Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 04 Nov 2009 (Wednesday) 14:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A few I'd like help with...

Andy ­ R
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
So Cal
Nov 04, 2009 14:15 |  #1

well I had to do a triptych for class and one of them being a portait, so i shot these of a friend, now i usually dont photo people, i do cars...so any advice would be a great help...

1- i know its out of focus, but any other coments about it are welcome...

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

2..intetionally focused on her hands to compliment the rest of the project...her being a photographer herself...

these are all just resized and converted to jpeg, so any post processing tips would be appreciated as well.

5Dii ~ SL1
Rok 14mm ~ 24 STM ~ 24-70L f4 IS ~ 50 f1.8 STM ~ 70-200 f4 IS ~ 1.4xii & 2xii

sponsored links
AlexMoPhotography
531 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Nov 04, 2009 14:26 |  #2

#1 I don't like how she's cut off at the bottom.

#2 is nice, but a close-up shot with just her hands and face would be better.

#4 and 5, try tilting the camera just a little to get a more dramatic angle for those kinds of shots.

Seems good overall, just keep shooting. Get some different facial expressions next time around.

Also, try getting shots with her creatively off-centered. For example, imagine a tic-tac-toe in your field of view and place her head in one of the 4 corners. The top right corner is usually the best, but don't over-do it.

I would also ditch the 18-55 kit lens and save up for something better.

Laaaas Vegas Wedding Photography - Alex Mo Photographyexternal link
New Blog ---> The Alex Mo Photography Blog!external link <-- ;)

Andy ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
So Cal
Nov 04, 2009 14:37 |  #3

AlexMoPhotography wrote in post #8954462external link
#1 I don't like how she's cut off at the bottom.

#2 is nice, but a close-up shot with just her hands and face would be better.

#4 and 5, try tilting the camera just a little to get a more dramatic angle for those kinds of shots.

Seems good overall, just keep shooting. Get some different facial expressions next time around.

Also, try getting shots with her creatively off-centered. For example, imagine a tic-tac-toe in your field of view and place her head in one of the 4 corners. The top right corner is usually the best, but don't over-do it.

thanks for the cc, i will defenatly try that, this was shot with the tamron 28-75mm, after shooting with it i cant seem to use the kit lens...

5Dii ~ SL1

ckfishel2001
Goldmember
2,297 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Cincinnati
Nov 04, 2009 15:01 as a reply to AlexMoPhotography's post |  #4

I would also ditch the 18-55 kit lens and save up for something better.[/QUOTE]

I would be careful with this one. It leads to a disease called lens lust. Can be transferable to gear lust in general. I know, I've caught it and am trying to stop. That said, decent advice (I'm not a pro, so it might be better than decent). One thing I noticed on the last shot, seems like there was alot of wall prior to your subject, and then, I couldn't help but notice the street sign in the background.

If I would venture into agreeing with the quoted comment above, I would say that maybe a canon 50mm 1.8 might be good for these shots. It's cheap, and if you look through the thread on the lens, there are some very very good shots coming from that lens when you get the hang of it. It would be able to 'blow out' the back ground even more than the tammy 2.8 did and would help you lose the street sign.

and have fun!!:)

Kevin
Gear List
Flickrexternal link
Fishel Photoexternal link
Facebookexternal link

ckfishel2001
Goldmember
2,297 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Cincinnati
Nov 04, 2009 15:04 as a reply to ckfishel2001's post |  #5

I also like those log seats. I think you could get some cool shots with her sitting, or laying down on those.

It's digital.....play with lots of points of view.

Kevin
Gear List
Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

stsva
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2009
Northern Virginia
Nov 04, 2009 15:07 |  #6

In addition to the good advice already posted, I think #5 would be a lot more interesting if you cropped off the background on the right side so that the image would end just past the girl on the right side.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profileexternal link
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club http://photography-on-the.net ...=744235&highlight=h​amsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Nov 04, 2009 16:09 |  #7

Andy R wrote in post #8954521external link
thanks for the cc, i will defenatly try that, this was shot with the tamron 28-75mm, after shooting with it i cant seem to use the kit lens...

Off topic... I love my tammy:)
I like three the best. A reflector could have bounced in some nice light.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Andy ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
So Cal
Nov 04, 2009 19:47 |  #8

thanks for all the coments everyone! i will deffenatly work on these things, as for the nifty fifty, that was my next lens choice :)

5Dii ~ SL1

ckfishel2001
Goldmember
2,297 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Cincinnati
Nov 04, 2009 21:48 |  #9

Andy R wrote in post #8956282external link
thanks for all the coments everyone! i will deffenatly work on these things, as for the nifty fifty, that was my next lens choice :)

It was a frustrating little lens for me, but when you take the time with it, the end result is much better than the purchase price. I decided I HAD to have a slightly faster lens, so I wound up with the sig 1.4 50mm. great lens, but it has a mind of it's own. From reading through the threads, and my little bit of experience it seems that the 50mm primes all have one issue or another until you get to the 50L. AF is more accurate and noise is reduced (literal noise, not photo grain)....but it costs more than my first car in high school.

You already had nice focus and blur. I think you'll have fun when you can dip down to 1.8 and really make everything except your subject blur out.

