Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of November 2009 (Tue)   #1
Wawrzysz

Default Tokina 35mm f/2.8 Macro

Has anyone got this lens? any chances for some samples?
Wawrzysz is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of November 2009 (Wed)   #2
TweakMDS
Goldmember

Default Re: tokina 35mm 2.8 macro m35

I recently bought one used... prepare to be picture spammed
I already owned the Canon 100mm macro, but found a really good deal on it and just placed one of those "what if" bids... Score!

I made a topic with a bit of a mini-review here a while ago (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=773049).

A cross-post snippet from that (clickety-click for full sized versions on flickr):
Quote:
#1 f/6.3, 1/160th, ISO 640

#2 f/8, 1/320th, ISO 640

#3 f/5.6, 1/30th, ISO 160

#4 f/5.6, 1/20th, ISO 160

#5 f/2.8, 1/400th, ISO 160
And I added these two yesterday (used the first one for the FM weekly assignment 371).

#6: f/6.3, 1/200th, ISO 320

#7: f/2.8, 1/125th, ISO 100

If you want to keep track of it, this lens is on my camera a LOT lately, and I tag all my images with it on flickr with the equipment tag: Tokina AT-X M35 PRO DX 35mm f/2.8 Macro.
Thanks for looking, C&C is always welcome and appreciated.
"My featured shots"

Last edited by TweakMDS : 18th of November 2009 (Wed) at 17:17.
TweakMDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2009 (Wed)   #3
nightcat
Goldmember

I have never heard of any lens ever getting less publicity than this Tokina 35mm 2.8 macro. Hardly any reviews and very little discussion. This comes from the same lens maker who made the wonderful and highly touted 11-16mm 2.8, which has had many reviews, and is discussed frequently. It looks like they sold at least one of these macros, as TweakMDS is an owner. I was curious about the sharpness in non macro photos. Would like to see some bokeh as well. If you have more to post, please do.
nightcat is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of November 2009 (Thu)   #4
Wawrzysz

im so glad to see such a reply.
Are these samples jpeg or converted raws?
there is a comparison test of the equivalent pentax 35 2.8 and the sigma 30mm but I lost the link.
From what I ve found on the net, tokina m35 is very sharp however tends to produce a dull bokeh and seems to have not enough contrast at times. Any comme
nt on that? waiting anxiously for some indoor pics.
Old 19th of November 2009 (Thu)   #5
TweakMDS
Goldmember

Samples are all converted raws (lightroom 2.4 - I think all the global settings are in the ExIF still), but I haven't fiddled with the conversion for hours, so there's possibly room for improvement there...
I actually think the bokeh is nice, and pretty creamy, almost Sigma-like. It does have the nice circles (9-bladed aperture) when you include some small highlights in the background.

I'm at work right now, but I have the camera sitting next to me, so might take a few shots (close ups and some at infinity) with it later today during lunch. Any requests for indoor tests? I also have the Tamron 17-50 with me for possible comparison.
"My featured shots"

Last edited by TweakMDS : 19th of November 2009 (Thu) at 02:40.
Old 19th of November 2009 (Thu)   #6
Wawrzysz

I would be more than happy to see pictures of people indoors (average lighting conditions) taken with this extremely attractive lens. TweakMDS thanx again for the stuff you sent so far
Old 19th of November 2009 (Thu)   #7
TweakMDS
Goldmember

For those of you that are interested: I did a quick & dirty comparison between the Tokina 35mm macro and Tamron 17-50 at 36mm (close enough I guess).

I shoot a simple frame near the office, and made a 710 x 710 pixels 100% crops out of the middle and the edges (left middle edge, the top / bottom were water/skye, so not interesting).

My quick conclusion: Tamron has a tiny bit more contrast in the middle, sharpness is a tie with a *slight* nudge towards the Tamron at F/2.8, but the Tokina seems to take it across the frame when stopped down..
The corners go to the Tokina at all apertures, hands down. In fact, I'm severely disappointed by my Tamron in this (in comparison to the Tokina 35mm macro anyway). I'll make it defend it's honour at 17mm against the Tokina 11-16 soon again.

