Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of September 2009 (Sat)   #1
texshooter

Default AI Focus VS. AI Servo

AI Focus and AI Servo seem like the same thing to me.

AI Focus is suppose to continuously change focus if your subject is moving, but AI Servo only changes focus if "you anticipate the subject moving."

Uhh?

Either the subject is moving or it isn't. So why would I use one focus setting instead of the other?

To make things more confusing, the 5D Mark ii has a custom function "C.Fn III-7 AF Point area expansion" that is suppose to expand the focusing area when you are on the AI Servo focus mode. Isn't that the same thing as selecting all focus nodes with that button on the front top right of the camera with the square puzzle icon? Why use C.Fn II-7. I'm sure I'm missing something.
texshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of September 2009 (Sat)   #2
Jezza8

Default Re: AI Focus VS. AI Servo

AI Servo is effectively the mode you use if you know you want to track a moving subject, simple and straightforward.

AI Focus is supposed to be more intelligent, it works out if the subject is moving or not, if not it will fix the focus on the point it initially locks on and not move (One shot mode) otherwise it will switch to tracking mode like AI Servo. In theory this should give you the best of both worlds, in practice it is a bit of a dogs dinner and you are never quite sure which mode you are in, so my advice is to forget AI Focus and use either One Shot or AI Servo.
Jezza8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of September 2009 (Sat)   #3
artyman
Cream of the Crop

I have my camera set to AI Servo allocated to the * button, one press and you have one shot , just hold for servo
artyman is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of September 2009 (Sat)   #4
texshooter

Fact 1: AI Focus mode locks the focus when the subject is still.
Fact 2: AI Focus mode unlocks the focus when the subject moves

Fact 3: AI Servo mode keeps the focus still when the subject is still.
Fact 4: AI Servo mode moves the focus when the subject moves

If I have my facts straight, the only difference between fact 1 and 2 is that AI servo mode technically does not "lock" the focus when the subject remains still. Instead, it only keeps the focus "still."

I may be splitting hairs, but I don't see any difference between "locking" the focus and "keeping it still." I still don't see any meaningful distinction between AI Focus and AI Servo modes, unless.....

There is a time delay when the focus control goes from the locked position to the unlocked position. If that's the case, then AI Servo mode will have a practical advantage for really quick shooting.
Old 5th of September 2009 (Sat)   #5
buddy4344

i have always wondered the same, though I mostly use Servo if I expect movement. I also wonder about single point focus vs. matrix of points when shooting moving subjects.

Gear: Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 30D, 300D, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400L IS, 24-105L IS, 400DO IS, 500L IS. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+
buddy4344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of September 2009 (Sat)   #6
ed rader
"I am not the final word"

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy4344 View Post
i have always wondered the same, though I mostly use Servo if I expect movement. I also wonder about single point focus vs. matrix of points when shooting moving subjects.

i suppose it depends on style and what you are shooting. i always use a single point and never focus/recompose.

ed rader

5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro
ed rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of September 2009 (Sat)   #7
texshooter

A still small voice in the back of my mind tells me there must have been a reason why Canon added the AI Focus mode. I just can't figure out when it is better to shoot AI Focus over AI Servo.
Old 5th of September 2009 (Sat)   #8
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop

It's been my experience that AI Focus isn't as intelligent as Canon would like you to think. If I need AI Servo, then I use AI Servo, otherwise, I use One Shot.
Thirty-five years of shooting and still learning.
My G&N Blog (NSFW)- My Complete Gear List - Mac-Photo Website - My Tumblr Site (NSFW)
G&N FORUM EARLY ACCESS & IMAGE POSTING RULES
Mark_Cohran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of September 2009 (Sat)   #9
texshooter

I figured it out. You want to use the AI Focus mode when you plan to shoot in situations where you wan't to switch back and forth from On Shot mode to AI Servo mode without having to turn dials on the camera.
Old 5th of September 2009 (Sat)   #10
artyman
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by texshooter View Post
I figured it out. You want to use the AI Focus mode when you plan to shoot in situations where you wan't to switch back and forth from On Shot mode to AI Servo mode without having to turn dials on the camera.
That is effectively what I said I do with allocatiing focus to my * button.
artyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of June 2011 (Thu)   #11
Owhat

Interesting.
Old 23rd of June 2011 (Thu)   #12
kf095
Cream of the Crop

I like AI Focus for pictures like this.

I'll have all AF points enabled and camera will lock to the object almost always.
Once focus is locked, it will red-light selected focus point(s).
It allows me to take quick snapshots, without selecting focusing point, camera does it for me and if objects moves, but not a lot, it is tracking it.

If I have all AF points enabled on AI Servo camera is focusing, but no red-lights on AF points once it is locked.
I use AI Servo for fast moving objects with single AF point. At this case it is showing red-light square for AF once it is locked.

And my focus button is on *, of course.

Last edited by kf095 : 23rd of June 2011 (Thu) at 15:50.
kf095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of June 2011 (Thu)   #13
Snydremark
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by texshooter View Post
A still small voice in the back of my mind tells me there must have been a reason why Canon added the AI Focus mode. I just can't figure out when it is better to shoot AI Focus over AI Servo.
Pretty much never. AI Focus is a "smart" mode that is really poor at what it does. I suggest forgetting the setting is even there and use either One Shot if you know your subject is going to be still, or Servo if you know it may move.
- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (7D, 40D, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 18-270 DiII PZD, 580EX II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."
Snydremark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of June 2011 (Thu)   #14
fotocrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snydremark View Post
Pretty much never. AI Focus is a "smart" mode that is really poor at what it does. I suggest forgetting the setting is even there and use either One Shot if you know your subject is going to be still, or Servo if you know it may move.
Do you have any pictures in the different modes? I have a 7D too and I have been using it pretty much have it on One shot all the time. Would try out the other and see what the difference would be. What would be the best way to test this?
Old 23rd of June 2011 (Thu)   #15
EL_PIC
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Cohran View Post
It's been my experience that AI Focus isn't as intelligent as Canon would like you to think. If I need AI Servo, then I use AI Servo, otherwise, I use One Shot.
AI = Artifical Intelligence.
I think a photographer needs Natural Intelligence more that AI.
Same for Military Intelligence !
EL_PIC is offline   Reply With Quote