Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of October 2009 (Thu)   #1
aostling

Default S90 adapter for filters and close-up lenses

It would be easier if the S90 incorporated a mount for an accessory tube, like the LX3 does. But if you have access to a lathe you can machine a simple adapter, as shown below, which slips over the S90 innermost lens barrel. I used the adapter tube from my LX3, which has 46mm filter threads.

The insert in the LX3 tube is Delrin (acetyl), a very easily-machined plastic. It does not scratch the lens barrel when it is slid on or off. Here is a polarizing filter attached, probably the only filter you will want to mount. The tube does not cause any vignetting, even at 28mm.

Because Delrin has such a high C.T.E. temperature changes cause the Delrin insert to expand or contract at ten times the rate of the aluminum adapter tube. A hand-sawn slit takes up this slack and makes the device usable over a range of temperatures. I've tested it at 40F (in my refrigerator) and 80F (the current temperature here in Phoenix), and at both extremes the fit is not too tight or too loose.

It's also possible to mount high-quality close-up lenses, such as those from Raynox. Here is a full-frame 28mm f2 shot without a close-up lens. As you know, the close-up range is restricted to the wide end, near 28mm, and the working distance is between one and two inches.

Here is a full-frame 105mm f4.9 shot with a 5.0 diopter doublet close-up lens. The working distance increases to four inches or more, depending on the magnification desired.

Last edited by aostling : 23rd of October 2009 (Fri) at 16:16.
aostling is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of October 2009 (Fri)   #2
-AP-

Default Re: S90 adapter for filters and close-up lenses

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent post. I now may get this camera. The only thing holding me back was that I have 2 s80 cameras and was not willing to give up the lens adaptor.

Thanks..
Old 24th of October 2009 (Sat)   #3
WatchFan1

doesn't it kinda' beat the whole nice pocket-ability of this camera ?

WatchFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of October 2009 (Sat)   #4
strictfunctor

Or just buy a G11 instead.
strictfunctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of October 2009 (Sat)   #5
-AP-

Not even a little for me... The adaptor would accommodate an IPIX fisheye lens for QTVR..
Old 24th of October 2009 (Sat)   #6
aostling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchFan1 View Post
doesn't it kinda' beat the whole nice pocket-ability of this camera ?
It does when attached. But I intend to keep the tube stowed in a bag, to be brought out only on occasion.
Old 25th of October 2009 (Sun)   #7
aostling

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AP- View Post
Excellent, Excellent, Excellent post. I now may get this camera.
Thanks, it's nice to hear from a fellow enthusiast who sees possibilities rather than limitations.

You can take high-magnification macro shots with the S90 without going to the trouble of machining an adapter tube. Here is a set-up which uses the close-up lenses which were made for the Kodak Retina cameras. These close-up lenses came in two series: the "N" series, which are simple one-element lenses, and the really fine "R" series, which are achromatic doublet lenses. As far as I know these are the smallest doublet close-up lenses ever made for 35mm cameras.

There are three lenses in this kit, designated as "1:4.5", "1:3", and "1:2", which are the magnifications produced when used on the Retina. These have powers of 4.44, 6.66, and 10.00 diopters.

The outer diameter of the the "R" lenses is 1.255", which is precisely the O.D. of the outer lens barrel on the S90 (measured with my digital caliper to the nearest thousandth). It's almost as if they were intended to be used on this camera, sixty years after the lenses were manufactured. You can attach the lens with a rubber band. The rubber bands used to hold stalks of broccoli together are the perfect fit. This food-grade rubber is of the highest quality, and resists UV degradation better than anything you can buy. You can buy some broccoli, or ask the grocer for a rubber band like I did.

You can stack two of the "R" lenses, to get increased magnification. I would not usually do this, but did it here merely to show one of the two stacked lenses protruding beyond the rubber band.

Here is a shot taken with the 10.0 diopter lens at f=105mm, which allows a comfortable working distance. With these "R" achromats the image quality holds up very well right out to the edge.