Please feel free to correct my testing methods / check my exif for errors. I know I should really use a tripod and remote shutter, but my lunchbreak is technically only 30 minutes, and with these kind of shutterspeeds, it shouldn't have any impact...

Tokina @ F/2.8, middle

Tamron @ F/2.8, middle

Tokina @ F/2.8, edge

Tamron @ F/2.8, edge

Tokina @ F/5.6, middle

Tamron @ F/5.6, middle

Tokina @ F/5.6, edge

Tamron @ F/5.6, edge
"My featured shots"

Last edited by TweakMDS : 19th of November 2009 (Thu) at 09:23.
Old 19th of November 2009 (Thu)   #8
TweakMDS
Goldmember

And continued at F8:
Tokina @ F/8, middle

Tamron @ F/8, middle

Tokina @ F/8, edge

Tamron @ F/8, edge
"My featured shots"
Old 19th of November 2009 (Thu)   #9
TweakMDS
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawrzysz View Post
I would be more than happy to see pictures of people indoors (average lighting conditions) taken with this extremely attractive lens. TweakMDS thanx again for the stuff you sent so far
Not a problem, I enjoy doing it and contributing to every lens being well known. You might have to wait a while for different images of indoor people, but I'll make sure to use it at the next family meeting

PS. The above images are all VERY unflattering for either lens. I used a basic color temperature, and did absolutely no other post processing than Lightroom 2.4's default raw conversion and cropping. All shots were handheld, but (imho) well within the handheld range of shutterspeeds. If this raises any conflicts, I'll redo them with a tripod and timer / cord.

As always, C&C is very welcome and appreciated. Full sized versions are available, but didn't really feel like uploading another 15mb just yet
"My featured shots"

Last edited by TweakMDS : 19th of November 2009 (Thu) at 07:30.
Old 19th of November 2009 (Thu)   #10
Wawrzysz

clearly Tokina is sharper in the corners but I was expecting to see more detailed and smoother picture in case of the prime. Look forward for the indoors.
Old 19th of November 2009 (Thu)   #11
TweakMDS
Goldmember

I was actually surprised at how well it held up against the Tamron 17-50, which is commonly considered to be pretty damn sharp. The Tokina owns the Tamron in the corners and there's not much to improve in the center I think. Like I said, these 100% crops (of a dull, grayish scene) are both unforgiving and unflattering for either lens.
The next time I go out shooting something more interesting, I'll make sure to do another comparison, and maybe throw the 50 1.8 and the 100mm macro in the mix.
"My featured shots"
Old 20th of November 2009 (Fri)   #12
Wawrzysz

Wow, that would be the first comparative test of this lens on the net, it makes me really anxious to see the results.
Old 22nd of November 2009 (Sun)   #13
Wawrzysz

has anybody else got some pics to share, please?
Old 22nd of November 2009 (Sun)   #14
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

Hoya own TOkina and Pentax. This is essentially the same lens as the Pentax 35mm DA without sealing and the SWM AF. You might want to look up samples for that lens.
tkbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of November 2009 (Fri)   #15
Wawrzysz

I decided to buy this tokina m35 and check it myself. I previously owned a sigma 24-60 which was a very decent lens, except for slight softness at 2.8 and general brownish/dull/offset color reproduction - sigma specific (of course this is my own personal opinion) I also own an old tokina atx 17mm pro which I like A LOT (excellent color rendition, smooth gradients etc/ a bit soft at 3.5)
First impressions about tokina m35:
-no lens hood
-comparing to tokina atx 17mm - not so solid, doesn't have the metal feel, kind of cheapo look although VERY good build quality comparing to canon ef lenses.
- AF precise - the sound is audible although acceptable for me
- color rendition is VERY precise - some lenses make colors pop, some make them change the hue and this tokina is WYSIWYG in my opinion
so far so good - sending two quick samples taken indoors - more soon
btw - chromatic abberations are visible
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3750s.jpg (136.8 KB, 1715 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3745s.jpg (132.2 KB, 1712 views)