Thread started 17 Nov 2009 (Tuesday) 07:43   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Kingfisher_009
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jun 2009
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi everyone!

I'm a bird photographer and I'm thinking of buying the 7D, but I've heard that it's very soft, is that true?
I've seen somewhere that the 7D is softer than the XSI (450D) and much softer than the 50D or any other of Canon's new DSLR cameras.
Is it still a good choice instead of the 50D or something? Now I have the XSI (450D)

Sander Broström

http://www.regulusphot​o.com/external link

Post #1, Nov 17, 2009 07:43:24

Sander Broström, Sweden
Canon Eos 7D, Canon Eos 450D, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L USM

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Rai33
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
1,827 posts
Sydney
[MORE/SHARE]

no and yes

!

Post #2, Nov 17, 2009 07:48:47

Portfolio - Fashion/Beautyexternal link
Portfolio - Kidsexternal link
Model Mayhemexternal link
Flickrexternal link

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
10,711 posts
Traryd, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

I think I know which tests you are referring to.

I've read these tests, and found that they tested two things.

1. If you stop down a lens a lot, does then the 7D, which has an 18 Megapixel sensor, have a better ability to detect diffraction than cameras with lower resolution?
Not too surprising, the answer was yes.

2. If you take photos with the 18 Megapixel 7D and compare them with photos taken with cameras with lower resolution, but you don't take any advantage of the fact that the high resolution images produced by the 7D does allow for more sharpening than the others, does the 7D then seem to produce soft images?

To be a bit more realistic/fair than these testers were, I'll add that when you sharpen the images from the 7D, you also sharpen the noise, which more or less negates the resolution advantage, at least at lower ISO.

Post #3, Nov 17, 2009 07:58:59 as a reply to Rai33's post 10 minutes earlier.

Anders

Waldemar ­ Sikorski
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
2,725 posts
S̶o̶.̶ ̶C̶a̶l̶.̶ Poland (gates of hell).
[MORE/SHARE]

http://www.fredmiranda​.com .../topic/809801/136#7​765183external link

Post #4, Nov 17, 2009 08:05:50

Val.
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/sikorskienatorexternal link
Picasa albums organized by bird species.external link
7D gripped, 40D gripped....100-400L Yes, it's taken with the Sigma 150-500.

Kingfisher_009
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jun 2009
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

apersson850 wrote in post #9029786external link
I think I know which tests you are referring to.

I've read these tests, and found that they tested two things.

1. If you stop down a lens a lot, does then the 7D, which has an 18 Megapixel sensor, have a better ability to detect diffraction than cameras with lower resolution?

2. If you take photos with the 18 Megapixel 7D and compare them with photos taken with cameras with lower resolution, but you don't take any advantage of the fact that the high resolution images produced by the 7D does allow for more sharpening than the others, does the 7D then seem to produce soft images?

To be a bit more realistic/fair than these testers were, I'll add that when you sharpen the images from the 7D, you also sharpen the noise, which more or less negates the resolution advantage, at least at lower ISO.

--This is in Swedish--

Hej Anders, jag är också svensk!
Jag är 13 år så jag förstår inte helt vad du menar...sorry... :D
Så 7D som har fler megapixlar klarar "grövre" skärpning, alltså att den blir den skarpare än till exempel 450D i slutet?

Post #5, Nov 17, 2009 08:18:16

Sander Broström, Sweden
Canon Eos 7D, Canon Eos 450D, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L USM

sponsored links
luigis
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 posts
Buenos Aires, Argentina
[MORE/SHARE]

The early tests show the 7D is more sensible to diffraction that the XXD series. The effect of diffraction can be noticed fro F8 and above.
For birds you usually want to shoot wide open since what you lose in terms of sharpness is greatly compensated by the faster shutter speed you can use. In action shots stepping down the lens is not better than using it wide open at a faster speed.
So having said that we can conclude that the 7D is a superb camera for action shots and not very suitable for landscape work.

Post #6, Nov 17, 2009 09:09:10

www.luisargerich.comexternal link
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitterexternal link
My Awesome Gear List

Kingfisher_009
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jun 2009
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

OK. Thank you everyone, there's no doubt the 7D is best for me! (If you think about the price)

Post #7, Nov 17, 2009 09:15:33 as a reply to luigis's post 6 minutes earlier.

Sander Broström, Sweden

gabebalazs
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
6,902 posts
Toledo, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

I think it's the best crop sensor camera for bird photographers.
Regarding the "softness" issue, some of the above posts explained it nicely, and there is also 3-4 other threads here on forum running currently discussing this (non-)issue. DPreview, Imaging-resource, and Digital Picture, all very recognized review sites, rave about the camera and there you can find proof that the 7D has the highest resolution of the APS-C cameras. I am an anal pixel peeper but I don't get fooled by the "oh, the 40D (or the XSi, XS, XT, etc.) seems sharper at 100%. There are a lot of good explanations for this phenomenon which explain that there is a difference between sharpness and resolving power. Just because an image loks sharper at 100% it does not necessarily mean that it resolves more detail than a less sharp but higher res sensor. If that was true would that make my XT a better camera than my 7D??? I mean the images from my XT may be a bit sharper at 100% than my 7D. However, it's all about how much detail an image contains. Even if an image is sharper at 100% it doesn't necessarily show more detail than another that looks a bit softer but everything in the picture is twice as big and more detailed.
Believe me the 7D resolves the most detail and is a great camera. Like I said if you're interested in this "softness" stuff check out some of the other threads, where it is clearly explained what's going on and why this is a non-issue.

