Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5 Days Ago   #1
Beard Man

Default Canon 5D Mark III ergonomic vs Nikon D810

Guys,maybe some one have a two cameras to compare which grip is more comfortable: 5D Mark III or Nikon D810 ?

Thanks!
Beard Man is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5 Days Ago   #2
nellyle

Default Re: Canon 5D Mark III ergonomic vs Nikon D810

I would say that's something only you could answer by trying them out to find out what works best with your hands,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68525435@N05/
nellyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #3
5280Pics

IMHO, Only you know what is going to be most comfortable in your hand. What might be just perfect in my small pudgy hands could be the worst thing ever to someone with big hands, and long skinny fingers.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5 Days Ago   #4
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time

like others have said, it's something that you have to hand hold. I remember watching a video with Chase Javis and he was going on about which system to use. He choose the one that feels the best one to hold. which happens to be Nikon.
Old 5 Days Ago   #5
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember

5D MKIII...happy now?

I think I would worry more about the ergonomics of the button layout and functions more than the grip.
Gregg.Siam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #6
Beard Man

OK,OK ... ,there is no D810 around here.

No,honestly,holding 5D Mark III vs D800 its total "crap" how uncomfortable is D800 grip is,the grip on 5D Mark III is just awesome,just my IMHO.

But grip on D810 is completely different,thats why I'm asking,if someone have one.

Last edited by Beard Man : 5 Days Ago at 03:49.
Old 5 Days Ago   #7
Beard Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg.Siam View Post
5D MKIII...happy now?

I think I would worry more about the ergonomics of the button layout and functions more than the grip.
Did you compare both?

Button layout?

Well I like hove button layout is done on Canon body.

I hate button layout on D7100,D610,but D810 not bad at all,ISO,WB,Metering is on the upper left side,but again you need a second hand to make a change settings....

Last edited by Beard Man : 5 Days Ago at 03:48.
Old 5 Days Ago   #8
Jon_Doh

Personal taste. The D800 didn't feel right, but they made some changes and the D810 is a big improvement. It comes down to controls and which one appeals more to you.
Canon A2 (film), 24-50 Sigma, 70-210 Sigma
Jon_Doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #9
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

I don't have the 5DMkIII or the Nikon D810, but I do have the MkII and the 800E. For me the ergonomics between the two are a bit different but each is quite easy to use. Both are very comfortable in hand, controls are easy to get to, nothing is really all that different. As to the menus. some things are easier to access from one and some from the other and neither require much brain power to figure out. For me it's a wash.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #10
Coral

I like the feel better in the Canon, button layout is a much better execution. Menu structure seems much more user friendly in Canon also. The Nikon felt not as comfortable in my hands.

Gear: Camera 5D3, Glass: EF 50mm f1.4, EF 100mm f2.8, EF 70-200mm f4, EF 500mm f4 II, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #11
510storm

.... are you really deciding on which one of these to get by how they feel in your hand? That would be the last of my worries.
510storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #12
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Thumbs up Re: Canon 5D Mark III ergonomic vs Nikon D810

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510storm View Post
.... are you really deciding on which one of these to get by how they feel in your hand? That would be the last of my worries.
One of the thing about feel is that it is almost impossible to tell by handling alone. When I shot Canon only, Canon cameras felt right and others not so good. After picking up the 800 and working with if for a couple of days, it felt just as natural as the Canon's did. These days I can switch back and forth quite easily and get use to the feel within a few minutes. Handling a Sony though still feels funny as I have had very little time with one. I'm sure if I spent a day or two, it would feel just as comfortable as my Canon or Nikon.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #13
Beard Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510storm View Post
Yes exactly! I like both Canon and Nikon,if D810 feels in hand also so comfortablelike 5D Mark III I'll buy a D810,if not - 5D Mark III.
D810 is much better than 5D Mark III I think in every way: AF,Megapixels,Lens seems like have more resolution than Canon Lens (I think thats why Canon doesn't have a high Meg.Camera),buts its just my IMHO.

I really like 5D Mark III,just need to compare it how both feels in hand.

Also read Ken Rockwell about auto-focus on Canon camera (in this case 5D Mark II,I think 5D Mark III have the same) : "Unlike the 51 AF sensors with real facial recognition in Nikons, the all-sensor position of the 5D Mark II isn't very smart. It won't focus automatically on eyeballs, it tends to focus on whatever's closest. "

Thats why I also more toward to Nikon,seems like AF is extremely accurate.

Last edited by Beard Man : 4 Days Ago at 14:27.
Old 4 Days Ago   #14
Nick5
Goldmember

Coming from a 40D to a 7D was great for me as the grip was made for my hand. Still trying to figure if they cast my hand one night while I was sleeping.
When I was looking to add another body, either the 5D Mark II or the 7D, the grip was one of the reasons I bought a second 7D, along with the AF system and View Finder Grid Display.
When my wishes were met with the release of the 5D Mark III, I knew I had to get my hands on one.......
Canon 5D Mark III, BG-E11 Grip, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 10-22, 17-40 f/4 L, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 4 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer
Nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #15
jocau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard Man View Post
Yes exactly! I like both Canon and Nikon,if D810 feels in hand also so comfortablelike 5D Mark III I'll buy a D810,if not - 5D Mark III.
D810 is much better than 5D Mark III I think in every way: AF,Megapixels,Lens seems like have more resolution than Canon Lens (I think thats why Canon doesn't have a high Meg.Camera),buts its just my IMHO.

I really like 5D Mark III,just need to compare it how both feels in hand.

Also read Ken Rockwell about auto-focus on Canon camera (in this case 5D Mark II,I think 5D Mark III have the same) : "Unlike the 51 AF sensors with real facial recognition in Nikons, the all-sensor position of the 5D Mark II isn't very smart. It won't focus automatically on eyeballs, it tends to focus on whatever's closest. "

Thats why I also more toward to Nikon,seems like AF is extremely accurate.
The 5D3 and 1DX blow away any Nikon DSLR when it comes down to AF. As far as I know, there isn't a single Nikon DSLR which has crosstype AF points at the sides. Maybe you should read the blog post of former Nikonian Andy Rouse and why he prefers the 1DX AF system above anything Nikon has to offer (remember that the 1DX and 5D3 AF systems don't differ that much).