Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 02:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D Flash (stupid question)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Oct 08, 2009 02:29 |  #1

My apologies for asking a stupid question. But hopefully I'll be able to get some straight answers.

I never used the 40D built-in flash. Didn't like it and since I had the 580ii & 420, I never really bothered. But now that the 7D has the built-in wireless feature, I decided to test it out. Now with the flash popped up on the 7D, the camera does a pre-flash/flicker. The flash/flicker doesn't bother me. But it's accompanied by a "buzzing" sound.

So my stupid question, is this "buzzing" sound normal for the 7D? Any other fellow 7D users find this to be the case for your camera? :)

Thanks in advance.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Mesa,AZ
Oct 08, 2009 04:37 |  #2

Does it sound like a modeling flash?

NPuter
572 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Miami, FL
Oct 08, 2009 05:44 |  #3

The 'pre-flash' is probably the AF assist - the buzzing sound can be the flash then re-charging... but only someone with a 7D can say for sure...

NPuter | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link)
5D Mark IV | 7D
16-35 f/2.8L II | 16-35 f/2.8L III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

Feedback

slicendice
464 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Manchester, UK
Oct 08, 2009 06:05 |  #4

NPuter wrote in post #8783283external link
only someone with a 7D can say for sure...

Wish I could help...!! :lol:

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy

Canon EOS 40D, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS, Tamron 28-75 F2.8, Canon 580EX
Cokin ND and ND Grad filters,
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,611 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Oct 08, 2009 06:09 as a reply to slicendice's post |  #5

If by buzzing you mean the faint flip-flip-flip you can hear when the flash is flashing, then that's normal. It sends a number of coded light pulses just before the picture is taken, and there's a faint sound associated with these.

The same goes for the 580 EX II, but you don't notice it that much, since it's much lower on the power limit for that flash, and the flash itself is higher up.

Anders

lowrider
755 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Tucson
Oct 08, 2009 08:57 as a reply to apersson850's post |  #6

I have a 480EX (original) have have started playing around with the wireless function. I never had one before. It's Kinda cool:p I don't have a buzzing sound.

Lou

EagleRock
391 posts
Joined May 2009
Finland
Oct 08, 2009 09:00 |  #7

My 40D is doing the same.

Apollo11
Goldmember
1,553 posts
Joined Mar 2007
WNY
Oct 08, 2009 09:09 |  #8

Sort of sounds like a tiny bug zapper?

Andrew
gear list

valoisr
252 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Laval
Oct 08, 2009 09:27 |  #9

jwcdds wrote in post #8782980external link
My apologies for asking a stupid question. But hopefully I'll be able to get some straight answers.

I never used the 40D built-in flash. Didn't like it and since I had the 580ii & 420, I never really bothered. But now that the 7D has the built-in wireless feature, I decided to test it out. Now with the flash popped up on the 7D, the camera does a pre-flash/flicker. The flash/flicker doesn't bother me. But it's accompanied by a "buzzing" sound.

So my stupid question, is this "buzzing" sound normal for the 7D? Any other fellow 7D users find this to be the case for your camera? :)

Thanks in advance.

On my 50D with a 430EX II mounted, press the DOF button and you get a modelling light, The flash unit shines continuously for what seems like 2 seconds and acts as a modelling light. My XTi does the same thing.

It's Custom Function 2 on the 430EX II. I would assume that flash models later than the 430EX II would have retained this function since it's kinda neat :D.

The flash is not long but long enough for you to see where the shadows will go. Great for portraits if you're not using studio strobes.

Ray

Canon 50D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, Canon 70-300mm f/4-f/5.6 IS USM, Canon 430EX II flash, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon S90 !!!, , Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax f1.4 50mm lens, MF: Pentax 645N, Pentax: AF500FTZ Flash, AF lenses: 45mm wide, 75mm, 80-160mm, Sekonic L-308B-II, PS CS2, LR2, PSE 7.0, PRE 7.0, ProShow Gold

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Oct 08, 2009 09:46 |  #10

jwcdds wrote in post #8782980external link

Thanks in advance.

NPuter wrote in post #8783283external link
The 'pre-flash' is probably the AF assist - the buzzing sound can be the flash then re-charging... but only someone with a 7D can say for sure...

If the "flicker" and buzzing sound is occuring when you half-press the shutter button in a dimly lit environment, then NPuter is correct about the flash being used as a focus assist light. And the buzzing sound is normal. All Canon EOS digital cameras with a built-in flash does this when focusing in low lighting conditions with the flash popped up.

...Leo

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Oct 08, 2009 11:20 |  #11

Whew. Thanks everyone for your input. Yeah, it sounds like bug-zapper when the flash flickers to illuminate the scene. I just wasn't sure as I don't recall the last time I had used the built-in flash on my 40D.

From what y'all said, sounds like it's normal. I still won't use the built-in flash much (other than the times I want to trigger my 580 & 420) but at least now I won't wonder/worry about the bug-zapping noise. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

3,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Flash (stupid question)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.