FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 11 Feb 2003 (Tuesday) 22:46   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ryu0328
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2003
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Have any of you guys replace the LCD screen at Canon Factory service?
I thought there was a cover on the actual LCD screen, but the customer service told me that I have to change the whole LCD screen.. Is this info. correct?

BTW, I have s30, and I made way too many scratches on the LCD (or LCD cover?), not fixable.

If someone had replaced the LCD or LCD cover before, please tell me how long it took, how much it was, and if there was more problem after the replacement????

Thank you.

Post #1, Feb 11, 2003 22:46:30

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
boyle
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2003
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey,
I broke the LCD screen on my A40 last fall. I called up Canon customer service here in Canada and they faxed me a parts diagram so that I could verify which part I needed. My LCD screen broke, not the cover, so I had to replace that. The camera was pretty easy to take apart, and it was really obvious what to replace once I had it apart.

As for the actual replacement... I had a bit of difficulty getting the new screen plugged in, but that was only because it was a tight spot. Alll together I'd say that it didn't take me much more than a 1/2 hour once I had the new screen.

As for cost, it was about $160 CDN (about $110 US) to replace, including shipping.

I was really impressed with the service I got, and as a result will likely get another Canon when I upgrade.

Post #2, Mar 18, 2003 10:04:26

oo7girl1
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2003
9 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi,

I just bought my Powershot S400 2 weeks ago.
Due to unfortunate placement of a marble coffe table, the PS was unable to avoid the collision with it's LCD screen. (insert sickening sensation here)
Is there an aftermarket site for a replacement LCD (Sony AM313EKA), or will I need to order one from Cannon (USA)? I would rather replace it myself to avoid being without my baby (everything else still works).

I would also appreciate any tips on the replacement process. Good grief these screws are tiny!

Thanks for any help!
-Julie

Post #3, Apr 24, 2003 22:48:16

oo7girl1
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2003
9 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I know i'm posting to an old thread, but it's the only one i found that applies.
As for my previous post, i spoke too soon.
I called Cannon customer service at 1-800-652-2666, and they gave me the number to the New Jersey parts center, 732-521-7230. Their automated answering system has a nifty option if you don't have a part number - just give 'em your camera model and the part you want.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that my new LCD would cost $33.20 (US) plus $5 shipping. YAY!
I would still appreciate any help in dismantling and re-assembly.

Post #4, Apr 26, 2003 22:51:52

jonbird
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2003
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

oo7girl1 wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised to find that my new LCD would cost $33.20 (US) plus $5 shipping. YAY!
I would still appreciate any help in dismantling and re-assembly.

I also have a broken screen on my S400. My camera was only 2 days old! Thanks for your tip about the parts center. I ordered a replacement screen but they say it is backordered with availability Sept 18. This means I have some time to work up the courage to dismantle the camera.

I considered sending it in to Canon for repair but they would not tell me how much it would cost.

If you managed to successfully replace your screen I would love to hear how the operation went.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Post #5, Aug 25, 2003 23:05:56

sponsored links
afroengineer
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2003
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I have successfully changed my LCD Screen on my PowerShot S400! With the help of this forum, I learned of the Canon Parts Center and phone number (732-521-7230). I couldn’t believe the price of $33.02 plus $5.00 s/h. (LCD screen part number WG2-5243-000…they don’t use the numbers printed on the screen itself) They sent it from NJ to CA in about a week. I was very reluctant to even take on such a project as replacing the LCD, but after researching locally for repair options, and getting a range of $230 to $300 to fix a $499 S400, I said “what the heckâ€. I would rather buy a brand new camera, than fix one for over half the price. (One local store said the LCD screen alone cost $195…what a con / rip). I must admit, I did first take apart the camera initially to see what was inside and if it would be way over my head (before even learning of the Canon Part Center).

Here is what you need:

First, make an investment in a GOOD set of precision screwdrivers (sandblasted tips for a good grip). I went out and bought a 12-piece set of Sears Craftsman Micro-Tech Precision Screwdrivers ($19.99) … you only need one of the Phillip’s head and one of the slotted, but I will probably need the rest at some time, plus the set has a lifetime warranty. Sears sells smaller sets or individual screwdrivers.

I used a 10X eye-loupe (magnify glass) to see the details of how the parts were put together. I wore medical latex gloves.

