking about lens performance, showing what a skilled PhotoShopper can do to the out-of-camera images is in order. Post-processing examples may be helpful. But if the picture's posted as a share, or to illustrate lighting or technique then editing it isn't in order.

Post #8, May 19, 2005 13:28:05

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2004
20,891 posts
Copenhagen, Denmark.
[MORE/SHARE]

mrclark321 wrote:
I don't see a problem with it, If everyone had to ask permission most likely you would not get much help this way!!

Again it depends where it was posted and how it was posted.

If the poster asks how a photo can be improved then yes. But if it has just been posted to share it, anybody that want to improve it should ask first.

I understand that it is done with best intentions in mind but it is common courtesy to for me to ask first.

And I simply can't get it into my mind that just because a photo has been posted on the internet it appears to be free game for anybody that want to "improve" the photo. What if the editor really did a poor job and made a worse photo?

Post #9, May 19, 2005 14:09:34 as a reply to mrclark321's post 52 minutes earlier.

Best Regards Tommy

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2004
20,891 posts
Copenhagen, Denmark.
[MORE/SHARE]

kawter2 wrote:
I.E.

This post, http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=74532 the member posted this along with a pic in the "PEOPLE" "SHARING" section

Next thing 2 people edited and posted...... 1 it is just a sharing forum and 2 they never asked for any help..

**note**
to the members that made the edit.. I am not intentionally pointing you two out, this happens ALL the time and is just a recient example, and thus why you are mentioned

Eric, I am so glad You share my opinion.

I have had this happen too with one of my photos. I don't pretend I am a master but I expect users to respect that unless I ask for edits then I don't want edits. The one time this happend to me I very kindly asked the editor to remove the photo. I then started a thread like this but the editor in question and a few others that also think it is ok to edit away got so offended that I had the nerve to ask him to remove his edit of my photo that I eventually asked a moderator to move the thread to a hidden forum where it probably stills sits. So this is really a touchy subject.

Post #10, May 19, 2005 14:16:01 as a reply to kawter2's post 1 hour earlier.

Best Regards Tommy

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
Joined May 2005
4,052 posts
Piteå, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

Why not start a forum with photo's that you don't know what's wrong with it, but you know something is wrong. Then people can help out and tell what they did and how they did it.

I personally don't mind at all that people will work in my photo's to make them better. It's till my picture and if I don't like what they do with it, I just ingore it. However those who done big improvements on a photo I've taken, I've learnt a lot from.

I myself would not hesitate to fix someone's photo if i see there's potential in the image, that's not taking advantage of... 1. because the person is a beginner with Photoshop (I'm not, and can give good advice) or 2. because the person imply they aren't happy with the picture and want input, or 3. others can learn a new technique, even if the poster doesn't appreciate it (or didn't ask for it). 4. I learn something new myself while I'm doing it.

If I post an image and people are offended and ask me to remove it from my server, fine. That's not a problem at all. But I do believe sometimes people are too sensitive and might not want to learn stuff and get offended when someone wants to have a go at your photo. If people want to have a go at one of my photo's I take it as people think it has potential to be better, so teach me something new and next time I'll post a better version of another subject with the new technique I was taught.

Post #11, May 19, 2005 14:38:28

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

sponsored links
tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2004
20,891 posts
Copenhagen, Denmark.
[MORE/SHARE]

CyberPet wrote:
Why not start a forum with photo's that you don't know what's wrong with it, but you know something is wrong. Then people can help out and tell what they did and how they did it.

I don't think a new forum is required for this. A simple rule could be if the photo is posted in "Photo sharing" then its a no-no to edit, but if You need to edit then ask first. If it is posted in "Critique corner" its free game.

Post #12, May 19, 2005 14:43:21 as a reply to CyberPet's post 4 minutes earlier.

Best Regards Tommy

jukas
Joined Mar 2004
469 posts
California, United States
[MORE/SHARE]

I wouldn't modify someone elses photo without asking first unless it or they said something like "How do I fix this" or "Fix this please" or "Can anyone fix this?" in which case I would not only post the edited photo but what I did to get there. This would show them not only what I considered a "fix" but the steps I took to get there thus hopefully adding to their existing knowledge.

If I saw a photo I thought would look cool in a different way I would probably contact them and ask if it was ok. This does two things, it saves me time if they aren't ok with it and it respects their work and keeps me from overstepping what I feel is my boundaries.

Now if I saw an image I just *HAD* to see what a certain effect might look like on it and they didn't want me posting an edited version I might still edit it just to see what the end result looked like but would never post it.

Post #13, May 19, 2005 14:49:01

Canon 1D Mark III | Canon 20D | Canon EOS 3
70 - 200 f/2.8 IS L | 24 - 70 f/2.8 L | 300 f4 IS L | 50 f/1.8 MkII
1.4x II | Speedlight 550EX

kawter2
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2004
2,046 posts
Orange County, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

tommykjensen wrote:
Eric, I am so glad You share my opinion.

Yea I am amazed sometimes,... i feel like the only one that thinks this is rude, not as much much when someone does it to me, but more so when i see someones hard worked blasted by someones half cocked idea that the photo needs to be "FIXED"

Post #14, May 19, 2005 14:49:21 as a reply to tommykjensen's post 33 minutes earlier.

Wedding Blogexternal link
Eric J. Weddingsexternal link

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2004
20,891 posts
Copenhagen, Denmark.
[MORE/SHARE]

jukas wrote:
I wouldn't modify someone elses photo without asking first unless it or they said something like "How do I fix this" or "Fix this please" or "Can anyone fix this?" in which case I would not only post the edited photo but what I did to get there. This would show them not only what I considered a "fix" but the steps I took to get there thus hopefully adding to their existing knowledge.

If I saw a photo I thought would look cool in a different way I would probably contact them and ask if it was ok. This does two things, it saves me time if they aren't ok with it and it respects their work and keeps me from overstepping what I feel is my boundaries.

Now if I saw an image I just *HAD* to see what a certain effect might look like on it and they didn't want me posting an edited version I might still edit it just to see what the end result looked like but would never post it.

And that is in my opinion the proper way to do it.

Post #15, May 19, 2005 14:51:37 as a reply to jukas's post 2 minutes earlier.

Best Regards Tommy

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,054 views & 0 likes for this thread
Members Photoshopping other Members photos???
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES