HELP: Computer Unable To Detect Camera (EOS 450D)

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 31 Aug 2009 (Monday) 09:14   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

serenade
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2009
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

okay, it feels like i've looked everywhere to try and solve this problem but i can't find the solution.

my computer doesn't recognise the camera when i plug it in with a USB cable.

things to know:

• all programs are installed from CD that came with the camera
  • operating system is WinLSD/Windows XP
  • i have tried connecting this to another computer running on the same OS and it worked
  • when i plug in my camera, the computer doesn't even make the usual sound when USB devices are plugged in. it makes a strange one which i assume is the sound for when it doesn't recognise the device
  • i use a 4GB San-Disk SDHC card, i've read about updating the firmware as a means of perhaps solving the problem but do NOT want to do this as i don't want to format my card and lose the 700+ images i've taken
what happens now:
  • i plug in the camera (after everything's installed) and then turn it on
  • "BUSY" appears on the screen
  • then, nothing. the camera screen switches to regular display screen before you take a picture, and nothing appears on the computer screen when what's supposed to happen is EOS Utility opens or the transfer image screen shows up on the camera
  • i open EOS utility manually and the "Starts to download images", "Lets you select and download images", etc, buttons are inactive.
  • i open the peripheral window to discover that my camera isn't even listed on the list as a plugged-in device.
  • i unplug the camera, and the computer makes the sound that it usually makes when a USB device is unplugged (thereby confirming that it knew that SOMETHING was connected)
  • i am left extremely confused

what i don't understand is why it doesn't work on this computer but it worked on the other one when everything was exactly the same.

also: i tried downloading the TWAIN driver from the canon europe website. i double-clicked on the setup.exe after extracting all the files and for some reason it says "PTP file for Windows XP not found" or something.

thanks in advance, i'm SO DESPERATE! :cry:

Post #1, Aug 31, 2009 09:14:17

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
WhyFi
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
2,304 posts
I got a castle in Brooklyn, that's where I dwell.
[MORE/SHARE]

Go in to the menu settings of your camera, find the "Communication" setting - there are only two choices, switch to the other and try again. At the very least, you should be able to see it as an external drive or similar.

Post #2, Aug 31, 2009 09:24:33

Do what works for you.
Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.
Gear | Webexternal link

Rayk
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,771 posts
Luton, Bedfordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Questions:

Can you download the images via a card reader?

Have you checked the device manger after you connect the camera?

I know what Windows XP is but what is operating system is WinLSD/Windows XP

Try looking hereexternal link and hereexternal linkfrom more info on MTP

Post #3, Aug 31, 2009 09:33:16 as a reply to WhyFi's post 8 minutes earlier.

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- ACA - Adobe Certified Associate -
www.rakphotographic.co​mexternal link
Follow me on Facebookexternal link
Follow me on Twitterexternal link

LeeRatters
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
3,428 posts
Bristol, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

i'm running xp home on mine & i've found the autoplay camera/scanner wizard [or whatever it's called] doesn't recognise the raw files.
i can import directly to lightroom or what i tend to do is click 'my computer' '450d' etc & drag/drop the files into the appropriate folder that i want them in - i used to do this with the old fuji s9500 if shooting raw - then i import into LR or PS etc
i have installed the EOS utility today though so don't know if that will make any difference.

Post #4, Aug 31, 2009 09:38:41 as a reply to Rayk's post 5 minutes earlier.

>> Flickr <<external link

Rayk
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,771 posts
Luton, Bedfordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

LeeRatters wrote in post #8554494external link
i'm running xp home on mine & i've found the autoplay camera/scanner wizard [or whatever it's called] doesn't recognise the raw files.
i can import directly to lightroom or what i tend to do is click 'my computer' '450d' etc & drag/drop the files into the appropriate folder that i want them in - i used to do this with the old fuji s9500 if shooting raw - then i import into LR or PS etc
i have installed the EOS utility today though so don't know if that will make any difference.

If you are using XP, try downloading and installing thisexternal link.