Kevin
Gear List
Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

Andy ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
So Cal
Nov 05, 2009 11:08 |  #10

thanks! yeah i was loving the 2.8, im sure the 1.8 will blow my mind lol

5Dii ~ SL1

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009
On The Roads Across America
Nov 05, 2009 11:12 |  #11

I think the biggest issue with these is composition. They're all smack dab in the middle. As already posted, try getting the subject off to one side.

Otherwise, they look pretty good, short of the focus issue.

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

cb1
424 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Nov 05, 2009 22:46 |  #12

where are the car shots? lol

5d2 1d3 50d xsi Owl Coke bottle The Brick Golden Tullip

AlexMoPhotography
531 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Nov 05, 2009 23:46 |  #13

ckfishel2001 wrote in post #8954646external link

I would be careful with this one. It leads to a disease called lens lust. Can be transferable to gear lust in general. I know, I've caught it and am trying to stop.

The other day I thought about selling all my gear to get a 5D and an 85L. But I couldn't decide between that and the 50L. Or the 35L. Or 24L. Now I want them all! Should I be concerned, doc? ??? ???

Laaaas Vegas Wedding Photography - Alex Mo Photographyexternal link
New Blog ---> The Alex Mo Photography Blog!external link <-- ;)

ckfishel2001
Goldmember
2,297 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Cincinnati
Nov 06, 2009 06:19 |  #14

AlexMoPhotography wrote in post #8964335external link
The other day I thought about selling all my gear to get a 5D and an 85L. But I couldn't decide between that and the 50L. Or the 35L. Or 24L. Now I want them all! Should I be concerned, doc? ??? ???

Ah, I see....it seems you have caught this disease:)

Kevin
Gear List
Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

ShutteringFocus
526 posts
Joined Mar 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Nov 06, 2009 10:22 |  #15

Andy, word of advice - ignore any post on this forum related to lenses, cameras, flash equip, and especially at all costs avoid anything having to do with Pocket Wizards!

You can buy equipment until you are blue in the face and red in the bank but my opinion is you should outgrow the equipment you have before you buy new gear (you wana be a photographer or a gear collector?)

**quick note to all the POTN members, I love you all. I'm as much of a gear junkie as any of you...but let's not corrupt this young photog eh?**

You're shots are nice Andy. And it's great to have willing models! When you get someone who is natural in front of the camera and willing to sit while you experiment you should give them all the free photos they want! Hold on to them - they are invaluable.

You said you are shooting these for a class right? Have you talked about the Rule of Thirds? Do a google search, or search the forum if you haven't heard of it.

The basic idea is that you divide your view-finder into a three by three grid (so you get 9 boxes). You then place points of interest at the intersections of the lines.

Now, here's the thing with art rules. They pretty much exist to be broken right? And true that may be, but most of the best artists are all capable of producing really boring rule following works of art. Get good at rule following, then you'll get good at GOOD rule breaking. (at least that's one theory)

The other thing that I'm sure you have talked about in class, or will soon, is to be careful not to cut off parts of the photo that our brain really really really wants to fill in. i.e. if there were a form or shape that we all know well...say a leg for example...and you cut if off right at the joint...like at the knee perhaps...something happens in our brain and we really really really want to see that leg continue. It becomes a huge distraction.

Take your first shot for example. There are a lot of lines that a viewer wants to see the end of. Her elbows, her legs, ...the whole bottom half of her body for example. Same thing on your second shot - cut off at the knees. When framing a shot, try to break bones, not joints (in other words cut off in-between joints.) For some reason we can be at peace with a leg that ends mid thigh, or an arm that ends just below the shoulder.

I think the shots leaning up against that wall have the most potential. You get some really cool lines from the siding that lead your eye straight to your model which is always good.

On the closer up one (IMG_6197) we lost the very bottom of her right shirt sleeve...my eye just goes down there and I desperately want to see that little bit that is cut off. It's that whole closure thing. Keep the lines closed. If you were to crop this one tighter and make the bottom of the frame just a bit below her shoulder I think it might be more pleasing.

There are some things you could have done with a reflector too. I'm talking a white piece of matte board or something (Arts and crafts stores have them on sale all the time. Hobby Lobby just had a %50 off sale and I bought a bunch of new ones. They cost $3 when they are 50% off.) You could bounce a little light on the dark side of her face for fill to bring up the shadows and make the stark contrast between the light side and dark side of her face a little less stark.

All of that said, here's what I'd suggest. There are a million things to think about when taking photos. what you have to do is train yourself to make them second nature. So pick one thing. Just one. Like the rule of 1/3 for example. And FIXATE on that. I mean become obsessed with it.

Forget lighting, forget backgrounds, forget everything...just frame up photos in the classic rule of 1/3. Then stick all of those photos in a folder on your computer and label it RULE OF 1/3.

Then, start experimenting with some reflected fill light, but don't forget the rule of 1/3. Keep building the skills one at a time, and always review your photos on the computer and make mental notes ("oh, the fill light is good on this one...but I forgot the 1/3 rule" etc.)

If you can be that methodical, you can really improve fast!

sponsored links

1,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
A few I'd like help with...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.