Post #8, Nov 17, 2009 09:23:04

5DIII | 5Dc | 70D | Ʃ 70-200 2.8 OS | 120-300 2.8 OS | 18-250 OS | Canon 24-70 2.8L II | 24-105 f/4L | 17-40 f4L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | EF-S 10-18 | 18-135 IS STM | Rokinon 14 2.8 | Sigma 1.4x & 2x | Canon 600EX-RT
Gabe Balazs Photoexternal link
Nature Shots Portfolioexternal link

stsva
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2009
5,942 posts
Northern Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

The Digital Picture's very favorable review http://the-digital-picture.com ...al-SLR-Camera-Review.aspxexternal link points out that the 7D may require more post processing sharpening than some other Canon cameras. This is not a problem or issue, just a matter of learning the appropriate processing requirements for the camera. A lot of the talk about the 7D being "soft" may be attributable to people looking at improperly post-processed images.

Post #9, Nov 17, 2009 09:43:45

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profileexternal link
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club http://photography-on-the.net ...=744235&highlight=h​amsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Steve-R
Joined Sep 2007
239 posts
Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

luigis wrote in post #9030087external link
The early tests show the 7D is more sensible to diffraction that the XXD series. The effect of diffraction can be noticed fro F8 and above.
For birds you usually want to shoot wide open since what you lose in terms of sharpness is greatly compensated by the faster shutter speed you can use. In action shots stepping down the lens is not better than using it wide open at a faster speed.
So having said that we can conclude that the 7D is a superb camera for action shots and not very suitable for landscape work.

This is silly. Cameras do not cause diffraction. The effects of diffraction are solely a function of the lens aperture.

If you compare images at 100% from a 7D and another camera with lower pixel density, taken with identical settings, then the 7D image may appear softer only because you are looking at the image at a greater magnification. An image from the 7D will always have more detail than a similar image from a lower pixel density camera (at any f-stop).

Post #10, Nov 17, 2009 17:38:53

Steve

Canon 70D,
10-22, 28-105, 70-300 f/4-5.6, 100 f/2.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tokina 10-17 Fisheye, Tokina 35 f/2.8

mrkgoo
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
2,288 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Kingfisher_009 wrote in post #9029727external link
Hi everyone!

I'm a bird photographer and I'm thinking of buying the 7D, but I've heard that it's very soft, is that true?
I've seen somewhere that the 7D is softer than the XSI (450D) and much softer than the 50D or any other of Canon's new DSLR cameras.
Is it still a good choice instead of the 50D or something? Now I have the XSI (450D)

Sander Broström

The 7D has a magnesium alloy frame that is pretty tough. The only soft warts are the rubberised grips. Even then, the Rebel bodies are made of a pretty tough polycarbonate.

Post #11, Nov 17, 2009 17:52:41

sponsored links
luigis
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 posts
Buenos Aires, Argentina
[MORE/SHARE]

Is not silly. The sensor has a fixed resolving power and the same for the lens, in cameras where the lens outresolves the sensor by a great margin difraction is less noticeable. In the 7D the effect is more noticeable.

In other words: what you say is not true.

Steve-R wrote in post #9032967external link
This is silly. Cameras do not cause diffraction. The effects of diffraction are solely a function of the lens aperture.

If you compare images at 100% from a 7D and another camera with lower pixel density, taken with identical settings, then the 7D image may appear softer only because you are looking at the image at a greater magnification. An image from the 7D will always have more detail than a similar image from a lower pixel density camera (at any f-stop).

Post #12, Nov 17, 2009 18:01:55

www.luisargerich.comexternal link
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitterexternal link
My Awesome Gear List

Sakura1234
Joined Aug 2009
134 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

luigis wrote in post #9033119external link
Is not silly. The sensor has a fixed resolving power and the same for the lens, in cameras where the lens outresolves the sensor by a great margin difraction is less noticeable. In the 7D the effect is more noticeable.

In other words: what you say is not true.

Do you even know what diffraction limitation is?

Just because an 18mp crop sensor is affected by diffraction limitation at F8, it doesn't mean a 6mp crop sensor is going to deliver more detail (at F8).

Let me take a guess. The suitable camera for landscape work is a 10mp camera for a crop. :rolleyes: Any more MP, the picture starts getting blurry. Seriously....

Post #13, Nov 17, 2009 19:55:27

gabebalazs
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
6,902 posts
Toledo, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

Then why is it that the 7D still out resolves the XSi (12mp) even at f16 (an aperture good for landscapes)? You can compare them at digital-picture.com
It also outresolves my 40D even at f16...
Nevertheless, I agree that the 7D is not primarily a landscape camera.

Post #14, Nov 17, 2009 20:03:49

5DIII | 5Dc | 70D | Ʃ 70-200 2.8 OS | 120-300 2.8 OS | 18-250 OS | Canon 24-70 2.8L II | 24-105 f/4L | 17-40 f4L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | EF-S 10-18 | 18-135 IS STM | Rokinon 14 2.8 | Sigma 1.4x & 2x | Canon 600EX-RT
Gabe Balazs Photoexternal link
Nature Shots Portfolioexternal link

selorme
Joined Sep 2007
23 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

luigis wrote in post #9030087external link
T

Have you tried printing landscapes from 7D files? They are superb. Half of my photography is landscape and I can't complain about the results I get. I used to think the 40D was good ( and it is ) but there is no comparison.

I sold 3 A3 prints from the 7D today and this is just my hobby. The people who bought them were blown away by the detail.

Sel .......

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/selsphotos/external link

Post #15, Nov 17, 2009 20:33:25

Sel ...........
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/selsphotos/external link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
7,944 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Eos 7D --- Soft?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES