Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of September 2009 (Mon)   #1
boclcown

Default Some B&W Photos

I never used to like B&W, but after getting some more experience with photography in general, I tried out some B&W, and loved it.

Tell me what you guys think. I'm not used to thinking or visualizing subjects in B&W, so I'm open to all advice.

5D Mark II | 24-70 f2.8L | Sigmalux 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f2.8L | 430EX II
boclcown is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of September 2009 (Wed)   #2
SJC from VT
Goldmember

Default Re: Some B&W Photos

I have been a fan of b&w for many years. #2 is my favorite. Love how it draws your eye down through the building. The first one looks like it would look nearly the same if it was in color! Good job.
SJC from VT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of December 2009 (Fri)   #3
Mindy11171

love them!
Mindy11171 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of January 2010 (Sun)   #4
TeenPhotog

love that first one
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #5
canonloader
Cream of the Crop

I grew up with B&W when it was the only alternative, when color film was hard to get processed and was way too expensive. I was so glad when color became readily available and cheap and I never looked back. Generally I dislike it, as it has about 1/3 of the visual data in it. I think it does have it's place though. Real B&W is different than Photoshop desaturated B&W though, with mich more graduation in the grays.

I don't think B&W displays well on electronic screens. Much better in real print.
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.
canonloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #6
proinwv

I like the technique in 1 and 2. To me 3 is flat and boring. (To be fair, I also consider most of my shots boring too.)

You are capturing much of the allure of b&w in 2; decent highlight and shadow detail, good gradation and range. Technically good work

I think that you need to be constantly aware of the need to put some interesting objects/subjects into your work. Geometry is neat, but eventually you need more.

Keep it up.
proinwv is offline   Reply With Quote