Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 24 Oct 2009 (Saturday) 20:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D video question.

yuribox
257 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Oct 24, 2009 20:41 |  #1

My wife is wanting a digital camcorder. I have seen enough people who are having a camcorder and use it maybe three times and collecting dust in their closet. So I am thinking to buy a 7D instead of camcorder. I have G10 and it is doing pretty good for video cliping. Or good enough for what we need.
She takes more pictures with G10 than video clip now. So maybe I will upgrade her camera.

Question is that how is 7D video? I am mainly asking AF situation.
I used to have 50D and from what I remember AF was VERY slow while live view session. Is it pretty much same?
Thanks in advance. ^^

1Ds IR, 5DIII, 1DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200, TS-E24, 40, 50, 85, 100, MP-E65

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Oct 24, 2009 20:45 |  #2

It's slow still.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
Oct 24, 2009 21:04 |  #3

yuribox wrote in post #8888130external link
I used to have 50D and from what I remember AF was VERY slow while live view session. Is it pretty much same?

Yes, just as bad as on the 50D and imagine how good (not) it looks to watch the recorded video moving in and out of focus while the camera slowly looks for a focus lock. Even worse, not only is the visual bad but the built in mic picks up the noise from the AF and IS motors in the lens so the audio sucks as well.

A camcorder and a P&S still camera are a lot alike in that anybody can just pick one up and get something that is at least adequate. A DSLR is much, much better than a P&S for stills but it requires more from the shooter. More skill, steeper learning curve, more post-processing, and sometimes more equipment. A DSLR that does video is also much better than a camcorder for video, but it requires even more skill, has an even steeper learning curve, requires at least as much post-processing as stills from a DSLR and requires more equipment, and external mic at the very least.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

syntrix
Goldmember
2,031 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Little Rock, AR
Oct 24, 2009 21:28 |  #4

jwcdds wrote in post #8888145external link
It's slow still.

If it's like the 5Dii, which reports indicate this.... video is more for prosumers or professionals, especially ones that like to MF.

If the OP is asking for point and shoot video (omg DSLR isn't really a P&S but features make it like that for consumers, what a mind blowing concept), then he is better off going with a dedicated video camera.

I believe it's as simple as that.

moew!!!!!

yuribox
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Oct 24, 2009 21:29 |  #5

Thanks Ken.
I was hoping that it has gotten a lot better but I guess not. T.T

yuribox
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Oct 24, 2009 21:31 |  #6

syntrix wrote in post #8888364external link
If it's like the 5Dii, which reports indicate this.... video is more for prosumers or professionals, especially ones that like to MF.

If the OP is asking for point and shoot video (omg DSLR isn't really a P&S but features make it like that for consumers, what a mind blowing concept), then he is better off going with a dedicated video camera.

I believe it's as simple as that.

Okay... 3 for 3...
Thanks.

syntrix
Goldmember
2,031 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Little Rock, AR
Oct 24, 2009 21:44 |  #7

yuribox wrote in post #8888382external link
Okay... 3 for 3...
Thanks.

3 for 3? in this thread?

Yeah, if your wife uses a P&S now and is used to a camcorder, might want to check out the latest canon line. I have a video background, but don't do that anymore and even the vixia line looked VERY promising.

But you can blur the line with 3CCD cams, too :) It's just a whole 'nother world, and it really does depend on your skillset!

moew!!!!!

overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Oct 24, 2009 21:56 |  #8

The video on DSLRs is still in the infancy stages at best. Nothing like those post-pubescent real video cameras. And you just try focusing on a 3" LCD in bright sunlight. Impossible.

But for static things like an interview the quality can't be beat.

syntrix
Goldmember
2,031 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Little Rock, AR
Oct 24, 2009 22:00 |  #9

overclock wrote in post #8888512external link
The video on DSLRs is still in the infancy stages at best. Nothing like those post-pubescent real video cameras. And you just try focusing on a 3" LCD in bright sunlight. Impossible.

But for static things like an interview the quality can't be beat.

I'll agree with "infancy stages for regular consumers", but for pro's and prosumers, they can be VERY valuable tools. If you expect excellent AF tracking from a DSLR (any brand) then it's not going be your best bet.

But if you are setting up scenes, and have the right rigs; the 7D can do MUCH more than your average camcorder!

moew!!!!!

origamione
185 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Seattle, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur
Oct 24, 2009 22:18 |  #10

syntrix wrote in post #8888537external link
I'll agree with "infancy stages for regular consumers", but for pro's and prosumers, they can be VERY valuable tools. If you expect excellent AF tracking from a DSLR (any brand) then it's not going be your best bet.

