okay, it feels like i've looked everywhere to try and solve this problem but i can't find the solution.
my computer doesn't recognise the camera when i plug it in with a USB cable.
things to know:
- all programs are installed from CD that came with the camera
- operating system is WinLSD/Windows XP
- i have tried connecting this to another computer running on the same OS and it worked
- when i plug in my camera, the computer doesn't even make the usual sound when USB devices are plugged in. it makes a strange one which i assume is the sound for when it doesn't recognise the device
- i use a 4GB San-Disk SDHC card, i've read about updating the firmware as a means of perhaps solving the problem but do NOT want to do this as i don't want to format my card and lose the 700+ images i've taken
- i plug in the camera (after everything's installed) and then turn it on
- "BUSY" appears on the screen
- then, nothing. the camera screen switches to regular display screen before you take a picture, and nothing appears on the computer screen when what's supposed to happen is EOS Utility opens or the transfer image screen shows up on the camera
- i open EOS utility manually and the "Starts to download images", "Lets you select and download images", etc, buttons are inactive.
- i open the peripheral window to discover that my camera isn't even listed on the list as a plugged-in device.
- i unplug the camera, and the computer makes the sound that it usually makes when a USB device is unplugged (thereby confirming that it knew that SOMETHING was connected)
- i am left extremely confused
what i don't understand is why it doesn't work on this computer but it worked on the other one when everything was exactly the same.
also: i tried downloading the TWAIN driver from the canon europe website. i double-clicked on the setup.exe after extracting all the files and for some reason it says "PTP file for Windows XP not found" or something.
thanks in advance, i'm SO DESPERATE!