Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of October 2010 (Wed)   #46
katodog
Goldmember

Default Re: Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar/Polar/Bower/Opteka/Falcon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical IF

Geez, that's a little too sharp! that's like what I get out of the 100mm IS L macro for portraits, so sharp it's brutal. At least your model is good-looking enough and has great skin, so there's no worries about flaws showing.

I love this lens when you look at Exif and half the stuff is all zeroes. It's funny as heck.

My Gear - Flickr - Facebook
Smoke Photography - Sound-Activated Paint

katodog is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #47
RaZe42

Default Re: Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar/Polar/Bower/Opteka/Falcon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical IF

Yeah, it's nice having a f/0 lens. It lets through a lot of light...unfortunately all my pictures come out overexposed But think of the bokeh!

Dividing by zero is fun.
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #48
ebann
Once an ugly duckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZe42 View Post

Dividing by zero is fun.
Only if you are a mathematician...
ebann is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #49
JoeyBowman

Just received my Rokinon 85mm. Looking forward to posting some photos soon.
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #50
katodog
Goldmember

My biggest issue with this lens is that it sits in the bag, because I have the 100mm IS L that I use. This poor lens only comes out when I'm bored. I think maybe I should go out and shoot with just this lens and leave everything else at home.

My Gear - Flickr - Facebook
Smoke Photography - Sound-Activated Paint

katodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #51
ebann
Once an ugly duckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodog View Post
My biggest issue with this lens is that it sits in the bag, because I have the 100mm IS L that I use. This poor lens only comes out when I'm bored. I think maybe I should go out and shoot with just this lens and leave everything else at home.
My biggest issue is that I don't need this lens because I have the 85L (Mk1)... but I really am a sucker for bargains and this lens *IS* a bargain! If anything, I'd add it to my travel kit (T2i et al)...
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #52
RaZe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodog View Post
What about taking one camera and one lens(the Samylux in this case), and just walking around looking for things suiting that focal length. I find it immensely satisfying.
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #53
RaZe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebann View Post
Only if you are a mathematician...
You sure?

Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #54
JoeyBowman

Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #55
ebann
Once an ugly duckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBowman View Post
Stop it!!! I can't stand it no longer!

Nice shot. Do you plan to install the AF chip?
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #56
JoeyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebann View Post
Stop it!!! I can't stand it no longer!

Nice shot. Do you plan to install the AF chip?

Thanks!
No plans to do so. I personally do not think it would make any difference or really help besides telling you that you are in the ball field of having correct focus. At f/1.4 the DOF is so small and the AF box is so big that there could still be a pretty large margin for error. Or at least to me it would seem that way, I could be completely wrong.
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #57
JoeyBowman

Old 8th of October 2010 (Fri)   #58
RaZe42

Nice shots Joey!
Old 8th of October 2010 (Fri)   #59
mtakako

Thinking of getting this lens a try. I am currently using a 5DMk2. Is there any benefit of getting the new Nikon version with AUTOMATIC EXPOSURE METERING?
mtakako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of October 2010 (Fri)   #60
RaZe42

No. All lenses meter on Canon SLRs. (Technically, lenses don't meter, cameras do. Nikon just won't meter without a lens detected. Same thing with Canon and AF confirm.)

Just get the cheapest version you can find. (in EF mount)