Last edited by aostling : 25th of October 2009 (Sun) at 18:51.
Old 29th of October 2009 (Thu)   #8
Dick Emery

Do you think it there is a cpl that would fit?
Canon 450D/XSi (Retired), Canon 70D, Canon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 STM, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS, Canon 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 EF-S IS, Canon 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 EF II, Sigma 30mm F1.4, 430EX Mk I, Canon Powershot S2 IS, Canon Powershot S90 IS, Sigma 1.6x closeup lens.
My Flickr
www.maunders.com
Dick Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2009 (Thu)   #9
aostling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Emery View Post
Sorry, cannot make any sense out of your question.
Old 29th of October 2009 (Thu)   #10
sneakerpimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aostling View Post
Sorry, cannot make any sense out of your question.
cpl = circular polariser
Old 29th of October 2009 (Thu)   #11
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Yes, but a CPL to fit the adapter the OP talked about, or a CPL that would function like the Kodak Retina slip-on close-up lenses?

By the way, for the PowerShot line you don't need a circular polarizer. Those are a requirement for EOS cameras and other DSLRs due to the partially-reflective mirror ("beam splitter") used in AF, which is basically another polarizing filter; polarized light is passed thorough and reflected to the AF sensors while unpolarized light is reflected up to the focusing screen. If you've already polarized the light coming into the camera and the beam splitter is polarizing at right angles to the incoming light's direction, the AF sensor won't get any light to work with. A Circular Polarizer essentially "depolarizes" the good light after the "bad" (glare) light has been filtered out so the beam splitter gets usable light no matter what. Since PowerShot cameras don't have a beam splitter, but rely on detecting contrast changes on the main CCD sensor, you don't have that problem.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2009 (Thu)   #12
Markpotn

That is so cool, I may just buy those lenses in anticipation of one day buying an S90. Thanks to you and the OP for excellent posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aostling View Post
...Here is a set-up which uses the close-up lenses which were made for the Kodak Retina cameras.
Markpotn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2009 (Thu)   #13
aostling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
By the way, for the PowerShot line you don't need a circular polarizer.
Jon,

This is valuable information. The OP photo shows a circular polarizer mounted via a 46-49mm step-up ring. I thought about getting a dedicated 46mm polarizer, but I found that a Hoya HMC Circular Polarizer in this size costs about $85. But linear polarizers are available for much less. I'm happy to know that these will work on the S90.
Old 29th of October 2009 (Thu)   #14
aostling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markpotn View Post
That is so cool, I may just buy those lenses in anticipation of one day buying an S90.
When you get a set of those "R" close-up lenses you need not be shy about stacking them to increase magnification. I happen to have two of the 1:2 size (10 diopters), and combined them to make an equivalent 20-diopter close-up lens.

Here is a photo taken with the camera lens only:

And here is a photo taken with the two "R" lenses, held in place with the broccoli rubber band, at f=105mm, f8:

Last edited by aostling : 29th of October 2009 (Thu) at 18:28.
Old 29th of October 2009 (Thu)   #15
aostling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Emery View Post
Okay, now I understand you want to fit a polarizing filter. Thanks to Jon we know it need not be a circular polarizer.

I've been thinking what polarizing filter might be fitted with the broccoli blue rubber band. That is so much simpler than having to use a custom-turned adapter, I may leave the adapter behind if I can find a polarizer which is the same diameter as the 32mm Retina filters and close-up lenses.

A "pola" filter was made for the Retina, but I've not found any source for this. According to the Retina Manual by E.S. Bomback it also included a hood.

A possibility might be to use the Series V filter adapter rings. The pair of rings traps the filter (which has no threads). The OD of the Series V adapter ring is 33.5mm, which should not be too much of a mismatch for the rubber band set-up. I don't know if a polarizer comes in a flat sheet which could be trimmed to fit into the adapter.

Last edited by aostling : 29th of October 2009 (Thu) at 18:29.