Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 09:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Lens for Full Body Portraits or Fashion?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,473 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 16, 2009 13:49 |  #16

Slitherbeth wrote in post #8834882 (external link)
I only have he 85 1.8, so its kind of hard to tell with that

Understood.

I just did an experiment for you. With my 20D and my 24-70 lens at ten feet from a wall, roughly 35mm allowed me to cover roughly six feet top to bottom in "portrait" position (the long dimension of the frame vertical). With my wife standing in to help, 28mm at ten feet gave me extra room above and below her. I did not like the perspective at ten feet, though.

Backing up to about fifteen feet and using 35mm was a lot better. Further away (and with a proportionally longer lens for framing) would probably be even better yet.

I would suggest that you look at a zoom lens with a range something like the 24-70 or even the EF-S 15-85 to give you the versatility that you would need for a variety of portrait work. Your 85mm lens is a bit long (on an APS-C format camera) for studio portrait work. I would say that you do not need a lens any faster than f/2.8 for portrait work. The zoom lens would enable you to do a lot of work that you cannot do with the 85.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

kini
386 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 16, 2009 16:35 |  #17

Might want to check into the Canon 35/2. I've seen a couple of used ones in the $250-$275 range lately.

Gene

cccc
Goldmember
2,013 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 16, 2009 19:49 |  #18

any standard zoom stopped down to f8. i promise.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

11,250 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Lens for Full Body Portraits or Fashion?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.