First remove all of the outer screws, KEEP TRACK OF WHAT SCREWS GO WHERE, THEY ARE DIFFERENT LENGTHS!!! The outer case / covers comes apart in two pieces surprisingly easily, and the knobs, buttons, switches, etc. stay intact in the outer cases. The hardest part is “prying†the old LCD Screen out of the frame / holder. I would strongly recommend buying the new LCD Screen first, so you know what is being replaced and what is the frame that the screen snaps in to versus what is the LCD screen. Use a small slotted screwdriver to “pop†out the screen from the holder. Pry / twist the screwdriver from between the LCD and the back area behind the LCD. Work around the two ends of the LCD (short sides). If you use the magnify glass, you can see small dimples of metal that press against the LCD to hold it in place under pressure.

Remove the bottom metal plate (one screw next to the tripod hole)….wiggle this plate free…a part of this plate slides under the battery door hinge area.

Remove the screw under the flash to release the copper / plastic shield covering the entire PC board in order to get to the connector. Unplug the flexible connector from the PC board…carefully just pull it out. When you pull out the flexible connector, it causes a clip to pop up, releasing the connector. Don’t worry, this “clip†is hinged and will not fly out. It is a little tricky putting the new connector back in. It does not just plug in. Slide the connector in the slot, and then push down on the hinged clip to push down and hold the connector…it will click closed.

Snap the new LCD Screen part into the holder (after you completed the connector part above.

Replace the bottom metal plate, smashing / forming the flexible connector under the plate. Screw back the copper / plastic sheet.

Re-assemble the covers, compact flash door, etc. Be careful of the spring that the compact flash door uses. One of the great things about working with a precision piece of equipment such as the Canon S400, is that it goes back together exactly as it was taken apart, if it doesn’t, you haven’t aligned / done something right…don’t force anything.

Disclaimer: I think I have listed the most important steps. Some of the instructions may not make any sense until you open up the camera to see the parts I am talking about. These steps were successful in repairing my camera, but I knew that only the LCD screen was damaged, and nothing else. I am somewhat mechanically inclined. You need a steady hand (drug addicts should not attempt this repair). If you can change a battery in a watch, you should be able to do this. Take your time; get a clean work area with good lighting. It took about an hour to do this job….less time than writing this letter.

I was motivated to write this letter to “give back to Societyâ€. After being lied to and almost ripped off by the camera repair shops, I felt a civic duty. Here is some advice that is absolutely priceless. This whole broken LCD disaster could have been avoided for 59 cents. I had a $20 soft nylon case for the camera. I LOVE this camera because of the small size and excellent quality. My philosophy in making any purchase (no matter the price), is that it has to be used. Big and bulky cameras are too inconvenient to dash around with. I broke my camera because I forgot it was in my pocket and slammed my car door against it (I know…how stupid). A very good and knowledgeable sales guy warned me about that….people forget they have it in their pocket and run into things. For 59 cents, go to Target, buy a hard plastic soap box, used to traveling (they come in some puke colors). The S400 fits PERFECTLY in it. Cut a little slot for the hand strap to come out of and you are good to go. The saddest part of this story is that I purchased a second new S400 right after I broke the first one…then repaired the broken one. Now I have two perfectly functioning S400’s.

Good luck.

Post #6, Sep 28, 2003 22:24:18

jonbird
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2003
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Afro,
Your instructions arrived late to assist me with my disassembly but I had much the same experience you describe (without the latex gloves). The care you took in describing the procedure is going to save others huge money and aggravation. Nothing takes the fun out of nice toys like the sick feeling when they are damaged, made worse when you are extorted by repair people. (My Dad was hit with a $600 charge to replace the LCD in a Sony DV camera). It is great that Canon will sell parts to consumers and not try to take advantage of them. Thanks Canon, I will remember. Also thanks to Afro for the Target soap box tip. I wanted to buy a hard case for this camera but I could not find one for sale!

