Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10th of November 2009 (Tue)   #451
moemoe6434

Default Re: Scott Kelby -The Truth About Lenses - Fixed- Length Prime Lenses Vs. Zooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Love BELLS We couldn't get in the Chicago area for a very long time. Bells and their distributer were at odds. Three Floyds is a good brew also. I also like the KING of IPAs Dogfish Head 120 IPA. This is a serious IPA. Extremely hoppy.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits...minute-ipa.htm
Bells Best brown Al has been my favorite beer for about a year now. It is back in season now too!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of November 2009 (Tue)   #452
jetcode
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Scott Kelby -The Truth About Lenses - Fixed- Length Prime Lenses Vs. Zooms

Thanks to this thread I know a lot more about Scott Kelby and I agree with ConDigital he knows a lot about photography, imaging, and image processing. He has a really nice portfolio and lots of books some of which I am working through currently. Way ahead of my game for sure.
Old 10th of November 2009 (Tue)   #453
alex66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConDigital View Post
Yes he knows his stuff.

I couldn't pick a shot that was taken with a zoom or a prime. I wonder just how many that handfull is that Scott mentions.
I find this quite interesting although Scott knows his post processing very well but above all he is extremely good at explaining things, thats why he is a success and his books sell. But it does not matter for this argument whether he is a great, good or dull photographer, the talk is of a technical parameter and not a compositional one. On the balance though he is some what correct and the important thing to get out of all this is what works for the one holding the camera whether that be a kit lens, the nifty fifty or L glass. What works for any of you may not be good for me and vice versa its the same as artists with brushes or carpenters with chisels.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of November 2009 (Tue)   #454
CAL Imagery
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
In my drinking days, which weren't much to speak of, I preferred a good Becks dark.
I used to really like Becks, but now I'm with SPG, as it's slightly cheaper and slightly better, IMO; however, it's a toss up between SPG Special Dark and Guinness Extra Stout as my favorite. In any case, those beers are safe from my friends.

Old 10th of November 2009 (Tue)   #455
mattograph
"God bless the new meds"

Look, I know some of you light to tap a pint or two, but lets get back on topic.

I need some advice on a really good 78 cartridge.
Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #456
WhyFi
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattograph View Post
Look, I know some of you light to tap a pint or two, but lets get back on topic.

Never spun a 78, but mono... mono is where it's at! Wish I could afford a good two arm 'table to keep a mono cart at the ready all the time...
Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #457
alex66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattograph View Post

On the subject of 78 playback you will need to find a dedicated photo stage preferably one with various playback curves as the recording curves were all over the shop. I designed and built one for a collector of 78's years ago as they found it hard to get one that worked properly.
Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #458
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex66 View Post
I find this quite interesting although Scott knows his post processing very well but above all he is extremely good at explaining things, thats why he is a success and his books sell. But it does not matter for this argument whether he is a great, good or dull photographer, the talk is of a technical parameter and not a compositional one. On the balance though he is some what correct and the important thing to get out of all this is what works for the one holding the camera whether that be a kit lens, the nifty fifty or L glass. What works for any of you may not be good for me and vice versa its the same as artists with brushes or carpenters with chisels.

But what about his quote -

Quote:
I think there are but
a handful of photographers who, with the naked eye, can tell whether you took a particular

shot with a zoom lens or a prime lens.
Anyone here one of those handful?
f o t o w o r x
Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #459
Quad

Quote:

Well one thing I do remember is the first time I saw my slides comes back when I had used a Leica I saw there was something vastly different about those slides. I remember the colour seemed to have texture that I had never seen before. It reminded me of the first time I was fitted for glasses all of a sudden I saw textures in the world that I never saw before.

I suppose some zoom lenses could have the same quality (I disagree that they have to be 2.8 lenses as I think the 70-200 f4, for example, is outstanding [being a Nikon shooter he is maybe not exposed to good f4 lenses and maybe not even good primes I don't know what Nikon offers in those regards or what experience he has]) as some primes. But Kelby does not say that primes are not better (in the most general of senses) as he does give that there are some people that can see the difference so then there must be some difference.

There are many people here who wax poetically about the difference between different 50mm lenses so I am going to guess they are not completely self-deluded and they actually do appreciate the difference between the half dozen or so 50's they own.... cough ...gasrocks ...cough.

The difference in lenses are very easily masked by other variables like noise, hand shake, processing, paper surfaces, sensor technology and the list goes on. This makes saying that one can see the difference (all the time) that much more difficult.

Last edited by Quad : 11th of November 2009 (Wed) at 17:16.
Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #460
alex66

Quote:

There will be some that notice subtle differences in sharpness and it will be important for them just as some will notice distortion and hate it. Then there will be those that claim to see these differences but don't than there will be those that say hey this lens has some bad barrel distortion it gives it an interesting flavor and I like it. At the end of the day there are various forms of snobbery in everything and there are people who are perfectionists and certain faults bug them, then there are the pragmatists who just make do. Like I said its all very personal and if using primes or zooms gives you what your looking for thats what matters. I am in the last year of a photography degree and having spent a long time looking at photography I can tell you there are a lot of great photographs taken with very basic gear, its what works for them.
Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #461
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex66 View Post
There will be some that notice subtle differences in sharpness and it will be important for them just as some will notice distortion and hate it. Then there will be those that claim to see these differences but don't than there will be those that say hey this lens has some bad barrel distortion it gives it an interesting flavor and I like it. At the end of the day there are various forms of snobbery in everything and there are people who are perfectionists and certain faults bug them, then there are the pragmatists who just make do. Like I said its all very personal and if using primes or zooms gives you what your looking for thats what matters. I am in the last year of a photography degree and having spent a long time looking at photography I can tell you there are a lot of great photographs taken with very basic gear, its what works for them.
Well said.
Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #462
CAL Imagery
Goldmember

Quote:

I doubt many could tell a different between a picture taken with a zoom or a prime, except for shooting wide open. If it's a "close range" shot with a prime wide open, it'll be much more noticeable than any lens at f/8, for example.

However, along the same lines, I would like to see people take pictures with a FF that can the "average" advanced photographer or greater could unequivocally say "that DOF came from a FF, not a cropper!"

Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #463
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop

Quote:

A few pages back you asked the same question:

Quote:
As Scott says -

"I think there are but a handful of photographers who, with the naked eye, can tell whether you took a particular shot with a zoom lens or a prime lens."
To which I responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnosenzo View Post
According to your gear list, it looks like you have plenty of expensive and not-so-expensive lenses. Can you tell the difference in IQ?
You have f/2.8 zooms, f/4 zooms, and some consumer zooms. Can you tell the difference between them?
Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #464
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphsbuckeye View Post
I doubt many could tell a different between a picture taken with a zoom or a prime, except for shooting wide open. If it's a "close range" shot with a prime wide open, it'll be much more noticeable than any lens at f/8, for example.

However, along the same lines, I would like to see people take pictures with a FF that can the "average" advanced photographer or greater could unequivocally say "that DOF came from a FF, not a cropper!"
Thanks Christian
f o t o w o r x
Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #465
WhyFi
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnosenzo View Post
A few pages back you asked the same question:

To which I responded:

You have f/2.8 zooms, f/4 zooms, and some consumer zooms. Can you tell the difference between them?
He likes to ignore any good points by "the opposition," which is pretty good indication of the openness of the discussion.
Closed Thread