Post #5, Aug 31, 2009 09:47:35

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- ACA - Adobe Certified Associate -

sponsored links
serenade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2009
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Go in to the menu settings of your camera, find the "Communication" setting - there are only two choices, switch to the other and try again. At the very least, you should be able to see it as an external drive or similar.

i read this while looking to solve my problem but can't find the Communication setting. where is it, exactly? is there an image online somewhere that i can look at?

Questions:

Can you download the images via a card reader?

Have you checked the device manger after you connect the camera?

I know what Windows XP is but what is operating system is WinLSD/Windows XP

Try looking here and here from more info on MTP

no, i don't have one :(

yes, that's what i meant when i said that the camera doesn't show up on the list.

WinLSD is like a copy-program or something. sorry, i don't actually know what it is. i'm on exchange in france and this is my host family's computer. normally i would blame my camera not working on the fact that the computer is running on a weird system, but it worked on my host brother's computer which is exactly the same (OS-wise) as this one, so that can't be the problem.

thanks, i'll have a look :)

thanks for trying, but unfortunately the computer doesn't seem to recognise what the camera is in the first place :(

note: i forgot to mention, i tried hooking up the camera before installing anything (to see if it would work) and the computer DID recognise it (it asked me to insert the installation CD for the Canon EOD 450D camera).

Post #6, Aug 31, 2009 09:58:48

Rayk
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,771 posts
Luton, Bedfordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Try this:

1. Create a new folder on drive C named Camera.
  2. To download updated WIA drivers for your camera model, visit the following Canon Web site: http://www.usa.canon.c​om/consumer/controller​?act=DownloadIndexActexternal link (http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...ller?act=DownloadIn​dexActexternal link)
  3. Save the new driver file to the C:\Camera folder.
  4. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
  5. Select the Canon camera software, and then click Remove. Repeat this step until all Canon camera software has been removed.
  6. Disconnect all Universal Serial Port (USB) port devices except drivers for the keyboard and mouse.
  7. Restart the computer to make sure that all driver files are unloaded from memory and removed.
  8. Open the C:\Camera folder and then double-click the driver file to start the extraction wizard. The wizard will default to the C:\Windows\Desktop folder. Note Do not use this default folder. You must specify the C:\Camera folder on the Extract to command line.
  9. Extract the files.
  10. Open the C:\Camera folder, and then open the English subfolder.
  11. Double-click Setup.exe to start installation.
  12. Connect the camera to the USB port. After the computer detects the camera, you may receive an error message similar to the following: windows image acquisition service error system cannot find file specified, "imaging."

Click OK in response to this message.
  13. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
  14. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
  15. Expand Imaging Devices. The camera should now be listed.
  16. Right-click the camera name, and then click Properties.
  17. Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.
  18. Click to select Install the software automatically (Recommended), and then click Next. The new driver files may be located in the C:\Windows\Twain_32\Ca​nondc folder. Click Next to finish the wizard.
  19. Disconnect the camera from the USB port.
  20. Restart the computer to make sure all new driver files are loaded into memory.
  21. Reconnect the camera to the USB port of the computer. A Choose Application window will appear to ask what program to use for imaging.
Other questions:

What service pack do you have installed with XP?

Have you do things in the order as on pages 146 to 150 of your manual?

Post #7, Aug 31, 2009 10:13:22 as a reply to serenade's post 14 minutes earlier.

Regards Ray

serenade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2009
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Rayk: thanks so much, i'll definitely try this. but before that, i'd like to try the advice WhyFi gave me above - however, i can't find the Communication setting. where is it? i've googled this and on a french website it's apparently under Menu Options 2, but under that i have:

AEB
Flash exp comp
Custom WB
WB SHIFT/BKT
Color space
Picture Style
Dust Delete Data

Where is the communication setting?

Post #8, Aug 31, 2009 10:23:48 as a reply to Rayk's post 10 minutes earlier.

serenade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2009
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

also: OPERATING SYSTEM INFO c+p'd from My Computer properties:

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Post #9, Aug 31, 2009 10:26:16 as a reply to Rayk's post 12 minutes earlier.

