Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of October 2010 (Fri)   #61
Hamfist

Default Re: Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar/Polar/Bower/Opteka/Falcon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical IF

overstock.com has them, last time I checked.
Old 8th of October 2010 (Fri)   #62
mtakako

Default Re: Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar/Polar/Bower/Opteka/Falcon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical IF

So just to confirm, the best option is a EOS mount with AF confirmation chip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZe42 View Post
No. All lenses meter on Canon SLRs. (Technically, lenses don't meter, cameras do. Nikon just won't meter without a lens detected. Same thing with Canon and AF confirm.)

Just get the cheapest version you can find. (in EF mount)
mtakako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of October 2010 (Fri)   #63
RaZe42

I'd skip the focus confirmation chip too. If you have the Eg-S focusing screen it's not needed. Just trust your eyes.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of October 2010 (Fri)   #64
mtakako

Sounds good. I do have the EG-S screen. Time to order one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZe42 View Post
I'd skip the focus confirmation chip too. If you have the Eg-S focusing screen it's not needed. Just trust your eyes.
mtakako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of October 2010 (Sun)   #65
JoeyBowman

Here are some more. Im getting the hang of manually focusing this lens, really starting to love it.

Old 11th of October 2010 (Mon)   #66
JoeyBowman

Old 17th of October 2010 (Sun)   #67
JoeyBowman

Old 18th of October 2010 (Mon)   #68
LynC

All of you here are a bad influence! I have been debating between this and a Canon 85 1.8 and your pictures won me over. I also ordered a programable chip to install to see how well it works; however if that doesn't cut it there is always live view. Meanwhile back at the ranch...waiting for the big brown truck to show!
LynC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of October 2010 (Mon)   #69
JoeyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynC View Post
All of you here are a bad influence! I have been debating between this and a Canon 85 1.8 and your pictures won me over. I also ordered a programable chip to install to see how well it works; however if that doesn't cut it there is always live view. Meanwhile back at the ranch...waiting for the big brown truck to show!

Once you get it use it for a while. The first day I sucked at manually focusing this lens, but everyday it got easier and my keeper rate went up. As long as my subject isn't moving, or at least isn't moving fast I can get just as high of a keeper rate as any other lens I have.
Old 19th of October 2010 (Tue)   #70
rjx
Goldmember

This lens looks great!

Just thought I would try to find the lowest prices (I searched all 7 brands)

Rokinon 85mm $249.95 + free s/h
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...5MN&sku=RO85MN

I would like to get this and test it against my 85mm 1.8

I wonder how this compares to the new Sigma 85 1.4? The Sigma is $649.05 more than the Rokinon! Whoa!

“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”
rjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of October 2010 (Wed)   #71
JoeyBowman

Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #72
Photostock

Can anyone comment on the focus ring of this lens? I'm thinking of picking one up for video work on the 7D. I'm used to manual focusing but I just hope it isn't like the Canon 50 1.4's ring which is the worst I've used. Lots of play and a 'gravelly' feel.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #73
Hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photostock View Post
Can anyone comment on the focus ring of this lens? I'm thinking of picking one up for video work on the 7D. I'm used to manual focusing but I just hope it isn't like the Canon 50 1.4's ring which is the worst I've used. Lots of play and a 'gravelly' feel.
I've found mine to be very smooth, if a bit tight when you first get it. It will loosen as time goes on, though. Though I don't do video (I had a 7d for a while and did video with this lens) on a regular basis, I would imagine that you'd like the feel.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #74
RaZe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamfist View Post
I've found mine to be very smooth, if a bit tight when you first get it. It will loosen as time goes on, though. Though I don't do video (I had a 7d for a while and did video with this lens) on a regular basis, I would imagine that you'd like the feel.
I can second that. If you haven't used MF lenses before you will be awed by the feel.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #75
Photostock

I've used tons of manual focus lenses, just ones that usually cost 8-12k a piece! Still photo lenses are a different story. Some have decent rings, some do not. Optically this lens looks like a winner, I just want to make sure, mechanically, it is as well. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and judge for myself!