Someone want to explain to me Canon Raw (raw, mRaw, sRaw, etc)?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 09 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 10:00   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

e02937
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
2,714 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I understand the raw setting alone but it's not clear to me exactly what's happening with mRaw and sRaw. As a future 7d owner I have the following questions:

1) What do people usually shoot? Raw, mRaw, or sRaw
2) When you shoot m or s, what is actually happening in the camera. Some folks seem to allude to the idea that if you don't like the 18mp of the 7d then just shoot in mRaw or sRaw. I've also seen the term "pixel binning" around. I don't understand
3) How do you decide when to shoot raw at all or do you always shoot raw.

Obviously shooting raw affords the most flexibility but it comes at the cost of space on your memory card. Any and all help is appreciated.

Post #1, Sep 09, 2009 10:00:13

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
itzcryptic
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
1,174 posts
Cincinnati
[MORE/SHARE]

1. RAW
2. They are reduced resolution RAW files if you don't need the full resolution of the camera.
3. Always

Post #2, Sep 09, 2009 10:22:41

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,612 posts
Mt View, RI
[MORE/SHARE]

1)sRAW if it's personal around the house stuff, RAW if it's not.
2)the camera waters down the resolution for you. It's sampling the entire sensor to only write less pixels (usually half or 1/4). In doing so, it usually gets a bit cleaner in terms of noise. Pixel binning is when it averages the pixels which DOES give better noise results. Canon has not admitted/bragged about binning yet, but it would appear the 50D does it.
3)shoot raw when you can't afford a mistake ruining an image. You have more room to save shadows/highlight. Shoot JPEGs when you either don't care if you blow a shot, or you don't have the time to process the images at the computer later (think massive numbers of images from sporting events).

Post #3, Sep 09, 2009 11:02:02 as a reply to itzcryptic's post 39 minutes earlier.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

e02937
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
2,714 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8612036external link
2)the camera waters down the resolution for you. It's sampling the entire sensor to only write less pixels (usually half or 1/4). In doing so, it usually gets a bit cleaner in terms of noise. Pixel binning is when it averages the pixels which DOES give better noise results. Canon has not admitted/bragged about binning yet, but it would appear the 50D does it.

Thanks for the answers. So is shooting with a 7d at mRaw equivalent to shooting at the equivalent (even roughly) of the 40d? That would mean to me that people are upset about the high iso performance because they want noise under control in full raw?

Post #4, Sep 09, 2009 11:24:24

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,612 posts
Mt View, RI
[MORE/SHARE]

a 10mp sRAW from a 18mp sensor will NOT be as good/clean as a RAW from a 10mp sensor. The sRAW will beat the full res RAW possibly, but it wouldn't beat a full RAW from the same sized sensor with the same era of processors/tech of lesser MP.

So while a 10mp mRAW from a 7D might stack up well against a 10mp RAW from the older 40D, if they had put a 10mp sensor in the 7D it would SMOKE the 10mp mRAW it will produce or the 10mp RAW a 40D produces... Also, a 5Dii has the pixel density of a 8mp aps-c sensor, so at 10mp, if it was native, it would still not be quite as good as the 5Dii in terms of noise.

Post #5, Sep 09, 2009 12:12:46 as a reply to e02937's post 48 minutes earlier.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Nathan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
6,142 posts
Boston
[MORE/SHARE]

What matters to me is sRaw1 and sRaw2 on the 50D so I can bump up the ISO for faster shutter speeds to shoot indoor sports

Post #6, Sep 10, 2009 02:33:42

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.comexternal link | Boston POTN Flickrexternal link | Boston POTN Member List (updated 1/28/14)
5D3 | 5D2 | 16-35 II | 50/1.2 | 85/1.8 | 70-200 IS 2.8 | 430 EX | 580 EX II

LIST NEARBY THREADS
11,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
Someone want to explain to me Canon Raw (raw, mRaw, sRaw, etc)?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES