Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Critique Corner
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of June 2005 (Wed)   #1
rick barclay

Default Advice appreciated on air show pic

The colors look a littled washed and it's a bit soft, I know. I would like to know how I can improve the picture quality. EXIF==shutter 1/250, f/18, ISO 250, lens 100-400mm, metering--spot. I've already run it through levels and sharpening in PS CS. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by rick barclay : 8th of June 2005 (Wed) at 15:46.
rick barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2005 (Wed)   #2
rent

Default Re: Advice appreciated on air show pic

i would do f/8 at a higher shutter speed so motion blur can be minimized; this would probably allow you to shoot at iso100 as well so noise will come down too. probably not much you can do with the washed out sky due to smog or the environmental conditions. you might want to use Select/Color Range to isolate the sky and darken it a bit.

-alex
rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2005 (Wed)   #3
rick barclay

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand about the higher shutter speed, but wouldn't downstopping to f/8 narrow the DOF and thus contribute to blur? Also, a faster shutter
would call for some exposure compensation, wouldn't it?

One of the problems I've encountered here is that the bright sky is preventing me from lightening the jets in PS, because that adjustment will blow out the sky. I need some kind of tutorial that would allow me to adjust the jets while leaving the sky alone.

Is spot metering appropriate for this type of speed shooting, or should I have done something else? Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by rick barclay : 8th of June 2005 (Wed) at 17:21.
rick barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2005 (Wed)   #4
Croasdail
Cream of the Crop

Your probably way to far away to worry about the DOF being too narrow... there are some DOF calculators floating around and there should be a chart with your documentation too for you to validate this with... but after a certain distance - it is huge at most any f stop.
Croasdail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2005 (Wed)   #5
rent

croasdail is right, you would have enough DOF @ f8 to cover critical parts of the planes at this kind of distance, of course, provided you are focused dead-on.

i usually use evaluative metering especially when the aircraft fills the scene. i think i'm just too clumsy to use spot metering because that requires making sure that little circle is pointed at the right place. this usually messes up composition and leads to not getting the shot at all for me.

try this for the sky problem: in PS, go to Select/Color Range. use the eye dropper to select the sky. this should select all the light blue area in the picture, you can then make it darker or bluer. it may take some practice but it's very doable. check out one of my pix for which i applied the same technique: http://www.mosaicreality.com/pix/CRW_0706_darkersky.jpg (f8, 1/250, iso100, 300mm/f4 + 1.4x)

good luck!

-alex
rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2005 (Wed)   #6
Hellashot
User is banned from forums

All you have to do is lighten the shadows - 47%, darken the highlights - 20%, and add midtown contrast - 11% and you'll end up with a much different looking image!
Hellashot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2005 (Wed)   #7
PhotosGuy

Quote:
One of the problems I've encountered here is that the bright sky is preventing me from lightening the jets in PS, because that adjustment will blow out the sky. I need some kind of tutorial that would allow me to adjust the jets while leaving the sky alone.
You could shoot in RAW & there are tuts on "Post Processing" for that.
Quote:
i usually use evaluative metering especially when the aircraft fills the scene. i think i'm just too clumsy to use spot metering because that requires making sure that little circle is pointed at the right place.
OTOH, the exposure for an aircraft on the ground is about the same as in the air. Try "M" next time, & shoot RAW.

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2005 (Thu)   #8
intechpcx

If you've got PS CS, I'd use curves to bump up the brightness of those planes (pull up at about the lower quarter and drop back to the standard line at about the 1/2 mark or a little above) and then up the saturation a little to make up for what you lose in the curves. Other than the slight blur, that photo looks like it should be pretty decent if you work it.
Sigma 70-200EX f/2.8 HSM APO
Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro
Sunpak 433D (Yes, I've made it work with my Rebel)

Visit my online portfolio at http://www.tonymiller.com
intechpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2005 (Thu)   #9
rick barclay

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll give them all a try. I need to get more into PS. Just a note for PhotosGuy: I do always shoot in RAW.
Old 9th of June 2005 (Thu)   #10
hauff
POTN Wildlife Photographer 2005

I have never had the opportunity to see these jets so I'm not sure of their exact color. I concentrated on the sky and smoke and let the blue and yellow sort of do it's own thing from there. I only had the jpg above to work with and I adjusted curves, saturation, contrast and then ran the pic through Noiseware to smooth it a bit.

My pbase...
Old 9th of June 2005 (Thu)   #11
Hellashot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauff
I have never had the opportunity to see these jets so I'm not sure of their exact color. I concentrated on the sky and smoke and let the blue and yellow sort of do it's own thing from there. I only had the jpg above to work with and I adjusted curves, saturation, contrast and then ran the pic through Noiseware to smooth it a bit.
The shadows can be lightened in your pic to make the planes look quite a bit better.
Hellashot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of June 2005 (Fri)   #12
Matatazela

This may be totally off, and I appologise if it is, but shooting from the other side would put the bulk of the planes in bright sun, rather than in shadow.

This would make the sky "bluer" and the colours brighter, thus requiring less post processing.

I realise that airshows with tons of supersonic metal hurtling around are restricted, so it may have been impossible to move to a better spot!
Matatazela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of June 2005 (Sun)   #13
Macsgrafs

What a great capture apart from the obvious problems. If you don't mind me saying, ignore the info about the same exposure on the ground as in the air..CRAP! Always over expose by 1 1/2 to 2 stops when shooting aircraft flying, I know the sky blows out a bit, but it really makes the aircraft stand out, treat it similar to how you would shoot snow.
Macsgrafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of June 2005 (Sun)   #14
PhotosGuy

Quote:
..CRAP! Always over expose by 1 1/2 to 2 stops when shooting aircraft flying...
Think I'll put that in the "I learn something new every day" file.

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of June 2005 (Sun)   #15
DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?

Yup, PG, I'll try to remember that, too ... makes good sense.
DwightMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote