Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 09 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 07:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

MT-24EX diffuser by Nikon

pharp
107 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 09, 2009 07:43 |  #1

I noticed this diffuser from Nikon on the web;

http://blog.nikonians.​org .../SU800_SBR200_16_cm​yk.jpgexternal link
http://www.nikonusa.co​m ...-Positioning-Adapter.htmlexternal link
http://shopper.cnet.co​m/sc/31647486-2-300-DT2.gifexternal link

Looks promising - the diffuser is distant from the flash tube and close to the subject. Has anyone tried Nikon's SW-11 diffusers on the MT-24EX? I'm going to give these a go - can't wait to see how well they work.

Looks like these sell for about $23 each most places [So $46 for a pair].

sponsored links
Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Sep 10, 2009 07:06 |  #2

pharp wrote in post #8610844external link
I noticed this diffuser from Nikon on the web;

http://blog.nikonians.​org .../SU800_SBR200_16_cm​yk.jpgexternal link
http://www.nikonusa.co​m ...-Positioning-Adapter.htmlexternal link

Looks promising - the diffuser is distant from the flash tube and close to the subject. Has anyone tried these Nikon's SW-11 diffusers on the MT-24EX? I'm going to give them a go - we'll see how well they work.

interesting, I wonder if there is a reflector in there to get the light around the corner.

One of the issues with using the mp-e at 4-5X with the twin flash is the heads getting in the way if the subject is on a flat surface.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

pharp
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 10, 2009 08:07 |  #3

I have a set on order - I'll let you know

I have similar issues with the mp-e which I'm hoping this will help with. I'm also hoping that the semi-axial illumination will aide with specular subjects. Right now I'm using Fong's puffers and a 1.4x TC - it's OK, but maybe this is better.

Update: 9/17/09
They arrived - simple enough design. Looking into the flash side of the diffuser, you'll notice right away that the bottom half is blocked off, the top half shines onto an angled reflector aimed at the diffuser face. Will be simple enough to fit up - hopefully will get a chance to test out this weekend.

pharp
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 23, 2009 21:21 |  #4

Actually a decent fit with just simple rubber bands. A small lip on the bottom edge of the diffuser holds these in place when pulled tight up and back. Tested with 100mm macro @ 1:1 with very nice results. Need to move heads back to get the diffuser faces more flush with the ring for use on the mp-e.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,590 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2009
Sep 23, 2009 21:30 |  #5

Looks interesting

Jim
f o t o w o r xexternal link

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Sep 24, 2009 01:44 |  #6

Any with and without test shots?

Gear List

pharp
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 24, 2009 07:04 as a reply to Lester Wareham's post |  #7

Planning on it, but probably going to be a week or so before I have time to set up something that provides a meaningful comparison. I fired off a couple of test shots with one flash on a "Kaiser" type adjustable shoe - could move the diffuser face perpendicular to the front element. These can also be flippedexternal link, but would require some modification to the bottom lip [Simple notch] to fit nicely in front of the focusing light. I'll see what I can come up with. These have potential - so far, so good. I've never been terribly happy with Canon's design of the ring that holds the flash heads - would love an additional pivot and maybe 2-3" of adjustable extension at the ring. My biggest pet peeve though - why would Canon design the mp-e without evidently considering how to light the subject at the miniscule higher magnification WDs? They couldn't provide it with the nice conical front end like the older Olympus 20/38mmexternal link macro lenses? Newer designs aren't always [often,usually] better.

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Sep 25, 2009 06:57 |  #8

pharp wrote in post #8700528external link
Planning on it, but probably going to be a week or so before I have time to set up something that provides a meaningful comparison. I fired off a couple of test shots with one flash on a "Kaiser" type adjustable shoe - could move the diffuser face perpendicular to the front element. These can also be flippedexternal link, but would require some modification to the bottom lip [Simple notch] to fit nicely in front of the focusing light. I'll see what I can come up with. These have potential - so far, so good. I've never been terribly happy with Canon's design of the ring that holds the flash heads - would love an additional pivot and maybe 2-3" of adjustable extension at the ring. My biggest pet peeve though - why would Canon design the mp-e without evidently considering how to light the subject at the miniscule higher magnification WDs? They couldn't provide it with the nice conical front end like the older Olympus 20/38mmexternal link macro lenses? Newer designs aren't always [often,usually] better.

Interesticly the hood for use with the MP-E and the MT-24EX is conical just as the old macrophoto lenses were (from Canon and Nikon as well as Olympus).

I have often thought the ring flash may ctually be better with the MP-E at 4:1 and above; the only problem is the focus illumination lights can't be configured for control from the shutter button the the ring flash - a killer for me.

Gear List

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,008 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Malaysia
Sep 26, 2009 22:33 as a reply to Lester Wareham's post |  #9

Interesting...can't wait to see sample shots with this setup :)

Kurt, 70D/40D, Laowa 15mm, 60mm F2/270EX, MP-E65/MT-24EX for full flash (external link), Sigma 150 +1.4x TC for natural light (external link).
Plan a macro/herping trip with us:
Borneo Herp Tour Nov 2017 (external link)

racketman
Cream of the Crop
20,645 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Richmond Surrey
Nov 04, 2009 15:12 |  #10

Also look forward to seeing some shots with these diffusers - I take it they are sold singly rather than in pairs so quite pricey?

Toby
6D, 80D, 100D & Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

pharp
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nov 14, 2009 23:05 |  #11

Not comparisons, but attached are some quick shots to provide an idea of what these can do. Looks capable of producing nice results, but will take more work to use efficiently - diffuser output is more directional than I anticipated.
These are shot with the mp-e @ 2x 1/200 f/10 with 1.4x TC and SW-11s on the MT-24EX.
Shot 1 - Pencil, Shot 2 - sewing machine bobbin

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

pharp
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nov 14, 2009 23:07 |  #12

A couple more - again, not great, but hopefully useful. Small shell and safety pin.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

pharp
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nov 14, 2009 23:11 as a reply to racketman's post |  #13

Well - the Gary Fong puffers go for about $20 each times 2, the Nikons are about $23 each. Your right though - all this stuff is pricey! :mad:

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,008 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Malaysia
Nov 18, 2009 03:07 as a reply to pharp's post |  #14

Do you have more shots with that sw11 diffusers? :)

Kurt, 70D/40D, Laowa 15mm, 60mm F2/270EX, MP-E65/MT-24EX for full flash (external link), Sigma 150 +1.4x TC for natural light (external link).
Plan a macro/herping trip with us:
Borneo Herp Tour Nov 2017 (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Nov 18, 2009 06:25 |  #15

I'm curious about the Nikon SW-11 diffuser as well. But I'm curious about how well it performs at 1x with the MPE-65mm (at high mag the diffuser will be really close to the subject so the light should look diffused). Also why use a 1.4x teleconverter with the MPE-65mm set at 2x? I don't see any advantage to it...

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

sponsored links

11,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
MT-24EX diffuser by Nikon
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.