But if you are setting up scenes, and have the right rigs; the 7D can do MUCH more than your average camcorder!

Totally agree.
To OP, go to vimeo and do a search for 7D or 5D MK2 videos, you'll see tons of awesome videos, something is normal camcorder won't be able to do.

G10 | 50D + GRIPPED | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | Canon 50 f/1.8 II | Canon 18-55 IS II | Benro Tripod + Benro Ball head

yuribox
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Oct 24, 2009 22:32 |  #11

I was hoping video of 7d is good enough so I can buy the camera for my wife. My ultimate goal was get her into photography so she does not complain when I buy a lens. :lol:
Sad day... and sad truth... :(

syntrix
Goldmember
2,031 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Little Rock, AR
Oct 24, 2009 22:39 |  #12

yuribox wrote in post #8888710external link
I was hoping video of 7d is good enough so I can buy the camera for my wife. My ultimate goal was get her into photography so she does not complain when I buy a lens. :lol:
Sad day... and sad truth... :(

Well it's great that you asked here, rather than being disappointed later.

Bottom line, get what you need today! Check out the canon vixia line, they are very good! And you'll save a LOT of money if you need video AF/tracking; but a small warning; video AF/tracking has it's "issues", and not just canon. They can not track 100% all the time, just keep that in mind!

Once you shoot a lot of video and see some hunting for AF on dedicated camcorders, you will understand the DSLR limitations (today). So get a vixia (sp?), and even in low light, you might get some af hunting, but not even close to a 5D2/7D.

If you are trying to track kids, go for a camcorder 100%, but even those have limitations :)

moew!!!!!

yuribox
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Oct 24, 2009 22:44 |  #13

Thanks Syntrix. I think I should buy a camcorder.
Yeah, I would hate to buy something and turn around return item because I did not do my homework.
BTW, your lens line is very similar to mine. 17-40, 24-70, 70-200 2.8 IS, Zeiss 85mm, 180mm macro. ^^

lethalwp
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Oct 25, 2009 01:20 |  #14

my 2c:
7D can make wonderful videos, but you'll be pretty limited to:
- put the camera in M mode
- put the M settings (if shooting 24fps, you'll need 1/50; if 30fps: 1/60, this is a cinema "rule of thumb" of 180° shutter, recommended, but can be bypassed), dial the aperture accordingly & iso
- & put the lens in manual focus

why? Because everytime you ask for autofocus, the camera will open the aperture, focus & put it back: annoying bright changes when filming, same kind for other auto features: all changes to a scene, that changes settings will flash a change in the video

it has "only" a mono mic, for stereo need an addon
it can be kind of heavy, also depending of the lens
forget filming handheld with no IS on the lens, even with, you have to be steaaady
limitation to 4GB makes it about 10 minutes in fullhd per sequence

but i still love it ! :) just makes wonderful videos once you know how to use it. It's just not 'point and shoot video' ready

Bruce ­ Foreman
279 posts
Joined Jul 2004
San Angelo, Texas
Oct 25, 2009 02:12 |  #15

lethalwp wrote in post #8889353external link
my 2c:
7D can make wonderful videos, but you'll be pretty limited to:
- put the camera in M mode
- put the M settings (if shooting 24fps, you'll need 1/50; if 30fps: 1/60, this is a cinema "rule of thumb" of 180° shutter, recommended, but can be bypassed), dial the aperture accordingly & iso
- & put the lens in manual focus

The 7D has a very usable full auto mode. Defaults to this if camera is in any mode except M and makes the video mode much easier for persons without experience.

As for shutter speed, this camera does not have a mechanical rotating 180 degree shutter so the shutter speed is not necessarily tied that close to frame rate. Somewhere around 1/50 or 1/60 may give an amount of motion blur that is close to what the 180 degree shutter used to give but the main thing to avoid is not too slow and not too fast depending on motion in the scene.

I use ND filters to bring the shutter down from the 1/1000 to 1/4000 range it will try to hit in open bright daylight with really fast wide apertures, but if I can't get it down lower than 1/250 I don't obsess about it, those higher ranges can cause motion to "strobe". I try to start out with the shutter at 1/50, aperture where I want, and ISO in AUTO so I can see where that wants to go, and in a lot of cases I can adjust exposure with hitting the ISO button and turning the wheel until I see what i want (using a good viewfinder loupe).

The advice on the Vixia line of camcorders is pretty good and you might also look into the T1i. It's a lot lighter, takes super stills and the video mode is full auto but not bad.

sponsored links

2,396 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D video question.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.