Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of February 2003 (Sat)   #1
Tom Batinich

Default Studio lighting advice for a amateur

I want to purchase a studio lighting system to use with my D60. I am looking at this system

http://www.bkaphoto.com/index.cgi?se...=6995140.30328

I am a Amatuer , and I realize that I could get a cheaper "home" system to learn with but I read on this forum buy cheap and you will buy it twice.

So, my question is how does the type of system connect to the D60 ? I have a 550 EX and I understand how it can use other Canon flashes as a slave but this is a whole different animal.

I want the system for portraits.
Tom Batinich is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of February 2003 (Sat)   #2
Dans_D60

Default Re: Studio lighting advice for a amateur

The D60 is so flexible that just about any reasonable strobe setup will work fine. I found using small 110 WS strobes with larger size (45 inches) umbrellas can do the job just fine with very little investment. My favorite setup is three strobe units; two in front at angles that set the mode and shadow depth and one hair-light usually with a honeycomb filter. More importantly select the correct lens for quality and perspective. I found the 28-70 2.8 L and 70-200 2.8 L work best for portrait work (28-70 at the 65-70 end). I have examples on my web site that were done in my garage studio with several variations of studio lighting setups. Have fun!

Dan
http://www.pettusphoto.com
FB
Dans_D60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2003 (Sun)   #3
Tom Batinich

Thanks , for the info. BTW How does the D60 control the strobes ? Is a shoe attachment or thru the PC terminal ?
Tom Batinich is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of February 2003 (Sun)   #4
JR92

I have a really good Britek set up I will sell for a great price. It comes with everything you need to get started without breaking the bank. I bought it all in September and used it three times. Does not lack a powerful punch when it comes to lighting your subject.
In interested e-mail me.
reynolds@sisqtel.net
JR92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2003 (Sun)   #5
Dans_D60

Default Re: Re: Studio lighting advice for a amateur

Quote:
tom batinich wrote:
Thanks , for the info. BTW How does the D60 control the strobes ? Is a shoe attachment or thru the PC terminal ?
Good question. The PC sync connector on the D60 is my preferred method because the cables are out my way. But, you must be careful with maximum trigger voltages. The D60 like most modern digital cameras can tolerate a maximum trigger voltage of approximately 6volts. It can work with higher voltages but will ‘stress’ the internal circuit design. I have tested all my strobe lights and actually sent one system (an older Novatron VR 400) back for modification. Another method is to use what is called “safe sync” adaptors on the hotshoe. Many manufactures make these so-called adaptors. And, there are many other methods from IR to wireless radio transceivers. But for me in the studio, the old PC sync connector is the easiest and by far the least expensive.
Dan
http://www.pettusphoto.com
FB
Dans_D60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2003 (Sun)   #6
lziering

I've been using my D60 and 550ex with a Photek umbrella/softbox. The flash mounts on a light stand and is pointed into the umbrella with the light coming out of the umbrella diffused by a removable defuser cover. I control the flash with a Canon Wireless transmitter ST-E2. It is a nice set up but you need to be careful when using a D60 with a 550ex as the camera's meter tends to under expose.
lziering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2009 (Sun)   #7
Mark Cullenane

If you can't run to studio lights, try this web site if you havn't already it's a great site for using single or multiple small flash units to achieve pro studio like results.

www.strobist.blogspot.com
5DMk2, 50D & 40D all with Grips| Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 85mm f/1.2L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 2 x 580EXII | Pocket Wizards | Studio Lights & Elinchrom Location Lights and lots of other toys
Mark Cullenane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2009 (Mon)   #8
Veemac
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cullenane View Post
If you can't run to studio lights, try this web site if you havn't already it's a great site for using single or multiple small flash units to achieve pro studio like results.

www.strobist.blogspot.com
Ummm...you do realize this thread was last posted to over 6 1/2 years ago, right?
Old 10th of August 2009 (Mon)   #9
MR do little
User is banned from forums

LOL
MR do little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2009 (Mon)   #10
Mark Cullenane

Oops, Ah well better late than never, I was just surfing a few threads at work in between work interupting me and didn't look at the date.
5DMk2, 50D & 40D all with Grips| Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 85mm f/1.2L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 2 x 580EXII | Pocket Wizards | Studio Lights & Elinchrom Location Lights and lots of other toys
Mark Cullenane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2009 (Mon)   #11
Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea

ROFL

Was stroboist around then?
Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2009 (Mon)   #12
Jim G
I feel thoroughly satisfied

Wow. This has to be the oldest thread resurrection I've seen yet How did you find it?
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote