Advice appreciated on air show pic

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 08 Jun 2005 (Wednesday) 15:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

rick ­ barclay
Joined Jan 2004
733 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The colors look a littled washed and it's a bit soft, I know. I would like to know how I can improve the picture quality. EXIF==shutter 1/250, f/18, ISO 250, lens 100-400mm, metering--spot. I've already run it through levels and sharpening in PS CS. Thanks for your suggestions.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://flashdaddee.com​/blue_angels_a.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Post #1, Jun 08, 2005 15:41:26

You are cordially invited...external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
rent
Joined Mar 2005
574 posts
Irvine, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

i would do f/8 at a higher shutter speed so motion blur can be minimized; this would probably allow you to shoot at iso100 as well so noise will come down too. probably not much you can do with the washed out sky due to smog or the environmental conditions. you might want to use Select/Color Range to isolate the sky and darken it a bit.

-alex

Post #2, Jun 08, 2005 16:13:57

http://portfolio.alexj​iang.comexternal link

rick ­ barclay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2004
733 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand about the higher shutter speed, but wouldn't downstopping to f/8 narrow the DOF and thus contribute to blur? Also, a faster shutter
would call for some exposure compensation, wouldn't it?

One of the problems I've encountered here is that the bright sky is preventing me from lightening the jets in PS, because that adjustment will blow out the sky. I need some kind of tutorial that would allow me to adjust the jets while leaving the sky alone.

Is spot metering appropriate for this type of speed shooting, or should I have done something else? Thanks again for your help.

Post #3, Jun 08, 2005 17:17:03 as a reply to rent's post 1 hour earlier.

Croasdail
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2005
6,590 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

Your probably way to far away to worry about the DOF being too narrow... there are some DOF calculators floating around and there should be a chart with your documentation too for you to validate this with... but after a certain distance - it is huge at most any f stop.

Post #4, Jun 08, 2005 17:51:57

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

rent
Joined Mar 2005
574 posts
Irvine, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

croasdail is right, you would have enough DOF @ f8 to cover critical parts of the planes at this kind of distance, of course, provided you are focused dead-on.

i usually use evaluative metering especially when the aircraft fills the scene. i think i'm just too clumsy to use spot metering because that requires making sure that little circle is pointed at the right place. this usually messes up composition and leads to not getting the shot at all for me.

try this for the sky problem: in PS, go to Select/Color Range. use the eye dropper to select the sky. this should select all the light blue area in the picture, you can then make it darker or bluer. it may take some practice but it's very doable. check out one of my pix for which i applied the same technique: http://www.mosaicreali​ty.com/pix/CRW_0706_da​rkersky.jpgexternal link (f8, 1/250, iso100, 300mm/f4 + 1.4x)

good luck!

-alex

Post #5, Jun 08, 2005 18:42:34

http://portfolio.alexj​iang.comexternal link

sponsored links
Hellashot
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
4,617 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

All you have to do is lighten the shadows - 47%, darken the highlights - 20%, and add midtown contrast - 11% and you'll end up with a much different looking image!

Post #6, Jun 08, 2005 20:23:37

5D, Drebel, EOS-3, K1000
lenses from 12mm-500mm

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,108 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

One of the problems I've encountered here is that the bright sky is preventing me from lightening the jets in PS, because that adjustment will blow out the sky. I need some kind of tutorial that would allow me to adjust the jets while leaving the sky alone.

You could shoot in RAW & there are tuts on "Post Processing" for that.

i usually use evaluative metering especially when the aircraft fills the scene. i think i'm just too clumsy to use spot metering because that requires making sure that little circle is pointed at the right place.

OTOH, the exposure for an aircraft on the ground is about the same as in the air. Try "M" next time, & shoot RAW.

Post #7, Jun 08, 2005 20:25:24

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

intechpcx
Joined Jan 2005
163 posts
Jackson, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

If you've got PS CS, I'd use curves to bump up the brightness of those planes (pull up at about the lower quarter and drop back to the standard line at about the 1/2 mark or a little above) and then up the saturation a little to make up for what you lose in the curves. Other than the slight blur, that photo looks like it should be pretty decent if you work it.

Post #8, Jun 09, 2005 09:51:09 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post 13 hours earlier.

Canon Digital Rebel 300D w/ BG-E1 Grip
EF-S 18-55mm Kit Lens
Canon 50mm f1.8
Sigma 70-200EX f/2.8 HSM APO
Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro
Sunpak 433D (Yes, I've made it work with my Rebel)

Visit my online portfolio at http://www.tonymiller.​comexternal link

rick ­ barclay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2004
733 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll give them all a try. I need to get more into PS. Just a note for PhotosGuy: I do always shoot in RAW.

Post #9, Jun 09, 2005 13:15:57 as a reply to intechpcx's post 3 hours earlier.

hauff
POTN Wildlife Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2005
737 posts
Redcliff, Alberta Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I have never had the opportunity to see these jets so I'm not sure of their exact color. I concentrated on the sky and smoke and let the blue and yellow sort of do it's own thing from there. I only had the jpg above to work with and I adjusted curves, saturation, contrast and then ran the pic through Noiseware to smooth it a bit.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www3.telus.net ...c/g0a00489/Untitled​-3.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Post #10, Jun 09, 2005 16:52:54 as a reply to rick barclay's post 3 hours earlier.

__Bryan__

:arrow: My pbase...external link

Hellashot
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
4,617 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

hauff wrote:
I have never had the opportunity to see these jets so I'm not sure of their exact color. I concentrated on the sky and smoke and let the blue and yellow sort of do it's own thing from there. I only had the jpg above to work with and I adjusted curves, saturation, contrast and then ran the pic through Noiseware to smooth it a bit.

The shadows can be lightened in your pic to make the planes look quite a bit better.

Post #11, Jun 09, 2005 19:16:33 as a reply to hauff's post 2 hours earlier.

5D, Drebel, EOS-3, K1000
lenses from 12mm-500mm

sponsored links
Matatazela
Joined May 2005
629 posts
Whangarei - New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

This may be totally off, and I appologise if it is, but shooting from the other side would put the bulk of the planes in bright sun, rather than in shadow.

This would make the sky "bluer" and the colours brighter, thus requiring less post processing.

I realise that airshows with tons of supersonic metal hurtling around are restricted, so it may have been impossible to move to a better spot!

Post #12, Jun 10, 2005 05:27:21 as a reply to Hellashot's post 10 hours earlier.

:lol:

Macsgrafs
Hatchling
Joined Jun 2005
4 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,108 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

..CRAP! Always over expose by 1 1/2 to 2 stops when shooting aircraft flying...

Think I'll put that in the "I learn something new every day" file. ;-)a

Post #14, Jun 12, 2005 12:34:58

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
Joined Feb 2005
21,313 posts
Buellton, California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Yup, PG, I'll try to remember that, too ... makes good sense.

Post #15, Jun 12, 2005 12:47:13

Dwight McCann
Websiteexternal link - Facebookexternal link
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio
How I Got Into This Businesshttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=13157388#post13​157388

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,827 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice appreciated on air show pic
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES