Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 06 Sep 2009 (Sunday) 20:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

SX110 IS Battery Life

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,858 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Sep 06, 2009 20:29 |  #1

A friend of mine just bought a SX110IS camera and her battery life is aweful.
Initially she used the AA's that came with it and maybe got 40 pics before they died.
Then she bought some 2000mah NIMH AA's and was able to get about 50 pictures before the batteries died. She took mostly non-flash shots outdoors.

The manual says 400-900 shots on a charge of NIMH batteries, so this seems way off, even though I realize that they tend to exaggerate these numbers.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

sponsored links
Immaculens
Captain* Crunch always did a number on the roof of my mouth....
12,774 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Sep 06, 2009 20:50 |  #2

Greets,

My 110 gets good life from rechargeables although never have counted. If a SX110 gets less than 325 shots from fully charged batteries - there is something regrettably wrong with the camera.

drisley wrote in post #8595762external link
A friend of mine just bought a SX110IS camera and her battery life is aweful.
Initially she used the AA's that came with it and maybe got 40 pics before they died.
Then she bought some 2000mah NIMH AA's and was able to get about 50 pictures before the batteries died. She took mostly non-flash shots outdoors.

The manual says 400-900 shots on a charge of NIMH batteries, so this seems way off, even though I realize that they tend to exaggerate these numbers.

Will immaculens.com (external link) gear
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,858 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Sep 06, 2009 21:57 |  #3

Thanks, good to know then.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Sep 07, 2009 08:26 |  #4

Digipanther wrote in post #8595891external link
Greets,

My 110 gets good life from rechargeables although never have counted. If a SX110 gets less than 325 shots from fully charged batteries - there is something regrettably wrong with the camera.

Or the batteries. Rechargeables have shelf-lives too.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Sep 07, 2009 13:19 |  #5

Use Hybrids - they are more powerful and don't loose a lot of charge when on the shelf.

http://www.amazon.com ...ics&qid=1252347628&​sr=8-1external link

Immaculens
12,774 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Sep 07, 2009 14:05 |  #6

Yes, but in the case of our OP's camera - hybrids or eneloops are not going to account for a sudden jump from 50 or 60 shots to 700+ shots...

gkarris wrote in post #8599534external link
Use Hybrids - they are more powerful and don't loose a lot of charge when on the shelf.

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,858 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Sep 07, 2009 15:58 |  #7

Jon wrote in post #8598242external link
Or the batteries. Rechargeables have shelf-lives too.

You know, she later told me that the NIMH she bought said "Pre-charged and ready to use" on the package. But, AFAIK, NIMH lose their charge pretty quick, except for those low drain ones like the Eneloops. I have 3 backups sets of AA's for my 430EX flash, and I know even after a couple weeks of sitting around they lose most of their charge.

gkarris wrote in post #8599534external link

Hey, cool, are these the same idea as the Eneloops? I wonder how much charge you get vs a high MAH NIMH battery.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
Sep 07, 2009 16:06 |  #8

At first my SX110IS appeared to be a battery hog. What I discovered was that if you don't fully charge the batteries, their life is not so impressive...I was snagging them right out of the charger as soon as the light changed colors...if I let them charge overnight....they are good for all day and 7-800 images.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,858 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Sep 07, 2009 16:11 |  #9

Woolburr wrote in post #8600390external link
At first my SX110IS appeared to be a battery hog. What I discovered was that if you don't fully charge the batteries, their life is not so impressive...I was snagging them right out of the charger as soon as the light changed colors...if I let them charge overnight....they are good for all day and 7-800 images.

Awesome thanks! That's pretty much exactly what I had told her, and hoped was the case. I will pass this along.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Sep 07, 2009 16:41 |  #10

drisley wrote in post #8600348external link
You know, she later told me that the NIMH she bought said "Pre-charged and ready to use" on the package. But, AFAIK, NIMH lose their charge pretty quick, except for those low drain ones like the Eneloops. I have 3 backups sets of AA's for my 430EX flash, and I know even after a couple weeks of sitting around they lose most of their charge.

Hey, cool, are these the same idea as the Eneloops? I wonder how much charge you get vs a high MAH NIMH battery.

If they said "pre-charged and ready to use" they were 90% sure hybrids (which Eneloops are the most well-known example of). Those do self-discharge, but at a much slower rate than regular NiMH. The not-uncommon price penalty may mean they spend longer on the shelf though.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Immaculens
12,774 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Sep 07, 2009 16:54 |  #11

I have Duracell precharged, stated to keep a charge for 365 days but of course there comes the time its 'empty'.
It just seems to me that only getting a mere 50 shots from the batteries it came with is exceedingly low in my experience, but sure it 'could' happen.

But then to get only 60 shots from charged 'rechargeables'?? That is 2 low-probability issues happening concurrently...
When that light changes colour in your recharger - its all set - full charge - unless they are the type that drain to zero in 9 days or so because they were not used...

Nevertheless I do hope its been a battery issue and not the camera.

Jon wrote in post #8600586external link
If they said "pre-charged and ready to use" they were 90% sure hybrids (which Eneloops are the most well-known example of). Those do self-discharge, but at a much slower rate than regular NiMH. The not-uncommon price penalty may mean they spend longer on the shelf though.

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,858 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Sep 07, 2009 18:32 |  #12

I'm going to have a look at the camera and battery tomorrow. She assures me the batteries she used were just plain President's Choice brand NIMH 2000mah batteries but they said ready to use on the package. Very weird.

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,858 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Sep 07, 2009 18:40 |  #13

Ah it appears these might just be rebranded Eneloops!

http://www.hardwarecan​ucks.com ...rged-batteries-cheap.htmlexternal link

I don't know why she's only getting 50 shots per charge though. Well, she got about 40 with the included alkalines, and then 50 with these out of the box. Time for her to call OK-Canon.

JustShootin'
820 posts
Joined Jan 2007
South Florida
Sep 07, 2009 19:10 |  #14

drisley wrote in post #8601250external link
Ah it appears these might just be rebranded Eneloops!

http://www.hardwarecan​ucks.com ...rged-batteries-cheap.htmlexternal link

I don't know why she's only getting 50 shots per charge though. Well, she got about 40 with the included alkalines, and then 50 with these out of the box. Time for her to call OK-Canon.

On my slate, If it's a camera problem and not a battery problem, then it's time to return it to the store for an exchange, not time to call Canon.

Gary
Canon SX40, S100 and a Non Canon dSLR
“Any darn fool can make something complex;
it takes a genius to make something simple.”—Pete Seeger

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,858 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Sep 07, 2009 20:39 |  #15

Well, first she has to determine if it's a camera problem, or a battery problem, so a call to Canon is in order to see what they think.

She bought the camera with Air Miles, so I'm not sure if she can return it. I really think that this is user error. Seriously, about 95% of the electronics my friend buys she ends up returning because there are problems. She does have bad luck, but I think with a rate like that, it's more likely that her lack of technical knowledge is to blame.

sponsored links

3,857 views & 0 likes for this thread
SX110 IS Battery Life
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.