Rayk
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,771 posts
Luton, Bedfordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

serenade wrote in post #8554710external link
Rayk: thanks so much, i'll definitely try this. but before that, i'd like to try the advice WhyFi gave me above - however, i can't find the Communication setting. where is it? i've googled this and on a french website it's apparently under Menu Options 2, but under that i have:

AEB
Flash exp comp
Custom WB
WB SHIFT/BKT
Color space
Picture Style
Dust Delete Data

Where is the communication setting?

I don`t have a 450D myself, but I suspect he may have given you some wrong info in error.

Post #10, Aug 31, 2009 10:47:34

Regards Ray

serenade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2009
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Rayk wrote in post #8554664external link
Try this:

1. Create a new folder on drive C named Camera.
  2. To download updated WIA drivers for your camera model, visit the following Canon Web site: http://www.usa.canon.c​om/consumer/controller​?act=DownloadIndexActexternal link (http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...ller?act=DownloadIn​dexActexternal link)
  3. Save the new driver file to the C:\Camera folder.
  4. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
  5. Select the Canon camera software, and then click Remove. Repeat this step until all Canon camera software has been removed.
  6. Disconnect all Universal Serial Port (USB) port devices except drivers for the keyboard and mouse.
  7. Restart the computer to make sure that all driver files are unloaded from memory and removed.
  8. Open the C:\Camera folder and then double-click the driver file to start the extraction wizard. The wizard will default to the C:\Windows\Desktop folder. Note Do not use this default folder. You must specify the C:\Camera folder on the Extract to command line.
  9. Extract the files.
  10. Open the C:\Camera folder, and then open the English subfolder.
  11. Double-click Setup.exe to start installation.
  12. Connect the camera to the USB port. After the computer detects the camera, you may receive an error message similar to the following: windows image acquisition service error system cannot find file specified, "imaging."

Click OK in response to this message.
  13. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
  14. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
  15. Expand Imaging Devices. The camera should now be listed.
  16. Right-click the camera name, and then click Properties.
  17. Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.
  18. Click to select Install the software automatically (Recommended), and then click Next. The new driver files may be located in the C:\Windows\Twain_32\Ca​nondc folder. Click Next to finish the wizard.
  19. Disconnect the camera from the USB port.
  20. Restart the computer to make sure all new driver files are loaded into memory.
  21. Reconnect the camera to the USB port of the computer. A Choose Application window will appear to ask what program to use for imaging.
Other questions:

What service pack do you have installed with XP?

Have you do things in the order as on pages 146 to 150 of your manual?

i've gotten up to step 2.

i get this when i select Windows XP: No drivers are available for this selection. This operating system may not require a driver or, in the case of older operating systems, may no longer be supported.

edit: i'm going to try downloading the one that's listed under Windows 2000: "Canon EOS PTP TWAIN Driver 1.7.0"

edit 2: getting same message as mentioned in my first post.
"PTP Driver file for Windows XP not found. Click [OK] to cancel the installation"

Post #11, Aug 31, 2009 11:36:28

sponsored links
Rayk
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,771 posts
Luton, Bedfordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Try hereexternal link
Also lookhere andhereexternal link

Post #12, Aug 31, 2009 11:47:10 as a reply to serenade's post 10 minutes earlier.

Regards Ray

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,530 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

SDHC readers are $5 shipped on ebay. Just get one and forget about all the software crap. Insert SD card, Plug it in to USB port, copy files, delete, done.

Post #13, Aug 31, 2009 11:50:58

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

WhyFi
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
2,304 posts
I got a castle in Brooklyn, that's where I dwell.
[MORE/SHARE]

Just looked through the owner's manual - sorry, different menu and no similar setting.

Oops!

Post #14, Aug 31, 2009 11:51:55

Do what works for you.
Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.
Gear | Webexternal link

Rayk
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,771 posts
Luton, Bedfordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

tkbslc wrote in post #8555249external link
SDHC readers are $5 shipped on ebay. Just get one and forget about all the software crap. Insert SD card, Plug it in to USB port, copy files, delete, done.

Good point, but it still would be nice to crack the problem

Post #15, Aug 31, 2009 11:54:10

Regards Ray

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
HELP: Computer Unable To Detect Camera (EOS 450D)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES