Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of September 2009 (Fri)   #1
niccapo

Default Why do all of my photos look like this!

They are all blurry, out of focus, shots (see examples) that look great on the thumbnail preview but suck when views full size. How can I fix this? Is it user error? I like taking close-ups, is my lens the problem? I'm using a Canon EOS 10D with a TAMRON AF 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 (IF) Macro 62 a14 lens. My Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS point and shoot takes better close up photos.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
niccapo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of September 2009 (Fri)   #2
bohdank
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Why do all of my photos look like this!

What was the shutter speed ? What did you focus on ? How close were you ?

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer
Flickr
bohdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2009 (Fri)   #3
iAMB

The lighting seems like its not bright enough for your shutter speed if you are hand holding it. What speed are you using? Are you on a priority mode or automatic. Flash? We could use a bit more information.
-Adam
iAMB is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of September 2009 (Fri)   #4
kevindar
Goldmember

there are only two reasons for images to look That blurry. Either the camera is mis focusing, or or your shutter speed is to low. I can tell for sure in the 3rd one, its the shutter speed, as you can see the blurriness. I dont know how new you are to photography, but Understand exposure is a book worth reading. welcome to the forum.
Old 11th of September 2009 (Fri)   #5
20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"

It would help out if from now on when you saved your photos to use the "Save as" option so the exif remains intact so we could see the camera settings.

P&S cameras do a fair amount of processing in camera while a Dslr will only do what you tell it to, providing your shooting jpeg of course.

20DNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2009 (Fri)   #6
JackFlash19

Exif data por favor! ^ (what he said)

Ya, I'd bet your camera is just fine. It's likely just user error. It takes some time to get used to an SLR right off the bat. These forums are a wealth of knowledge. Welcome!
JackFlash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2009 (Fri)   #7
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Posting with EXIF data would help tremendously, but all three pictures exhibit quite a severe case of motion blur. I'm guessing that it was hand held and with a slow shutter speed.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2009 (Fri)   #8
tmcman
Goldmember

You could eliminate camera shake by putting it on a tripod to take a shot.
Or if you make the settings so the shutter speed is high, over 1/250th or if you are really shaky, like me, closer to 1/500th,
then minor camera shake won't show.

"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." A. W. Dow
tmcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2009 (Fri)   #9
kcbrown
Cream of the Crop

I can tell you right now just by looking at the first shot that it's camera shake, pure and simple. The blur pattern is asymmetric, which is the giveaway for camera shake. It's harder to tell from the second and third shots (the second one had the camera focusing on the reflection, so the blurriness there may simply be from the screen being less than a perfect reflector), but camera shake is the very first thing you need to get under control.

That means you need to shoot at a higher shutter speed than what you were shooting at. In semi-automatic modes (e.g., Av) you can increase the shutter speed by some combination of opening up the aperture and selecting a higher ISO. In manual mode, of course, you have to set everything yourself.

Try shooting with a higher shutter speed and see if that fixes your problem. Given what I saw, it almost certainly will. You want at least 1/(1.6 * <focal length>) as your shutter speed unless you're using a lens with IS.
kcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2009 (Sat)   #10
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

Welcome to the cauldron niccapo.. An educated guess here,,too slow shutterspeed in low light and tungsten light source..

Try shooting in brighter conditions, possibly outside using a subject with texture..

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!
yogestee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2009 (Sat)   #11
aridan
Goldmember

1. slow shutter speed?
2. you are too close to the object and outside the lens' MFD range?
3. too much contrast? (reflected lamp on black monitor)
Old 12th of September 2009 (Sat)   #12
niccapo

Post Re: Why do all of my photos look like this!

Thank you so much for the quick responses. I have the original files so I will post the metadata below (screenshots from Aperture).

1 http://grab.by/3Vb
2 http://grab.by/3Vc
3 http://grab.by/3Ve
niccapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2009 (Sat)   #13
FactionOne

As above, shutter-speed is your problem.

The fastest one there (first shot) is 1/4. The lens is at it's widest there - 18mm - you'd scrape a passable shot of a static-object at 1/60 (with very steady hands) but I'd be looking for 1/100 or some way above. That's not going to happen on its own though, as you're also at the widest aperture, so there's no way to use a quicker shutter speed but get more light into the lens to compensate (by using a wider aperture). So, you've got a few options:

1) Use a tripod so you can get a sharp shot with slow shutter (if you choose this option, go back to ISO100 to keep image quality as high as possible).

2) Use flash (so that you are able to use a quicker shutter and still capture enough light to expose correctly (because of course there'll be more of it available)).

3) Bump-up ISO some more (giving the sensor higher sensitivity to available light, resulting in you being able to select a quicker shutter at the same aperture). You're at ISO200 now. Realistically you're going to need to be at something much higher than that. I'd try setting ISO800, Aperture Priority (Av) Mode, and dial in the widest aperture you can - f/3.5 at 18mm (the lens' widest view) - if you're seeing 1/60 or faster, give the shot a go. If you're comfortably quicker than 1/100, try knocking it down to ISO400 to minimise noise in the image.

Another thing to consider, if you're looking for a really sharp shot, is that the lens won't deliver its best results at its widest aperture - you'll probably see things sharpen up considerably at about f/8 - but there's no chance of using that and having a shutter-speed quick enough for hand holding with the ambient light in your example shots - this is when you'd really need a) a tripod, b) flash, c) a very fast (ie has a very wide maximum aperture) lens.

Hope that helps somewhat...

Regards,

Rob.

Last edited by FactionOne : 12th of September 2009 (Sat) at 08:05.
FactionOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2009 (Sat)   #14
SCOTTinNJ

Confirmed. Your shutter speeds are off the chart low. Bump the ISO to 1600 and open the aperture as wide as it will go (3.5 with your 18-200?). That's the fastest shutter speed you'll get assuming the 10D only has ISO 1600 usable (I don't know about that).

Likely the shutter speed might still be low.

And don't shoot at f/11 in those conditions!

Understanding Exposure, as referenced above, is an excellent book. You should pick up a copy and read it a few times. I've probably read it 10 times and every time I do I pick up something new.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2009 (Sat)   #15
SCOTTinNJ

Dang, I type too slow.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote