Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 13 Sep 2009 (Sunday) 13:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

DSLR Speed Challenge #115--2nd Curtain Sync

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Sep 13, 2009 13:18 |  #1

Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #115 --

2nd Curtain Sync

What I like about these challenges is that I get to try techniques I may have never used before, or revisit a little used technique. So, this week's DSLR Speed Challenge will be 2nd Curtain Sync. In a nutshell: 2nd Curtain Sync is a setting that fires the camera's flash just before the second curtain closes off the sensor (film).

Please post your your images utilizing 2nd Curtain Sync by 6:00 P.M. Pacific time, September 20, 2009. Subject matter is entirely the photographer's choice, but you must use 2nd Curtain Sync.

Using 2nd Curtain Sync I found to be fun and addictive, so have fun with this challenge; I look forward to your submissions.

NOTE: Don't worry if you do not have an external flash, you can use your camera's on-board flash (1D series and 5D excluded). Just dust off that manual for further details...

Some of my 2nd Curtain Sync samples:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Here are some search results for 2nd Curtain sync:

http://search.flashpea​k.com ...ain+sync&sa=Google+​Search (external link)
http://search.flashpea​k.com ...synchronization&sa=​Search (external link)
http://search.flashpea​k.com ...%20sync%20flash&sa=​Search (external link)
http://photography-on-the.net ...rch.php?searchid=11​917268

2nd Curtain Sync was also recently a G-series camera Challenge:

http://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=slow+curtai​n+sync

This challenge begins when posted, and will end at 6:00 pm Pacific time Sunday September 20, 2009. Winner of this challenge will be announced shortly thereafter.

Standard Rules apply:
Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Canon DSLR Camera
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size - Please see the Image posting rules.
4. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting - * ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.* Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & lens used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time Sunday September 20, 2009.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

Previous winners

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

sponsored links
garphoto
40 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Southern California
Sep 17, 2009 14:12 |  #2

Club Vegas

5D+ EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, ISO 1250, Shutter Priority 40.

IMAGE: http://www.garphoto.com/dance/V-8.JPG

"Talent makes the photographer...Canon makes the photographer memorable." - Gar Travis, asmp, CPS, ISAP
Chief of Photography: Powered sport flying Magazine
Gear List

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,915 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Sep 17, 2009 20:14 |  #3

Wannabee Boxer :-)

40D, f/5.6, 1", iso 400

Reserve the right to change this if my friends bother to show up Friday or Saturday... consider this a bump!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,915 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Sep 20, 2009 13:15 |  #4

crash bang kerbump :-)

lavanut
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Sep 20, 2009 19:10 as a reply to monty28428's post |  #5

Rolling Nickel

I did this one a while back when I first played with 2nd curtain sync. It's pretty basic but it was fun to do!
Note: Picasa does weird stuff sometimes with linking. Image is now embedded. Thanks for the notes/PMs!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Camera: 40D
Lens:100mm macro
Shutter: .6 second
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 200
Flash: off camera 580 EXII

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Charlottesville, VA
Sep 20, 2009 19:27 |  #6

Sorry for the comment during a contest, but I cant see your image Lava..

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Websiteexternal link
| FaceBookexternal link

Jason ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Sep 20, 2009 20:37 |  #7

Time's up!

Thank you everyone for your submissions; time for critique.

garpphoto--"Club Vegas": Ethereal catching up with reality. I like the airyness of your composition, well done. One minor thing bothers me, that of the ghostly arm of the model at the end of the capture obscures the face of where your model ends her travel in the composition. Otherwise, great capture...thanks Gar.

Monty--" Wannabee Boxer :-)": How in the world did you get your model to freeze for 1 second? Humorous and great composition of the subject...I would not want to get hit with that flaming fist. Thank you Monty!

Lavanut--"Rolling Nickel": Classic example of 2nd curtain sync, but a little too classic for me. I think the nickel rolling at and angle towards the camera may have been more ineresting...the possibilities are endless. Otherwise your capture is good and true to 2nd curtain sync...thanks Lavanut.

The winner of Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #115 2nd Curtain sync is

garphoto "Club Vegas" !

Your capture speaks to me the most, and I just like it a lot. Congrats Gar, and now it is your turn to host Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #116.

Once again, thank you Gar, Monty and Lavanut for participating in challenge #115. I look forward to challenge #116!

Regards

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

lavanut
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Sep 20, 2009 20:55 as a reply to Jason C's post |  #8

Congrats, garphoto! Cool shot. I'd like to do more artsy ones like that.

Monty, loved the boxer. What was the red light thing in his hand?

Jason, I knew the nickel shot was kinda plain, but it was one I had. I just wanted to get something in this one. I'd hoped to have more time to experiment this week, but it just didn't happen. It was a good idea for a challenge though!

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,915 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Sep 20, 2009 21:07 |  #9

Congrats Gar! Very nice job!

Jason I wish we had a few more entries this week but it's been slow the last few challenges -- hopefully it will pick up. Hey you called me a Model!! I better start charging myself :-)

Lisa it was a red glow stick that I tried to shape into brass knuckles :-)

Jason ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Sep 20, 2009 21:38 |  #10

monty28428 wrote in post #8678799external link
Congrats Gar! Very nice job!

Jason I wish we had a few more entries this week but it's been slow the last few challenges -- hopefully it will pick up. Hey you called me a Model!! I better start charging myself :-)

I had a feeling that was you. NP on the turnout; it is as it was meant to be. Looking forward to #116.

Lisa, I kinda figured so with your submission. You entered a submission that was within the guidlines of this contest, and I thank you for that.

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Charlottesville, VA
Sep 20, 2009 22:13 |  #11

Congrats Gar!

Monty, was that a red glow stick, or something else?

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Websiteexternal link
| FaceBookexternal link

garphoto
40 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Southern California
Sep 21, 2009 04:40 as a reply to Kendoway's post |  #12

Thank you for your accolades. Like most of my images of moving objects from birds on the wing to girls girating in clubs, I have no determiniation of what will happen during the process of motion until the completed image is observed. My attractive model was not known to me and was dancing (flailing about) to a modern dance beat.
I will host #116 when I return from vacation which will have me "offshore" for a number of days without computer or phone access, but rest assurd cameras in tow. Upon my return next week I will administrate my duty.

"Talent makes the photographer...Canon makes the photographer memorable." - Gar Travis, asmp, CPS, ISAP
Chief of Photography: Powered sport flying Magazine
Gear List

Jason ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Sep 21, 2009 08:33 |  #13

garphoto wrote in post #8680447external link
Thank you for your accolades. Like most of my images of moving objects from birds on the wing to girls girating in clubs, I have no determiniation of what will happen during the process of motion until the completed image is observed. My attractive model was not known to me and was dancing (flailing about) to a modern dance beat.
I will host #116 when I return from vacation which will have me "offshore" for a number of days without computer or phone access, but rest assurd cameras in tow. Upon my return next week I will administrate my duty.

Which means we need a host for #116...

Monty, would you be kind enough to take over Challenge #116?

Thank you.

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,915 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Sep 22, 2009 16:51 |  #14

Ok new challenge comming up in a few..

Yep that was a red glow stick Chris - all summer long the tourists buy them for $3-$5 - day after labor day and you get a pack of two for 50 cents!

sponsored links

4,602 views & 0 likes for this thread
DSLR Speed Challenge #115--2nd Curtain Sync
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.