Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The POTN Lounge
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #1
Toogy
"I like pictures of myself!"

Default Members Photoshopping other Members photos???

Not sure where to post this, but I am noticing this alot more lately on here. Somebody posts a picture and before you know it, somebody has taken the image into photoshop and 'fixed' it or so they think.
I don't really have a problem with this, but it would be nice if people asked before just assuming that we are ok with them doing it.

Does anybody else feel this way?

Good Light and Shoot to the Right....
Toogy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #2
tommykjensen
The Admin Dane
"Nobody is safe!"

Default Re: Members Photoshopping other Members photos???

It often depends on how the original poster frases the post.

But I think it is common sense to ask first unless the poster specifically requests it. But now I should probably not say more because when I last voiced this opinion people that were doing this favor got offended.

[diving to cover....]
tommykjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #3
etaf

an interesting post - I feel the best way to show someone what you mean is by taking the picture and making the changes or crop etc - then the poster can ignore it,
If people are posting for advice help etc its much easier and more effective to show them rather than write about it.
I have never done this on this forum yet, but have on another forum although I have asked the poster - or stated that if they object i would delete my post.

IMO i feel that if you post a picture here for any advice, you should expect people to do that...
If you only want to show the image then maybe a not to say - please do not critique/comment on my picture, isnt taking the picture and making changes just a different way to make your comment in pictures rather than words
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #4
tommykjensen
The Admin Dane
"Nobody is safe!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf
IMO i feel that if you post a picture here for any advice, you should expect people to do that...
It depends on which forum it is posted in. In my opinion it is a big no-no if the photo has been posted in the share forums. Only in Critique forum would it be okay, but I would still expect users to ask first.
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #5
mdm

No.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #6
kawter2
Goldmember

I.E.

This post, http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74532 the member posted this along with a pic in the "PEOPLE" "SHARING" section

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhillion
I don't really do portraits but I took this shot at a recent wedding & I really like the way it turned out. 2 of the bridesmaids came over to my table for a chat & I just picked up my camera which had my 2 day old 50mm f/1.4 on & took one rather quckly composed shot. I thought I'd share it here!
**IMAGE REMOVED**

Thanks for looking.

Next thing 2 people edited and posted...... 1 it is just a sharing forum and 2 they never asked for any help..

**note**
to the members that made the edit.. I am not intentionally pointing you two out, this happens ALL the time and is just a recient example, and thus why you are mentioned

Wedding Blog
Eric J. Weddings
kawter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #7
mrclark321
Noinker

I don't see a problem with it, If everyone had to ask permission most likely you would not get much help this way!!

Dan
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #8
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

If someone's asking for critique, cropping might be appropriate. If they're asking about lens performance, showing what a skilled PhotoShopper can do to the out-of-camera images is in order. Post-processing examples may be helpful. But if the picture's posted as a share, or to illustrate lighting or technique then editing it isn't in order.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #9
tommykjensen
The Admin Dane
"Nobody is safe!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclark321
I don't see a problem with it, If everyone had to ask permission most likely you would not get much help this way!!
Again it depends where it was posted and how it was posted.

If the poster asks how a photo can be improved then yes. But if it has just been posted to share it, anybody that want to improve it should ask first.

I understand that it is done with best intentions in mind but it is common courtesy to for me to ask first.

And I simply can't get it into my mind that just because a photo has been posted on the internet it appears to be free game for anybody that want to "improve" the photo. What if the editor really did a poor job and made a worse photo?
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #10
tommykjensen
The Admin Dane
"Nobody is safe!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawter2
I.E.

This post, http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74532 the member posted this along with a pic in the "PEOPLE" "SHARING" section

Next thing 2 people edited and posted...... 1 it is just a sharing forum and 2 they never asked for any help..

**note**
to the members that made the edit.. I am not intentionally pointing you two out, this happens ALL the time and is just a recient example, and thus why you are mentioned
Eric, I am so glad You share my opinion.

I have had this happen too with one of my photos. I don't pretend I am a master but I expect users to respect that unless I ask for edits then I don't want edits. The one time this happend to me I very kindly asked the editor to remove the photo. I then started a thread like this but the editor in question and a few others that also think it is ok to edit away got so offended that I had the nerve to ask him to remove his edit of my photo that I eventually asked a moderator to move the thread to a hidden forum where it probably stills sits. So this is really a touchy subject.
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #11
CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock

Why not start a forum with photo's that you don't know what's wrong with it, but you know something is wrong. Then people can help out and tell what they did and how they did it.

I personally don't mind at all that people will work in my photo's to make them better. It's till my picture and if I don't like what they do with it, I just ingore it. However those who done big improvements on a photo I've taken, I've learnt a lot from.

I myself would not hesitate to fix someone's photo if i see there's potential in the image, that's not taking advantage of... 1. because the person is a beginner with Photoshop (I'm not, and can give good advice) or 2. because the person imply they aren't happy with the picture and want input, or 3. others can learn a new technique, even if the poster doesn't appreciate it (or didn't ask for it). 4. I learn something new myself while I'm doing it.

If I post an image and people are offended and ask me to remove it from my server, fine. That's not a problem at all. But I do believe sometimes people are too sensitive and might not want to learn stuff and get offended when someone wants to have a go at your photo. If people want to have a go at one of my photo's I take it as people think it has potential to be better, so teach me something new and next time I'll post a better version of another subject with the new technique I was taught.
CyberPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #12
tommykjensen
The Admin Dane
"Nobody is safe!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPet
Why not start a forum with photo's that you don't know what's wrong with it, but you know something is wrong. Then people can help out and tell what they did and how they did it.
I don't think a new forum is required for this. A simple rule could be if the photo is posted in "Photo sharing" then its a no-no to edit, but if You need to edit then ask first. If it is posted in "Critique corner" its free game.
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #13
jukas

I wouldn't modify someone elses photo without asking first unless it or they said something like "How do I fix this" or "Fix this please" or "Can anyone fix this?" in which case I would not only post the edited photo but what I did to get there. This would show them not only what I considered a "fix" but the steps I took to get there thus hopefully adding to their existing knowledge.

If I saw a photo I thought would look cool in a different way I would probably contact them and ask if it was ok. This does two things, it saves me time if they aren't ok with it and it respects their work and keeps me from overstepping what I feel is my boundaries.

Now if I saw an image I just *HAD* to see what a certain effect might look like on it and they didn't want me posting an edited version I might still edit it just to see what the end result looked like but would never post it.
jukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #14
kawter2
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykjensen
Eric, I am so glad You share my opinion.
Yea I am amazed sometimes,... i feel like the only one that thinks this is rude, not as much much when someone does it to me, but more so when i see someones hard worked blasted by someones half cocked idea that the photo needs to be "FIXED"

Wedding Blog
Eric J. Weddings
kawter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2005 (Thu)   #15
tommykjensen
The Admin Dane
"Nobody is safe!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukas
I wouldn't modify someone elses photo without asking first unless it or they said something like "How do I fix this" or "Fix this please" or "Can anyone fix this?" in which case I would not only post the edited photo but what I did to get there. This would show them not only what I considered a "fix" but the steps I took to get there thus hopefully adding to their existing knowledge.

If I saw a photo I thought would look cool in a different way I would probably contact them and ask if it was ok. This does two things, it saves me time if they aren't ok with it and it respects their work and keeps me from overstepping what I feel is my boundaries.

Now if I saw an image I just *HAD* to see what a certain effect might look like on it and they didn't want me posting an edited version I might still edit it just to see what the end result looked like but would never post it.
And that is in my opinion the proper way to do it.