Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
enrigonz

Default 60D or Rebel 5ti

Given the choice... which would you buy and why?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
GeoKras1989

Default Re: 60D or Rebel 5ti

60D has better controls and a top-deck LCD.
GeoKras1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
John from PA
Cream of the Crop

My niece has the T5i and I have the 60D so using both the 60D hands down is my preference. It just feels better in my hands, due in large part to the additional weight. I like the feel of a camera with some "heft" which in my opinion can help in holding the camera steady.

Last edited by John from PA : 3 Weeks Ago at 15:20.
John from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
enrigonz

The 5ti kit I'm looking at has an 18-135 STM and the 60D sells with a standard 18-135 lens. I take some videos every once in a while but not often. I want to buy one or the other but not 100% sure of which. Any help is appreciated. The price for both kits are about the same.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Brian_R
Goldmember

what are you trying to shoot/use the camera for? Kind of a crucial detail otherwise it really is impossible to give good advice
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
enrigonz

I shoot everything. I don't really have a specific need for one type of photography or another. I shoot lots of pictures of my son (5 year old), wild life, charity events, portraits , air shows, nature. Not much low light shooting or the need for fast FPS, I don't practice the spray and pray method. You can pretty much see what kind of photography I do if you visit my Flickr page.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

T5i Pros = C-AF during video with STM lenses, cheaper new price(although some great used/refurb 60D deals), lighter weight, touch screen, higher top ISO setting (25600 vs 12800)
60D Pros = better viewfinder (prism vs mirror on T5i), better controls (dual wheel), top LCD, better build, larger grip, MUCH (nearly 3x) better battery life, faster max shutter (1/8000 vs 1/4000),

Image quality, AF system, metering and burst fps will be essentially identical.

If I had some STM lenses and shot some home video where I wanted C-AF, I'd consider the T5i, but otherwise, I think the 60D is clearly the winner.
tkbslc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
bogeypro

Google "60D vs t5i" and look at the results at snapsort, it'll affirm the previous posters comments that the 60D is the better choice. As far as esthetics hold them in-hand to see which one feels better to you.
bogeypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
modestglock26

I cannot vouch for the Rebel line but I've had: 20d, 2 40d's, 50, 60d and a 5dc. I love my 60d and think it would be hard to dislike. I put a grip on mine and use the two batteries (not the AA option) and it'll last me for my long weekend trips to FL when I visit my daughter. Everyone likes to write off the 60d for not having the same metal frame as the others but I'm not complaining at all. If I had to pick between the 60d and the Rebel I would opt for the 60d due to the top LCD myself.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
enrigonz

So, other than the touch screen and better video recording capabilities, the T5i doesn't really have much more to offer? It's a newer camera with some great features but I see the difference is not so much over the 60D. One is a xxD line which is always going to be a better choice but I thought the new T5i was a nice change of pace for the xxxD line. I'm wondering if anyone that had an older xxD went and bought a T5i and liked it better after being used to the controls and ergonomics of the xxD cameras.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Once you get used to the two dial (or thumbpad) controls its so much easier to adjust settings on the fly.
gonzogolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
moltengold
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigonz View Post
So, other than the touch screen and better video recording capabilities, the T5i doesn't really have much more to offer? It's a newer camera with some great features but I see the difference is not so much over the 60D. One is a xxD line which is always going to be a better choice but I thought the new T5i was a nice change of pace for the xxxD line. I'm wondering if anyone that had an older xxD went and bought a T5i and liked it better after being used to the controls and ergonomics of the xxD cameras.
<<<<< from FF 5D3, to 70D to 700D ( T5i )
I like the small body to use it with my big macro lens the MP-E 65
even with other big lenses like the 400 f/5.6L , you feel that you are holding the lens without any body
it's a crop camera like other cameras but in a good weight and price
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
BrickR
Cream of the Crop

60d over the T5i unless you want a touch screen.

The T5i does AF in video mode but it is better on paper than in real use. It is slow, hunts, and focus breaths. Only really useful if you're sitting in one spot and don't move much, or do it very slowly.

The battery, VF, ISO 1/3 selections, and top LCD are all very useful upgrades. The buffer is deeper on the 60d so the fps of the T5i are a little misleading because of the smaller buffer.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
crbinson

How much are you looking to spend? The 70D body can be had for $799 after MIR and you get a printer, paper, bag, and memory card to boot. It incorporates the features of and bests both the 60D and T5i.

http://www.adorama.com/ICA70DZ.html
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
enrigonz

Well, I bought the T5i for now. I started DSLR photography with the Canon Rebels, my last Rebel was a T2i which performed excellent through the years. Earlier this year "I thought" I wanted something lighter to carry around so I bought a Samsung mirror-less DSLR (NX300). While the camera performed well and took excellent quality photos, I could never adjust to the small camera and in that particular model to the absence of a viewfinder.

Canon has tons of third party lens, flash guns, accessories, etc. After further review I decided to move up from the idea of buying a 60D to a 70D but a little out of my budget so I settled for a 5Ti with the 18-135MM STM lens. I think the camera performs great for my use and the lens is a great lens for the price. I wanted the video capabilities of the 5Ti/70D, the new processor and touch screen.

I will probably use it for a few months, sell it and buy a 70D later on.