Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of September 2009 (Wed)   #1
e02937
Goldmember

Question Someone want to explain to me Canon Raw (raw, mRaw, sRaw, etc)?

I understand the raw setting alone but it's not clear to me exactly what's happening with mRaw and sRaw. As a future 7d owner I have the following questions:

1) What do people usually shoot? Raw, mRaw, or sRaw
2) When you shoot m or s, what is actually happening in the camera. Some folks seem to allude to the idea that if you don't like the 18mp of the 7d then just shoot in mRaw or sRaw. I've also seen the term "pixel binning" around. I don't understand
3) How do you decide when to shoot raw at all or do you always shoot raw.

Obviously shooting raw affords the most flexibility but it comes at the cost of space on your memory card. Any and all help is appreciated.
e02937 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of September 2009 (Wed)   #2
itzcryptic

Default Re: Someone want to explain to me Canon Raw (raw, mRaw, sRaw, etc)?

1. RAW
2. They are reduced resolution RAW files if you don't need the full resolution of the camera.
3. Always
itzcryptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of September 2009 (Wed)   #3
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop

1)sRAW if it's personal around the house stuff, RAW if it's not.
2)the camera waters down the resolution for you. It's sampling the entire sensor to only write less pixels (usually half or 1/4). In doing so, it usually gets a bit cleaner in terms of noise. Pixel binning is when it averages the pixels which DOES give better noise results. Canon has not admitted/bragged about binning yet, but it would appear the 50D does it.
3)shoot raw when you can't afford a mistake ruining an image. You have more room to save shadows/highlight. Shoot JPEGs when you either don't care if you blow a shot, or you don't have the time to process the images at the computer later (think massive numbers of images from sporting events).
jacobsen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of September 2009 (Wed)   #4
e02937
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
2)the camera waters down the resolution for you. It's sampling the entire sensor to only write less pixels (usually half or 1/4). In doing so, it usually gets a bit cleaner in terms of noise. Pixel binning is when it averages the pixels which DOES give better noise results. Canon has not admitted/bragged about binning yet, but it would appear the 50D does it.
Thanks for the answers. So is shooting with a 7d at mRaw equivalent to shooting at the equivalent (even roughly) of the 40d? That would mean to me that people are upset about the high iso performance because they want noise under control in full raw?
e02937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of September 2009 (Wed)   #5
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop

a 10mp sRAW from a 18mp sensor will NOT be as good/clean as a RAW from a 10mp sensor. The sRAW will beat the full res RAW possibly, but it wouldn't beat a full RAW from the same sized sensor with the same era of processors/tech of lesser MP.

So while a 10mp mRAW from a 7D might stack up well against a 10mp RAW from the older 40D, if they had put a 10mp sensor in the 7D it would SMOKE the 10mp mRAW it will produce or the 10mp RAW a 40D produces... Also, a 5Dii has the pixel density of a 8mp aps-c sensor, so at 10mp, if it was native, it would still not be quite as good as the 5Dii in terms of noise.
jacobsen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of September 2009 (Thu)   #6
Nathan
Cream of the Crop

What matters to me is sRaw1 and sRaw2 on the 50D so I can bump up the ISO for faster shutter speeds to shoot indoor sports
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote