Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Urban Life & Travel
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st of August 2009 (Mon)   #1
CaptainTonus

Default Fort Ord (abandoned military base)

Where do I even start? This is easily the most amazing place I've ever had the pleasure of visiting and/or photographing. It literally blew me away.

Long-story-short, I went on a little weekend getaway to Monterey Bay with a friend of mine. She used to go to school up there. She says "hey, you like abandoned places, there's an abandoned military base by my old college." I'm like "ok", but I was thinking it would probably be super lame and/or impossible to get in to. Boy was I wrong...

We roll up to the campus, and immediately I'm in shock. There are abandoned buildings EVERYWHERE. As far as the eye can see almost. I didn't even know where to start shooting! The most amazing part of it is there is a fully-functioning college amidst all this abandoned military infrastructure. Here's this super modern library, right next to a bunch of defunct barracks. Seriously unbelievable. Ok, let's get on with the photos.

1.)

2.) Inside one of the buildings pictured above. Seriously pitch black in there, I was very nervous at first but I got more and more comfortable with it.

3.)

4.)

5.) Chapel

6.) This room gave me the creeps. Paint everywhere.

7.)

8.)

Here is the full set from that weekend.
http://home.tiora.net/tony/index.php?path=Fort%20Ord

We went back twice. I would have needed a LOT more time than that to explore everything. Another thing that shocked me about this place was the fact that we were basically allowed to roam free, no one hassled us the entire time, and there were security cars rolling around all over the place. It was like I died and went to urban exploration heaven. Haha.
Old 1st of September 2009 (Tue)   #2
izthistaken
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Fort Ord (abandoned military base)

Awesome stuff! I want! haha
izthistaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of September 2009 (Tue)   #3
SkedAddled

Amazing place here. What a playground!
This and the rest of your set are very interesting. Thanks for posting!

Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?
SkedAddled is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of September 2009 (Wed)   #4
BIG H

All wonderful pics. I like #3 and #4 most - nice processing. This place needs more exploration
7D, 40D, 20D, S5is, canon: 100-400LIS, 70-200 f2.8L, 18-55 EFS, 17-55 f2.8 IS EFS, 28-135 IS, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 135 f2.0; sigma: 24-70 EX DG macro; tokina: 10-17 fisheye; 580EX II, 430EX
BIG H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of September 2009 (Wed)   #5
CaptainTonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
All wonderful pics. I like #3 and #4 most - nice processing. This place needs more exploration
Thanks! It's actually a fairly well-known place out here. There are a couple of companies that organize paintball games in the old WWII barracks. There were kids playing paintball in there the day I was in there taking pictures, I was sort of shocked about that. There is or was a prison somewhere on this base, and they used to let you play paintball in there too. If you search around on flickr you'll see lots of sets of photos taken from this place.
Old 3rd of September 2009 (Thu)   #6
strokedbeast

To see the old barracks in #8 brought back some memories, of training there in the '69.
strokedbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of September 2009 (Thu)   #7
carlomontoya

about: http://home.tiora.net/tony/Fort%20Ord/IMG_6662small.jpg

I like the use of negative space on the right, the symmetry of the window pane, and the random but at the same time predictable pattern of the broken glasses. The contrast between the dark room and the bright outdoors is dramatic.
www.flickr.com/carlo_montoya
carlomontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of September 2009 (Thu)   #8
3Honu

Captaintours, it is actually one company (Blackcat Paintball). I have had the distinct pleasure of being one of those players.

Oh yeah, nice shots!

http://3honu.com
3Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of September 2009 (Fri)   #9
CaptainTonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Honu View Post
Captaintours, it is actually one company (Blackcat Paintball). I have had the distinct pleasure of being one of those players.

Oh yeah, nice shots!
That's awesome, I'm jealous. I'm not even good at paintball. Haha.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.
Old 4th of September 2009 (Fri)   #10
3Honu

That's the beauty, you don't have to be good.
In fact, Since you are in San Diego and want a free day of play during Jungle Island's (Lake Elsinore) big game hit me up via PM. I know the guy running it

http://3honu.com
3Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of September 2009 (Fri)   #11
CaptainTonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Honu View Post
That's the beauty, you don't have to be good.
In fact, Since you are in San Diego and want a free day of play during Jungle Island's (Lake Elsinore) big game hit me up via PM. I know the guy running it
Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know.
Old 8th of March 2011 (Tue)   #12
socalrailfan

The damage is a shame! My grandfather worked there for many many years. Hopefully I'll get to stop by there next week when I'm in town. Thanks for sharing.
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of March 2011 (Tue)   #13
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrailfan View Post
The damage is a shame! My grandfather worked there for many many years. Hopefully I'll get to stop by there next week when I'm in town. Thanks for sharing.
Heh! Resurrecting an old thread! But, our saying there in the area used to be that "The sun never shines over Fort Ord"...'course as you see it does tend to be an overcast place, but this was also during the 'Nam "stuff".
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of March 2011 (Tue)   #14
BigSky

I did some training there in the late 80s or early 90s. Home of the "light fighters" - light infantry. Thanks for the memories.
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of March 2011 (Wed)   #15
citylights

I like #4 of the broken windows. Nice set of images.
citylights is offline   Reply With Quote