Jon

Post #7, Sep 28, 2003 23:33:47

oo7girl1
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2003
9 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorry everyone for not getting back to this thread. (there were no reply posts for quite a while)
I thought I would add another step to Afro's instructions. In reference to the original post (ryu's scratched LCD): I bought a packet of Palm Pilot screen protectors. before I installed my new LCD, I cut one to fit & CAREFULLY stuck it to my new screen. Installing it before re-assembly makes for professional looking protection. Please don't push too hard on the Liquid Crystal Display.
P.S. I keep thinking it would have been good idea to take photos of the replacement process......and maybe I could turn on the TV to see why the power's out. ;)
-Julie

Post #8, Oct 04, 2003 22:19:22

ksk7
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2003
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

This is great information! I also have a cracked LCD panel on my 4 month old A70. I have been getting quotes from local camera repair shops and these have been between $140-$195 CAD ($100-$135 USD) . Since I spoke to Canon Parts Canada and know the LCD Panel is available for $44 + $6 shipping (I now know that labour costs are therefore excessive) I have been thinking about doing the replacement myself. The rest of the camera functionality is still fine so I'm not worried about additional problems. I'm glad to read about "afroengineer's" success and am now ready to take the plunge myself. I will try to take pics during the replacement with a friend's S200...

Anyone know of specific A70 issues that might complicate the LCD Panel replacement process???

Thank you.

Post #9, Oct 15, 2003 16:29:52

Rany
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2003
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Afroengineer, thanks for your post! It was most helpful. If it makes you feel better I did exactly the same thing... I SLAMMED my camera in my car door. I though I was the only one who could do that. :)

I have sinced purchased the LCD screen for the S230 ($66.86 US) and will be replacing it. I plan to take step by step photographs. I will post them as soon as I complete the repairs.

Thanks for your help!

Post #10, Oct 27, 2003 16:36:05

gclaeys
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2003
8 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello,

I've just broken the LCD of my S400...
It would like to replace it by myself but the problem is that I'm living in Belgium (Europe) and that Canon-Europe does not have a Parts Center...
Is Canon-Usa shipping to Europe ? Is there a shop or a web site where I can order it ?
For those who have to replace any parts of their Canon, you can find good info (all parts number, drawings, ...) on the following web site http://www.micro-tools.com/pdf/Canon/in​dex.htmlexternal link

Thanks for your help,
Regards

Post #11, Oct 28, 2003 11:24:36

sponsored links
gclaeys
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2003
8 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

ksk7 wrote:
This is great information! I also have a cracked LCD panel on my 4 month old A70. I have been getting quotes from local camera repair shops and these have been between $140-$195 CAD ($100-$135 USD) . Since I spoke to Canon Parts Canada and know the LCD Panel is available for $44 + $6 shipping (I now know that labour costs are therefore excessive) I have been thinking about doing the replacement myself. The rest of the camera functionality is still fine so I'm not worried about additional problems. I'm glad to read about "afroengineer's" success and am now ready to take the plunge myself. I will try to take pics during the replacement with a friend's S200...

Anyone know of specific A70 issues that might complicate the LCD Panel replacement process???

Thank you.

For usefull info on your A70, have a look at http://www.micro-tools.com ...erShot%20A60%20%20A​70.PDFexternal link

Post #12, Oct 28, 2003 11:28:47

stopbath
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2003
1,537 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Tempting to buy the A70 service manual on CD to get the adjustment software and really screw up the camera! :)

Post #13, Oct 28, 2003 11:50:59

Alfy
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2003
9 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

LCD not broken, but Not working

Hi,
I dropped my camera today, I JUST BOUGHT IT!
anyway, the camera's still taking pictures fine, and everything seems to work the same except the LCD, the LCD isnt working! if i look at it from a weird angle i can make some stuff out, BARELY.
anyway, its an s230, the LCD is not cracked, and i can hear something rattling around the inside when i shake the camera.
Does anyone know how much it would cost to repair this camera? does the warranty cover it? Should i tell them i dropped it?

Ali

Post #14, Nov 01, 2003 02:13:32

greendiver9
Hatchling
Joined Nov 2003
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

OOOH and AHHHH!!

I just replaced the lcd screen in my s400 (works puuurrrfectly). I so much appreciate afroengineers' approach and just being able to find out where to get the part, etc. I feel blessed to live in a time that information gets around and people like you share so generously.

THANK YOU.

Gdiver

Post #15, Nov 02, 2003 17:49:25

LIST NEARBY THREADS
219,521 views & 0 likes for this thread
LCD screen replacement??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES