Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 10 Nov 2009 (Tuesday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backyard evening visitor

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,232 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Nov 10, 2009 17:03 |  #1

I've seen these fellows before in my back yard. However, they always scoot away before I can run into the house and get the camera. This was is a juvenile that was munching on something. Juvies tend not to be as fearful.

This was shot with a 40D, 580-EX II, and EF 70-200 f/2.8L. I reduced the exposure because the original looked like broad daylight. In fact, it was almost pitch black.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Cyclop
Cream of the Crop
6,899 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 10, 2009 19:03 |  #2

Nice capture. These guys are tough creatures. I once saw one fall from a 25-foot tree limb, hit the ground, shake it off, and headed into the brush.

Canon 50D w/grip, Canon 7D, Mark II w/grip, Tokina UWA 11-16 2.8, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS, Canon 300 4 L IS, Canon 400 5.6 L, Canon 100 "macro" 2.8, Canon 60 "macro" 2.8, Canon Extender 1.4xII, Gitzo 3531S tripod w/Markins M20 ballhead, Gitzo GT2531EX tripod, Bogen-Manfrotto 681B monopod w/3232 head.

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 11, 2009 12:14 as a reply to  @ Cyclop's post |  #3

Possums are neat animals.we don;t have them here on the island, but had masses of them over on the mainland..usually alot of them ended up as roadkill on the highways:(

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

jpd3n
34 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 12, 2009 14:10 |  #4

Great shot! I have a ton of them, but have never caught one on "film".

drevilsmom
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 12, 2009 22:51 |  #5

We get a lot of them as well. Actually, I find the adults to be more "dopey", so to speak, and have been able to grab them by the tail and pick them up. The little ones are light enough to flip up and climb their own tails, though, so I leave them be. Their fur is quite soft, and I find them to be neat animals. I read a study about them while I was in mammalogy class that said the majority of adults had several broken bones, of which the main one broken in most cases is usually the scapula. I suppose that could be from frequent falls.

Elizabeth

40D and modded 20D| 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | nifty fifty | assortment of pentax lenses with adapter
CG-5GT | AT102ED

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

972 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backyard evening visitor
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.