Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 11 Feb 2003 (Tuesday) 22:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LCD screen replacement??

cooncatbob
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Nov 04, 2008 19:12 |  #136

I have a SD400 with a cracked screen.
Otherwise the camera works except for a dead patch in the lower left hand corner.
After reading through this topic and Andy Ozments page on LCD replacement I decided to open my camera up and take a look before I ordered the replacement LCD screen.
I got the camera opened okay and removed the screw in the upper right holding the screen on when I lifted the screen a ribbon cable on the right side came unplugged and I can't get it back in or can I find any information in this topic concerning it.
I'm posting a picture, any advise would be appreciated.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3025/3004361030_3d18e9afe9.jpg

sponsored links
rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Nov 04, 2008 19:26 |  #137

The ribbon cable connectors usually have a lock lever that holds the cable in place.
If it is locked, removing or inserting the cable is hard and dangerous for the cable.
I can not see the connector lever on the small picture, check the detail on the link below it may help.

http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=5101852&postc​ount=4

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

cooncatbob
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Nov 04, 2008 20:18 |  #138

Thanks there was a lever on top of the plug.
I had to separate the back light from the LCD to get the plug back in and locked.The only problem is when I snap the LCD back in it comes unplugged and I can plug it in with the LCD installed.
Well I got it back together and it works but now the LCD is dead all along the crack on the left side of the screen not just the corner.

rpolitsr wrote in post #6624918external link
The ribbon cable connectors usually have a lock lever that holds the cable in place.
If it is locked, removing or inserting the cable is hard and dangerous for the cable.
I can not see the connector lever on the small picture, check the detail on the link below it may help.

http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=5101852&postc​ount=4

mega_biscoito
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2008
Dec 09, 2008 08:47 as a reply to cooncatbob's post |  #139

I just broke up my ixus 700. Right now don't know what to do. I live in Portugal and don't know the best option. I can buy the LCD from ebay, but i am affraind of making the substitution since I haven't seen here images of the substitution of this machine. Is the substitution more similiar that the S400 or the 800/900 models. Does anyone fixed a camera like the mine, and does anyone have photos and instructions of how to do that. I also can't get the microtools pdf and I can find it.
The other option would be buy an Ixus 960IS for 285 Euros.
Any sugestion?

vivah
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2008
Dec 26, 2008 13:00 |  #140

IMAGE: http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll286/vijayc8/1.jpg

IMAGE: http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll286/vijayc8/2-1.jpg

hello, I am from Canada, I got a gift(while back) of Cannon SD770 IS, the lcd is damaged, it has got funny colors cant read any stuff. I have to replace the LCD to check.
I read few post in the beginning about replacing instructions, does that apply to this model too?

Since I am from Canada, how to order LCD and from where` ?

any help is much appreciated,
Thanks
VJ

mctc
21 posts
Joined May 2007
Jul 26, 2009 21:27 |  #141

HI there. I would recommend checking out amazon or ebay for the part. just make sure that the seller has good feedback. I have never seen the inside of the sd770 but it seems likely that you would be able to figure it out even if it is not exactly the same.

boondocker
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Nova Scotia
Sep 07, 2009 07:02 |  #142

Hey all. I need to find some info on replacing the LCD on my S31S. Haven't found much online as far as parts and How To's go but this seems the place to ask.

Sorry to revive an old thread. :)

Kenneth ­ Montreuil
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2009
IDAHO
Dec 04, 2010 23:54 as a reply to boondocker's post |  #143

I just today replaced my lcd screen on my canon sd-500 camera. After 3 times taking it apart and putting it back together, I got it right and it works great. I really got good at doing it by the 3rd time. I also took step by step pictures thinking that if I didn't fix it at least I might be able to help someone else avoid some of the problems I had. First off I got a new LCD from http://myworld.ebay.co​m/procamerarepair/external link This was on E-Bay and they have alot of different screens. Cost was $38.00 plus $4.00 shipping. There are many other places to get the part from what other people have posted. I did question why the part they were selling said "Sony" at the bottom. I was told that it came from Canon but was made by Sony. Sure enough the one on the camera also said Sony.
After the 3rd. time taking the camera apart I can do the complete job in about 25 min. I also discovered a couple shortcuts that make pushing in that ribbon cable a snap. Since only a hand full of people will want to know about the SD500 E-mail me and I will send you pictures and what to do beyond what others have already said.
dmsam@roadrunner.com

Ken

rxflyfisher
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2010
Westminster, Maryland, USA
Dec 14, 2010 17:24 |  #144

Here are some suggestions for replacing the LCD on your small digital Canon P&S. First, try to get another camera of the same model on ebay - one that has a good LCD but perhaps has a stuck lens or something worse. What you will do is learn what it takes to take one apart with the spare camera, and you will have spare screws in case you lose one. I suggest taking photos of each step, if you have another working camera. Remove the good LCD/backlight and then proceed to take your good (except the LCD) camera apart and replace the broken LCD. Be careful and check out cautions about flash capacitors. Depending on the model, you may need to pick up a Radio Shack (or similar) analog multimeter to use in discharging the capacitor. Make sure you remove the batteries before taking any camera apart. I replaced the LCD on my A520 with a dead camera that cost me less than $10 on ebay. It was really simple to remove and replace the LCD - the biggest problem is keeping track of which screws go where. I am sure you can develop a system to manage the screws, like using an eggcrate or labeling a piece of paper and putting the screws on double sided tape. Good luck.

ruma204
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2011
Oct 04, 2011 15:35 |  #145

Hi,
I dropped my Canon powershot SX120 IS and broke the lcd screen. Need to replace it on my own.
Need help -
1. Is fixed plastic screen (attached to camera body) above the actual LCD comes along with new lcd package? because I broke that plastic fixed screen into pieces and LCD is cracked.
2. Do I need to buy it separately? How and where do I buy it?

Please see attached images for reference.

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Ruma

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

243,850 views & 0 likes for this thread
LCD screen replacement??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.