Conecting Camera to Laptop while shooting?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 Jun 2005 (Saturday) 17:38   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dennykyser
Joined Jan 2004
935 posts
Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

I have never had the desire to do this before but I am playing with lighting more and more and wondering if this is possible. I am wondering if I can hook the lap top to the camera and see a preview of the picture on the lap top as I take them. If its in the manual dont flame me, I have been working so many hours I have not had a chance to read ever page of the manual.

Shooting with Canon 20D, 10D Windows XP on Dell laptop

Post #1, Jun 04, 2005 17:38:18

Gear
Websiteexternal link
SportsShootersexternal link
MaxPrepsexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
13,431 posts
Portage, Wisconsin USA
[MORE/SHARE]

There is a video out. You can review pix on a monitor. Quick, easy way to show you or client what you are getting.

Post #2, Jun 04, 2005 17:48:12

GEAR LIST

thanhda
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jun 2005
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

EOSViewer, the software which comes with the camera, does allow you to connect the camera to your PC using the white USB cabble and you can use the software to control the camera & shoot. However, you won't see a preview image on PC before shooting.

The benefit? Images go straight to your PC instead of your flashcard and you can view your pics right away in a bigger screen than your small in-camera LCD. I found it very useful in my autofocus practice shoot ;)

Post #3, Jun 04, 2005 17:49:01

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2004
935 posts
Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks guys for the quick replys. I will have to check this out will be a great tool in controlling the light.

Post #4, Jun 04, 2005 17:52:17 as a reply to thanhda's post 3 minutes earlier.

Gear
Websiteexternal link
SportsShootersexternal link
MaxPrepsexternal link

triangle
Joined Nov 2004
127 posts
Texas, U.S.A.
[MORE/SHARE]

thanhda wrote:
EOSViewer, the software which comes with the camera, does allow you to connect the camera to your PC using the white USB cabble and you can use the software to control the camera & shoot. However, you won't see a preview image on PC before shooting.

The benefit? Images go straight to your PC instead of your flashcard and you can view your pics right away in a bigger screen than your small in-camera LCD. I found it very useful in my autofocus practice shoot ;)

You can also have it write to the card as well as the hard drive. I tried this on a shoot but it took L-O-N-G, so I disconnected it and went back to shooting without the laptop. Now the laptop does not have a hi-speed USB and that may be the reason it was slow. I like the concept, but just found it to be slow maybe with faster equipment it would be worthwhile. I remember it was called "Remote Capture". If you have the time it is great, but I was shooting a team with a line waiting. I felt rushed and gave up, but I will try it again if I get ahold of a hi-speed capable laptop.

Post #5, Jun 04, 2005 19:53:25 as a reply to thanhda's post 2 hours earlier.

Canon is Superb

sponsored links
dmaster
Mostly Lurking
Joined Feb 2004
16 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi, I don't post much but would like to add to this thread that if you don't have a hi-speed USB port presently on your laptop it is very inexpensive to purchase a PCMCIA Card with two or four USB 2.0 slots on it. peace.

Post #6, Jun 04, 2005 21:53:07 as a reply to triangle's post 1 hour earlier.

"There are no rules for those whom are love."
http://theprayerofthed​ay.comexternal link
-= }D} }|\/|{aster =-

triangle
Joined Nov 2004
127 posts
Texas, U.S.A.
[MORE/SHARE]

dmaster wrote:
Hi, I don't post much but would like to add to this thread that if you don't have a hi-speed USB port presently on your laptop it is very inexpensive to purchase a PCMCIA Card with two or four USB 2.0 slots on it. peace.

Thanks for the heads up dmaster.:cool:

Post #7, Jun 04, 2005 22:54:12 as a reply to dmaster's post 1 hour earlier.

Canon is Superb

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
Joined May 2005
4,052 posts
Piteå, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

Capture One Pro lets you shoot directly into the computer. Works with the Canon 20D. Also, Canon have their own software for this as well.

Post #8, Jun 05, 2005 10:25:59

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

Andrew ­ Pratt
Joined Mar 2005
449 posts
Winnipeg, MB Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I doubt adding a high speed USB card would help much if you only had the 300D's since its USB connection is only 1.1 so that's the bottleneck..the 20D is USB 2.0 though so it would benefit nicely.

Post #9, Jun 05, 2005 21:01:33

Canon Rebel XT, Kit lens & SD800IS

freshcargo
Joined Jul 2009
361 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

bump, can someone please update on the best way to connect while shooting. is it possible with 7D supplied software? I have managed to do it but I think there is a better way. thanks in advance.

Post #10, Sep 24, 2010 07:46:27

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

mkville
Joined Aug 2009
926 posts
Burlington Ontario
[MORE/SHARE]

On the Digital Photo Professional CD supplied there is a utility that can do this, not sure which one off hand, but I have played with this in the past and it works great.

Whats the way you have done it???

Post #11, Sep 24, 2010 09:19:23

Mark

5D II|Tammy 28-75|35 1.4L |85 1.8
Flick external linkSiteexternal link

sponsored links
lannes
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
4,374 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Free: EOS Utility
More expensive: Lightroom 3.2 (not as functional as EOS Utility)

Post #12, Sep 24, 2010 09:30:52

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
5,594 posts
Canada, Ontario, Milton
[MORE/SHARE]

I have done this with 500D and free Canon software EOS utility provided with camera.
It is same as Live View on the camera and works really great for macro photography of still objects. You’ll have full control of your camera from this utility including camera 10x zoom. If 20D actually supports it.

Post #13, Sep 24, 2010 10:05:17

Siteexternal link. Flickrexternal link. DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

freshcargo
Joined Jul 2009
361 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

mkville wrote in post #10969652external link
On the Digital Photo Professional CD supplied there is a utility that can do this, not sure which one off hand, but I have played with this in the past and it works great.

Whats the way you have done it???

I used DPP. I could not find "EOSViewer" that was mentioned, I thought I might be missing something.

thanks for the replies.

Post #14, Sep 24, 2010 12:30:47

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,570 views & 0 likes for this thread
Conecting Camera to Laptop while shooting?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES