Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 29 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 04:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The automotive strobist setup pic thread

zunkus
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2016
Oct 08, 2016 02:55 as a reply to post 18060525 |  #3451

Simple but very effective

Take a look at my photography on flickr (external link)

sponsored links
zunkus
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2016
Oct 08, 2016 06:13 |  #3452

chopperdave wrote in post #16937254 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

I'm seeing your strobes pointing down at the floor instead of at the car. Nice way to reduce hotspots I see. Seems to get enough light on the car too. Do you think i could get enough lights using a couple of SB910 speedlights?

Take a look at my photography on flickr (external link)

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,233 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
St. Louis, MO
Oct 13, 2016 18:15 as a reply to zunkus's post |  #3453

that all depends on the lighting conditions, the color/reflectivity of the car, etc.

-Jayson- my flickrexternal link
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

Sonic ­ Infidel
Joined Feb 2007
Springfield, IL
Sep 09, 2017 00:51 |  #3454

I just found this thread and am really grateful for the knowledge it contains. Here's a shot of my Cruze from a couple of weeks ago, before I read this thread. (Otherwise, I would have aimed the lights at the ground...) I definitely could have done better at accentuating the body curves. Although this is a relatively cheap car, it actually has an attractive form.

I do have a BTS shot, but I'm on vacation for a bit and don't have access to it. One light was camera left, diagonally behind the rear wheel, another was camera right pointed at the grill, and the third was beneath the car to give it some separation from the ground. Basically, I was trying to adapt the classic three-point lighting setup to cars. Not sure if that's the right approach, but it seemed logical at the time.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

--------------
Don't work for free. This is as much a reminder to myself as a warning to others.

PhotosGuy
74,877 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Sep 09, 2017 08:20 |  #3455

Th

Sonic Infidel wrote in post #18447808 (external link)
I just found this thread and am really grateful for the knowledge it contains. Here's a shot of my Cruze from a couple of weeks ago, before I read this thread. (Otherwise, I would have aimed the lights at the ground...) I definitely could have done better at accentuating the body curves. Although this is a relatively cheap car, it actually has an attractive form.

I do have a BTS shot, but I'm on vacation for a bit and don't have access to it. One light was camera left, diagonally behind the rear wheel, another was camera right pointed at the grill, and the third was beneath the car to give it some separation from the ground. Basically, I was trying to adapt the classic three-point lighting setup to cars. Not sure if that's the right approach, but it seemed logical at the time.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Sonic Infidel in
./showthread.php?p=184​47808&i=i143504769
forum: Transportation

I liked the Cruze a lot & this was one of mine using just the natural light that you have in the sky there: 2011 Chevy Cruze Sedan LS

See the difference?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Sonic ­ Infidel
Joined Feb 2007
Springfield, IL
Sep 09, 2017 10:04 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #3456

Yeah, there's no horizon line in mine, and I kind of blasted away the details of the body panels. I should have let the ambient light speak for itself a bit more and used the flash only to accentuate.

--------------
Don't work for free. This is as much a reminder to myself as a warning to others.

itshotinhereimonfire
Joined Dec 2016
Sep 09, 2017 20:10 as a reply to Sonic Infidel's post |  #3457

I don't see a setup pic, so here's a more fitting thread for your post:

http://photography-on-the.net ...read.php?t=1281518&​page=1

Sonic ­ Infidel
Joined Feb 2007
Springfield, IL
Sep 10, 2017 23:40 as a reply to itshotinhereimonfire's post |  #3458

Ha! I love that that's a thing. I promise to update my post with the BTS shot when I'm back from vacation.

--------------

itshotinhereimonfire
Joined Dec 2016
Sep 11, 2017 09:30 as a reply to Sonic Infidel's post |  #3459

I think the guy created it due to so many other posts exactly like yours. lol

sponsored links

1,178,786 views & 52 likes for this thread
The automotive strobist setup pic thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.