Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 Sep 2009 (Friday) 18:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I CALLED CANON requesting 5D Mark II Update - Guess what?!

Pablov
A Firm Hand on FirmWare
112 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Sep 04, 2009 18:22 |  #1

This is a Community effort we are taking, and below it's just an example of another person calling Canon (as many of us did).

If you care about these features in the 5D Mark II, please do the same. It only takes 5 minutes, it's a very well "invested" time, and MUCH more useful than just complaining online.

The more people calling and politely requesting, the more chances we all have.

Please check for more reference: http://5dmark2.wordpre​ss.com/2009/09/04/i-called-canon/external link

This is the comment by a customer and reader, his own words sharing his experience:

" I just did it too. I very politely told the lady who answered that “You may have heard this before but I heard about your new 7D and I want my 5D Mark 2 to support the same features as the cheaper camera…” and proceeded to POLITELY tell her all of the things we in this community have been looking for.

Her response was basically “Thank you for the input. I have heard this before many times. We really need this kind of input. It’s input like this from our customers that directly led to the release of the manual video settings firmware release.

She further explained how each phone call we receive about it gets forwarded to management, a tech case is opened, etc. My conclusion is that they are listening and what we most need to do is make sure they hear us.

So everyone PLEASE follow suit and VERY POLITELY call, not email. A phone call shows much more sincerity on your part vs. an email that can be discarded in 2 seconds. I talked with customer support for 5 minutes while she jotted down our conversation to be put in the tech case.

It was VERY clear that the phone is ringing off the hook about this issue. What we want is for the tech support people to keep hearing our story. We want them to spend 30 minutes of every 60 minutes hearing how much better our lives would be if our beloved 5D had better video mode support and manual audio gain.

It’s like democracy folks. If you don’t vote, you have no case to complain. Let’s really let them know that dozens/hundreds/thousa​nds of their owners really feel that these features are essential to their 5D.

The number is (800) 828-4040. And please don’t whine that “It won’t help”. Ultimately it could prove futile, but there is absolutely no downside to calling Canon and letting them know how much we are countng on their support. "

= HD Cam Team =

www.hdcamteam.comexternal link

sponsored links
XterraJohn
513 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Sep 04, 2009 18:54 |  #2

Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but, I have a feeling that if Canon adds all of those features to the 5D, they're going to call it the 3D and up the price by at least a few hundred dollars.

Qwagmire
57 posts
Joined May 2007
Sep 04, 2009 19:21 |  #3

XterraJohn wrote in post #8585638external link
Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but, I have a feeling that if Canon adds all of those features to the 5D, they're going to call it the 3D and up the price by at least a few hundred dollars.

Id pay for that

30D, 24-70L, Tamron 28-300 VC

mickee311
322 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Leavenworth, KS
Sep 04, 2009 19:51 |  #4

Qwagmire wrote in post #8585754external link
Id pay for that

Absolutely.

Jenn
Canon stuffs.

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Sep 04, 2009 19:59 |  #5

Don't forget to tell them how much you love the camera, too. :D

They need to know what works alongside what needs to be improved. As for including 24p video, that's just a firmware update. No need for a new model.

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
Sep 04, 2009 20:12 as a reply to wickerprints's post |  #6

:lol:

so they're going to add AF points and make them cross type via firmware?

we SHOULD start a **** thread and get our stories/requests straight too so we all **** about the same things in detail though. I bet if we all do it we will get a killer 5Dii in 3 years!!!!

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Dallas, TX
Sep 04, 2009 20:24 |  #7
banned

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8585955external link
:lol:

so they're going to add AF points and make them cross type via firmware?

we SHOULD start a **** thread and get our stories/requests straight too so we all **** about the same things in detail though. I bet if we all do it we will get a killer 5Dii in 3 years!!!!

Actually in this economy companies are taking customer service VERY seriously. Here is why: It takes a company roughly 10-12 one time customers to make as much profit as they do from ONE repeat customer. Loyalty builds a brand, keeps it in business, and literally is the bread and butter of any successful company.

However they fix it, trust that if enough people complain they'll look into fixing it. How do I know? I've worked in customer service for a multinational corporation for 4+ years. Trust me, when longtime customers ****...we listen :)

http://www.Michael-Bernard.comexternal link"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Sep 04, 2009 20:32 |  #8

I wonder if we can get Canon to add MFA to the 40D?

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

XterraJohn
513 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Sep 04, 2009 20:39 |  #9

mickee311 wrote in post #8585869external link
Absolutely.

I think A LOT of people would pay for such a thing.

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Florida
Sep 04, 2009 21:24 |  #10

I'm in, I'll call.

Thanks,
dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007
New York City
Sep 04, 2009 22:23 as a reply to dan j's post |  #11

I'll make the call as well.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Sep 04, 2009 22:32 as a reply to dan j's post |  #12

If this could all be done in firmware It would have been really nice for the 50d to have gotten video as well. It wasnt long before the 50d was released that the 500d for a lesser price had video included.

I hope canon does add the video firmware update for 5dii, good luck.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Pablov
THREAD ­ STARTER
A Firm Hand on FirmWare
112 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Sep 04, 2009 22:49 as a reply to elitejp's post |  #13

Thanks a lot to those who called. This benefits ALL of us.

Few more experiences from other folks owning 5D Mark II who did call Canon and shared comments:

2 - “ I called. Very easy. Everyone else should do the same. The Canon rep asked for my name, address, email, and the serial number of my 5D. I inquired about 24p and other frame rates for the 5D. He mentioned the calls and customer complaints about the lack of manual control and the eventual firmware upgrade canon released. I would hope his mentioning of this would suggest a similar scenario for 24p. Who knows. 24p is less of an issue for me than it is for directors who contact me. There is a mistaken belief that 24p is all you need to make images that are cinematic. For this reason and a few others (mainly the existence of the 7D), it would be nice to have 24p.”

3 – ” Just called – it was easy. I got a nice guy on the phone who let me know that they’ve had “quite a few” 5D Mark II owners calling up. He also said he was happy to take the call because he owns the camera, too, and would like to see a firmware update.

I asked what the chances were, and he said something to the effect that Canon hadn’t “made any announcements yet.”

That sounded especially promising. Make your call now, if you haven’t already done so.”

-- So, PEOPLE: if you own a 5D Mark II and care about these improvements, take a look at the 5dmark2.wordpress.com blog (which is not intended for any profit purpose but to help EVERY 5D Mark II user to get the best of the camera), read latest postsexternal link to get more detailed feature requests, and CALL Canon. It's easy and fast !

If we all do it, things can change, it's the right time to DO act.
Thanks a lot to everyone.

= HD Cam Team =

www.hdcamteam.comexternal link

mayerk
426 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Bright, Indiana
Sep 04, 2009 22:55 |  #14

No offense to anyone but **** about this is like saying to your car dealer your 2008 model gets 5 less mpg as the 2009 and its not fair,

The 7D is new, it's going to have improved features from previous model cameras. If you thought the 5DII's technology was lacking you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Sep 04, 2009 22:57 |  #15

mayerk wrote in post #8586624external link
No offense to anyone but **** about this is like saying to your car dealer your 2008 model gets 5 less mpg as the 2009 and its not fair,

The 7D is new, it's going to have improved features from previous model cameras. If you thought the 5DII's technology was lacking you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

I have to agree with this sentiment.

Newer models get newer features. It's that way with every product made.

I wish you all luck on this though.

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

25,012 views & 0 likes for this thread
I CALLED CANON requesting 5D Mark II Update - Guess what?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.