Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Sports
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of November 2009 (Mon)   #1
ShauningtoN

Default 50D noise? Says who! :P

haha nah I dont want to start a flamewar, but reguardless of what people say of the 50D's noise, if you spend 5 minutes profiling some noise reduction software (that can be automatically applied during workflow and takes hardly any time after that...) you can get some fairly impressive results, results that I'm very happy with, and since the noise doesnt bother me, I'm not going to keep using the 50D at 3200, 6400 and 12800, whatever it takes to get the shot

Here is a shot I did last week at my friends basketball, on the court fittling named: 'The Dungeon'

The lighting on this court is especially bad, and here is a ISO 6400 shot pushed 1 stop in post (12800 ISO EC)

Noisereduction done with dFine on auto (because the standard 100/100 worked fine)

I'm not saying people are incorrect for saying the 50D's noisy, some of the files can look quite bad at 100% off the camera, but if you're applying noise reduction to your files anyway (like I see a lot of raw shooters doing with high iso shots) I don't see the issue

Shaun

EDIT to fix img embed

Last edited by ShauningtoN : 9th of November 2009 (Mon) at 00:29.
ShauningtoN is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of November 2009 (Mon)   #2
Croasdail
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: 50D noise? Says who! :P

Not bad.... not familiar with dFine.... will have to look it up.

Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.
Croasdail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of November 2009 (Mon)   #3
brownbugger

this iz goood , i shoot regularly at 1600+ at concerts , and have got published regularly. Never used dFine.
Gripped Canon 50D, Canon 400D with BG-E3 Grip, 580 EXII Flash, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L , Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L / Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 /Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 / Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
brownbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of November 2009 (Tue)   #4
goatydude

I have found with the 50D I can shoot to ISO 2000 with no noise reduction and get good results.

I think people look at the 100% crop and see noise but in real world its not an issue. Dont know if there is anything in this but a 100%crop from a 50D is alot larger image than that of say a 30D or 40D, this in turn you would think would show/exagerate the noise in the image.
Have noticed the shots at medium raw out of the 50D has a lot less noise than that of the full RAW at 100% this is what got me thinking about the above comment.

I have compared my 50D to a 1D mark 11 no noise reduction at iso 3200 same place light lense everything 1minute apart, same print size the 50D was a little bit better in my opinion. Still about to buy a 1D mark 11 but.

Cheers
Daniel
goatydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of November 2009 (Tue)   #5
locky
User is banned from forums

I never heard of dFine either. Show us a before and after shot. Try to do some wb adjustments also. Thanks!!
locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of November 2009 (Tue)   #6
DL.Photography

Do you have any examples of lower light conditions? That looks like a decently lit gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShauningtoN View Post
haha nah I dont want to start a flamewar, but reguardless of what people say of the 50D's noise, if you spend 5 minutes profiling some noise reduction software (that can be automatically applied during workflow and takes hardly any time after that...) you can get some fairly impressive results, results that I'm very happy with, and since the noise doesnt bother me, I'm not going to keep using the 50D at 3200, 6400 and 12800, whatever it takes to get the shot

Here is a shot I did last week at my friends basketball, on the court fittling named: 'The Dungeon'

The lighting on this court is especially bad, and here is a ISO 6400 shot pushed 1 stop in post (12800 ISO EC)

Noisereduction done with dFine on auto (because the standard 100/100 worked fine)

I'm not saying people are incorrect for saying the 50D's noisy, some of the files can look quite bad at 100% off the camera, but if you're applying noise reduction to your files anyway (like I see a lot of raw shooters doing with high iso shots) I don't see the issue

Shaun

EDIT to fix img embed
Old 10th of November 2009 (Tue)   #7
Dan-o
Goldmember

Quote:
That looks like a decently lit gym.
You just have to look at the settings to realize this was not a well lit gym.
FaceBook Page
Dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of November 2009 (Wed)   #8
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

Noise don't bug me and I've all but ditched noise reduction - though would rather shoot with strobes or good light any day of course! 3200 and down on the III is good and doesn't need it. 6400 some look good and some it brings out the worst in what you did. Only gripe with this pic is the skin tones are off big and looks like he's a ghost. Would like to see a before and after - really with the camera bodies now and getting the settings right in camera so not much post is needed noise reduction is becoming a thing of the past for many.
MJPhotos24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of November 2009 (Thu)   #9
lespaulowner

Hahaha, 50D noise concerns = shens
lespaulowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of November 2009 (Thu)   #10
AJ05

Biggest problem I see with this image is the white balance. The 50D does very well when you set a custom WB.
Old 13th of November 2009 (Fri)   #11
ShauningtoN

haha the offset w/b was my bad, I was shooting a custom W/B, but was catching the lights at varying temperatures (shooting 1/400 on a 50Hz light cycle)

Well, I dont want to get your hopes up prematurely, but I've been noticing i've been able to get some CRAZY EC ISO's out of my 50D lately.... And I was puzzled why, previously 3200 was pretty chunkily noisy etc, but now, still shooting raw, I shot another basketball game tonight, this at ENTIRELY ISO 12800(H2 in camera, not 6400 pushed, and yes, I also pushed a number of shots) and the noise performance has blown me away...

My 'secret'? Lightrooms Auto-Tone function. Ive been using that on import recently, and i dont really know why I started - but something in the 'auto-tone' basically gets rid a good deal of all the nasty, ugly noise straight off the bat... i was previously applying crazy amounts of NR to 3200/6400 shots, and now I'm applying only moderate (40% in dFine) amounts to 12800 shots....

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7898/50dnoise.png, 100% crops trying to demonstrate what i mean

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/224...sidescaled.png - left is before ANY NR!!! (ISO 12800!!!)

USM+export

EXIF should be intact! if not, ISO 12800, 1/640th, f/2.8, M

same EXIF, different shot
Note: Havne't done whitebalance adjustments to this shot, so ignore that, this is just to demonstrate my findings... havent touched the 'banding' either.

EDIT: Now, I'm no sports shooter, but I would rate these shots perfectly usable (compared to the 'joke' that most people lable 50D ISO 12800...)

It's no 1D IV/D3s, but nor did it cost $5000, and it's also been out for a year!

Last edited by ShauningtoN : 13th of November 2009 (Fri) at 10:28.
ShauningtoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of November 2009 (Fri)   #12
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

Cut off too much on the last two shots but they look better skin tone wise. One of the first editors I did stuff for always said it - leave me crop room. Yes, this is contradictory to the belief to shoot tight and crop tighter! Too tight is just as bad as too far away.

Speaking of noise though, someone told me at an NFL stadium last night the Nikon D3 was too noisy! How to tell if someone doesn't know what they're doing....they make that comment!
MJPhotos24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of November 2009 (Fri)   #13
ShauningtoN

oh yeah, i know the composition of these shots is a little lacking, i was more just showing how amazed i was with the ISO performance.

baahhaha! so true!
Old 14th of November 2009 (Sat)   #14
musicmaster
Saw the Light

I'm really debating either going from my 40D to either a 50D or 7D. I would love to have 1/3 stop increases between 1600 and 3200 and have the option of 6400.
musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of December 2009 (Fri)   #15
Meee

Those orginals don't look like my 12k iso originals. Mine are magneta with bright bands. The in camera noise reduction does a very good job, and the bands are much fainter in the jpgs, but I'd like to know how to get rid of them myself.
Meee is offline   Reply With Quote