Best Lens for Full Body Portraits or Fashion?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 15 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 09:29   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Slitherbeth
Joined Oct 2009
28 posts
St Marys, Kansas
[MORE/SHARE]

I have been doing portraits with my 85mm 1.8 on a 50D, but I would like a lens that is better for full body poses. The catch is that my budget it around $500...any suggestions?

Thanks! :D

Post #1, Oct 15, 2009 09:29:20

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
xdmg
Joined Sep 2009
535 posts
Austin, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Try to get a nice copy (no focus issues) of the Sigma 30 f/1.4... around $350-400$ used

or maybe a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

Post #2, Oct 15, 2009 09:31:04

http://rohofoto.comexternal link | facebookexternal link

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,487 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

What format...135/FF or APS-C? What distance to the subject? Set shots? runway?

Post #3, Oct 15, 2009 10:17:08

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,529 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I am assuming you don't have room to back way up with your 85?

Anyway, I agree on the Sigma 30 1.4 or also look at the Canon 28 1.8. (assuming aps-c camera)

If you are in the studio with strobes and don't have to worry about blurring the BG to death, any decent wider zoom will do.

Post #4, Oct 15, 2009 10:25:47

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
2,433 posts
Antwerp, Belgium
[MORE/SHARE]

Sigma is very good for it's money!

Post #5, Oct 15, 2009 13:23:48

-Jelle l Gear l Websiteexternal link l facebookexternal link l Twitterexternal link l Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
toxic
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
3,498 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

There is no "best" lens for any sort of portraiture. It depends on how far away you are and what look you want.

Post #6, Oct 15, 2009 14:36:04

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
10,050 posts
San Jose, California
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm also assuming this is for use with one of the crop sensor cameras... (Rebel, 40/50D, etc.)

Canon 28/1.8, Sigma 30/1.4... However, both can impart some wide angle distortion if not careful. Keep people away from the edges of the frame and don't get in too close with them (makes for oversized noses and undersized ears!).

If you have adequate room to work get a 50/1.4, either the Canon or the Sigma. This focal length will render very natural perspective and little distortion. I saw comparative examples from each of these on some website the other day after a Google search... I have been using the Canon for years and had heard a lot about the Sigma, thought I might want to try it. Frankly, after seeing the sample images, I think I'll just stick with the less expensive Canon. I didn't see enough difference in head to head comparisons to make it worth the extra. The Sigma is better built, but the Canon isn't bad.

Post #7, Oct 15, 2009 16:08:49

Alan Myers
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3) & other cameras, various lenses/access. - FLICKRexternal link - PRINTROOMexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I do most of mine around 50mm, but I've used 24mm and 135mm as well just about every focal length my lenses cover. "Best" is subjective and therefore has no single, definitive answer.

Post #8, Oct 15, 2009 16:11:34

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

Slitherbeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2009
28 posts
St Marys, Kansas
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks so much everyone, I think I'll go with the 28 1/8 :)

Post #9, Oct 16, 2009 08:44:40

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Slitherbeth wrote in post #8833420external link
Thanks so much everyone, I think I'll go with the 28 1/8 :)

WAIT. Don't be in a rush to buy glass if you don't know how it will work out for you.

I suspect you may find yourself getting a bit too close to the subject (for a proper perspective) with that focal length on an APS-C format camera.

Do you have any answers to the various questions above about intended camera-to-subject distances, etc?

Do you have a zoom lens that would cover the 28 through 50 or 60mm range? If so, test your ideas with that before buying another lens. Pay attention to the perspective in the test images. You may very well find that you need to change your distance and thus the focal length. After choosing the proper distance to get the desired perspective, THEN you should be choosing a focal length to get the desired framing.

Post #10, Oct 16, 2009 09:37:03

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

amfoto1 wrote in post #8829173external link
Canon 28/1.8, Sigma 30/1.4... However, both can impart some wide angle distortion if not careful. Keep people away from the edges of the frame and don't get in too close with them (makes for oversized noses and undersized ears!).

If you have adequate room to work get a 50/1.4, either the Canon or the Sigma. This focal length will render very natural perspective and little distortion. I saw comparative examples from each of these on some website the other day after a Google search... I have been using the Canon for years and had heard a lot about the Sigma, thought I might want to try it. Frankly, after seeing the sample images, I think I'll just stick with the less expensive Canon. I didn't see enough difference in head to head comparisons to make it worth the extra. The Sigma is better built, but the Canon isn't bad.

Focal lengths, in themselves, do not create perspective distortion. It's the camera-to-subject distance, and nothing else, that causes that. Please read our "sticky" tutorial titled Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance?.

Post #11, Oct 16, 2009 09:39:02

Skip Douglas

sponsored links
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,487 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

There never was a reply about format, only presumptions about APS-C. So let me answer in that context and hope the OP has that camera format...

85mm is too long on APS-C for head and shoulders, forcing one to be positioned farther back than optimal to permit easy and quick adjustment to poses and lighitng...back and forth and back and forth.

Conversely, 28mm is a bit wide for full length, although it can work without problem. A 'normal' FL is usual for full length work, at 10' shooting distance it sees 7' x 4.7''

I would not worry about induced perspective distortion with 28mm, as I have found that one can work without much fear of that with a lens as wide as 74 degree angle of view (18mm on APS-C)

Post #12, Oct 16, 2009 10:04:22

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Slitherbeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2009
28 posts
St Marys, Kansas
[MORE/SHARE]

well I have a crop body, so wouldn't 28mm be about "normal" . and I'd probably be about 10 feet away

Post #13, Oct 16, 2009 11:53:34

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Slitherbeth wrote in post #8834575external link
well I have a crop body, so wouldn't 28mm be about "normal" . and I'd probably be about 10 feet away

Yes, a 28mm lens is approximately a "normal" lens on that format camera. However, it may not be appropriate for framing the portraits that you intend to make at the distance you choose to use.

The 10-foot camera-to-subject distance would probably be OK. Make sure you have at least six feet between the subject(s) and the backdrop if you're using a typical studio backdrop.

What lens(es) do you currently have that you could experiment with? If you could set a "kit" lens to 28mm, for example, you could confirm whether or not that focal length would work well for your intended setup.

Post #14, Oct 16, 2009 12:01:26

Skip Douglas

Slitherbeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2009
28 posts
St Marys, Kansas
[MORE/SHARE]

I only have he 85 1.8, so its kind of hard to tell with that

Post #15, Oct 16, 2009 12:45:57

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,542 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Lens for Full Body Portraits or Fashion?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES