Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 Jun 2005 (Saturday) 17:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Conecting Camera to Laptop while shooting?

dennykyser
958 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Pennsylvania
Jun 04, 2005 17:38 |  #1

I have never had the desire to do this before but I am playing with lighting more and more and wondering if this is possible. I am wondering if I can hook the lap top to the camera and see a preview of the picture on the lap top as I take them. If its in the manual dont flame me, I have been working so many hours I have not had a chance to read ever page of the manual.

Shooting with Canon 20D, 10D Windows XP on Dell laptop

Gear
Websiteexternal link
SportsShootersexternal link
MaxPrepsexternal link

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Portage, Wisconsin USA
Jun 04, 2005 17:48 |  #2

There is a video out. You can review pix on a monitor. Quick, easy way to show you or client what you are getting.

GEAR LIST

thanhda
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Jun 04, 2005 17:49 |  #3

EOSViewer, the software which comes with the camera, does allow you to connect the camera to your PC using the white USB cabble and you can use the software to control the camera & shoot. However, you won't see a preview image on PC before shooting.

The benefit? Images go straight to your PC instead of your flashcard and you can view your pics right away in a bigger screen than your small in-camera LCD. I found it very useful in my autofocus practice shoot ;)

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
958 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Pennsylvania
Jun 04, 2005 17:52 as a reply to thanhda's post |  #4

Thanks guys for the quick replys. I will have to check this out will be a great tool in controlling the light.

Gear
Websiteexternal link
SportsShootersexternal link
MaxPrepsexternal link

triangle
127 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Texas, U.S.A.
Jun 04, 2005 19:53 as a reply to thanhda's post |  #5

thanhda wrote:
EOSViewer, the software which comes with the camera, does allow you to connect the camera to your PC using the white USB cabble and you can use the software to control the camera & shoot. However, you won't see a preview image on PC before shooting.

The benefit? Images go straight to your PC instead of your flashcard and you can view your pics right away in a bigger screen than your small in-camera LCD. I found it very useful in my autofocus practice shoot ;)

You can also have it write to the card as well as the hard drive. I tried this on a shoot but it took L-O-N-G, so I disconnected it and went back to shooting without the laptop. Now the laptop does not have a hi-speed USB and that may be the reason it was slow. I like the concept, but just found it to be slow maybe with faster equipment it would be worthwhile. I remember it was called "Remote Capture". If you have the time it is great, but I was shooting a team with a line waiting. I felt rushed and gave up, but I will try it again if I get ahold of a hi-speed capable laptop.

Canon is Superb

dmaster
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Feb 2004
Jun 04, 2005 21:53 as a reply to triangle's post |  #6

Hi, I don't post much but would like to add to this thread that if you don't have a hi-speed USB port presently on your laptop it is very inexpensive to purchase a PCMCIA Card with two or four USB 2.0 slots on it. peace.

"There are no rules for those whom are love."
http://theprayerofthed​ay.comexternal link
-= }D} }|\/|{aster =-

triangle
127 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Texas, U.S.A.
Jun 04, 2005 22:54 as a reply to dmaster's post |  #7

dmaster wrote:
Hi, I don't post much but would like to add to this thread that if you don't have a hi-speed USB port presently on your laptop it is very inexpensive to purchase a PCMCIA Card with two or four USB 2.0 slots on it. peace.

Thanks for the heads up dmaster.:cool:

Canon is Superb

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005
Piteå, Sweden
Jun 05, 2005 10:25 |  #8

Capture One Pro lets you shoot directly into the computer. Works with the Canon 20D. Also, Canon have their own software for this as well.

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

Andrew ­ Pratt
449 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Jun 05, 2005 21:01 |  #9

I doubt adding a high speed USB card would help much if you only had the 300D's since its USB connection is only 1.1 so that's the bottleneck..the 20D is USB 2.0 though so it would benefit nicely.

Canon Rebel XT, Kit lens & SD800IS

freshcargo
361 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Sep 24, 2010 07:46 |  #10

bump, can someone please update on the best way to connect while shooting. is it possible with 7D supplied software? I have managed to do it but I think there is a better way. thanks in advance.

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

mkville
Joined Aug 2009
Burlington Ontario
Sep 24, 2010 09:19 |  #11

On the Digital Photo Professional CD supplied there is a utility that can do this, not sure which one off hand, but I have played with this in the past and it works great.

Whats the way you have done it???

Mark
flickrexternal link

lannes
Goldmember
4,374 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Perth, Australia
Sep 24, 2010 09:30 |  #12

Free: EOS Utility
More expensive: Lightroom 3.2 (not as functional as EOS Utility)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

kf095
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Sep 24, 2010 10:05 |  #13

I have done this with 500D and free Canon software EOS utility provided with camera.
It is same as Live View on the camera and works really great for macro photography of still objects. You’ll have full control of your camera from this utility including camera 10x zoom. If 20D actually supports it.

Siteexternal link. Flickrexternal link. DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

freshcargo
361 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Sep 24, 2010 12:30 |  #14

mkville wrote in post #10969652external link
On the Digital Photo Professional CD supplied there is a utility that can do this, not sure which one off hand, but I have played with this in the past and it works great.

Whats the way you have done it???

I used DPP. I could not find "EOSViewer" that was mentioned, I thought I might be missing something.

thanks for the replies.

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

sponsored links

10,804 views & 0 likes for this thread
Conecting Camera to Laptop while shooting?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.