Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 11 Feb 2003 (Tuesday) 22:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LCD screen replacement??

Rany
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Nov 02, 2003 22:39 |  #16

It was very easy to replace the s230 screen. I actually have pictures that I tried to paste in the forum but was unable to get the pictures up because It does not have that feature. The case is very easy to get off, just unscrew. make sure you note which screw goes into which hole beacuse they are different sizes and lengths. I just labeled them and put them in a petri dish. There is a loose piece of metal that will fall out when you take the case apart. Just note where it goes so that you can put it back when reassembling it. You will need to unscrew some componets and then You just need a small flat head screw driver to pop the LCD screen out. Pull on the connection strip. Replace the new screen connector into the slot and push the LCD screen back in place. It was simple. The heardest part was holding the screws in your hand because they are so small. My camera is functioning fine and is just like new. Oh - one word of advice. Make sure that the switch for camera mode/viewing mode is in the same position as the switch on the case of the camera before you finsh putting the screws in. You will not be able to move the tab between cameramode/viewing mode if you do it wrong. Good luck. I'll try to get pictures up if I can via http website.

sponsored links
Alfy
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Nov 02, 2003 22:53 |  #17

Hi,
A friend of mine who has the SD100 told me he hears the rattling sound as well (sounds like a spring) so i figure that must have always been there.
My Camera is very dark, extremely dark, i can barely see the picture if i tilt it at the right angle
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT PARTS TO ORDER?
everything but the LCD work just as they did before...
please help, i wanna get my camera working again.
also does anyone else hear a rattling sound in the s230?? its a minute sound like a spring.

Rany
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Nov 02, 2003 23:05 |  #18

I would take it apart first. And see what is broken. When you call the service and parts number you can tell them what model and describe the part to them. They can help you identifiy what part to order. They have diagrams of the camera and all the parts (engineering drwaings, which they won't release, I asked).

Alfy
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Nov 02, 2003 23:18 |  #19

Void Warranty

Will openning the camera up myself void the warranty? (can they find out) and also, what if its just the backlight thats ****, how do i know if its not that? what exactly will be broken if its the LCD? sorry about all the questions, im a retard, jsut got my camera :(
thanks guys!

gclaeys
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Nov 04, 2003 09:37 |  #20

I've just replaced the LCD of my S400 thanks to afroengineer's explanations and the very usefull drawings that you can found on micro-tools web site (http://www.micro-tools.com/pdf/Canon/in​dex.htmlexternal link).
I still have one LCD left. Feel free to contact me if you're interested as Canon parts are not orderable in Europe (IXUS 400 and Powershot S400 are the same models).

gclaeys
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Nov 04, 2003 09:39 |  #21

Does anybody knows where I can find a plastic cover to protect the LCD ?
Thanks

stduc
301 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Nov 04, 2003 10:22 |  #22

I just got a pack of the ones used for PDA's and trimmed it down to size. I got three sheets for about 3 quid and I can get 4 LCD screen covers per sheet. So far I have used half of one sheet. The first cover I made soon curled off, but the second one I did better and so far its lasted a month with no signs of wear. I got them from Jessops, but many places do them.

gclaeys
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Nov 04, 2003 10:51 |  #23

Hello, thanks for the info. You spoke about the "LCD screen protectors"? Is that Microthin clear plastic film ?
I'm looking for something more solid that can protect my LCD from shock. Any idea ?

gclaeys
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Nov 04, 2003 14:19 |  #24

Daproducts is doing LCD protectors for any model of digital camera.

Here is the info that I've received from them:

For the Canon S400 we can customize a 'da Micro II Protector by trimming one corner. There is no extra charge for the customization. To order, place an order for the 'da Micro II Protector at http://www.daproducts.​comexternal link and in the shopping cart's special shipping instructions field state that the protector needs to be customized for the Canon S400.

All of our protectors are $6 (US) plus a $2 (US) flat fee for shipping and handling. The protectors attach with pre-applied adhesive and can be safely removed by following the removal instructions included with the protector. The protector is 1/16" hard acrylic, the attached image is a "virtual fit" using graphics software. It will give you an idea of how the protector looks on the camera.

macdaddy
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Nov 05, 2003 13:00 |  #25

I am totally bummed. I read all the fantsatic info about replacing LCD screens and the great prices available from the Canon factory supply and thought I had struck gold as I was in need of a fix after I broke the number one rule of owning anything worth having; I lent my S40 to a relative.

it came back with the LCD broken. no sweat, I am good with tools and have great info to use. all I need is the part.
$150 (US) later, I have the replacement screen. S30-S50 series are NOT one of the cheaper parts. after carefully dis-assembling my S40, I was able to replace the LCD but not without a little trouble. it is extremely dificult to get at, but when all was said and done, I had no spare parts left over and everything mechanical operated smoothly. unfortunately, I must have touched something that shouldn't have been touched as my camera is completely dead. I switched batteries, used an A/C adapter; nothing.
simple word of caution when attempting to self serve S30-50 series. don't.
I used all precision tools, gloves, and patience. I am not a novice when it comes to working on electronics, but I certainly have a new respect for TRAINED techs.
so, anyone else have anything similiar happen?

stopbath
Goldmember
1,537 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Nov 05, 2003 13:59 |  #26

Macdaddy:

Sorry to hear your misadventures.

Some cameras have a cover switch, so that when the cover is off, the camera will not power up unless that switch is overridden. Perhaps, if there is one, it is stuck in the off position or not making good contact. (I have yet to open a Canon, so I don't know.)

Did you do this repair with the manual as a guide?

Perhaps Canon could help you diagnoze the problem. If you did blow a circuit or chip, hopefully it's not too expensive!

Good luck.

macdaddy
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Nov 05, 2003 16:04 |  #27

STOPBATH:
thanks for the post. negative, as far as using a manual for the repair. I wouldn't have a clue where to acquire one.
as far as having Canon clean up my mess, I just don't think it is cost effective. just to ship them the camera and diagnos the broken LCD screen would have been in excess of $100, and it was extremely obvious that the LCD was the original problem. add the cost of the replacement screen and any labor charges in additon to the diagnostic fee and we are rapidly approaching the replacement cost of the unit.

now that I have been inside the camera myself, it can only be assumed that the fees would be exponentially higher. I actually went back inside (several times) hoping to find a "magic" switch in the off position, or an unplugged cord, cracked board, loose contact point, ect.. but it seems beyond my skills.

if I had a local shop (Florida) that could handle the repairs, I might be willing to give it a shot, but I doubt it for previously stated reasons.

from what I have read in the forum, the consumers are not very confident in Canon service repair which is why I attemped this repair myself.

thanks again for the reply, and I will search specifically for the switch you mentioned as well as placing a post on the general forum.

lorax572
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Nov 06, 2003 19:21 |  #28

I called the parts center, cause I acquires an S30 powershot with a bad lcd, at least I think that's what is wrong! When I power it up there are a few green and red lines in the screen (very thin) and then the Back light overpowers it and turns the whole screen white. I've taken it apart and put it back together without a problem. Battery is dying on it and I don't have the charger.

My question is, is it worth the 130 dollars plus to replace the LCD (granted that's what it is) or should i just chuck it (it was given to me no cost) or should i send it to the service center and bite the bullet?

any and all input appriciated

K

macdaddy
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Nov 06, 2003 20:18 |  #29

Lorax572,
I'm probably not the best person to reply to this dilema, but i will put in my $.02 worth anyway.

The S30 is a fine camera. Even though it is only a 3MP, the features that it offer would make it worth fixing. Unfortunately when attempting repair on my S40, I managed to "kill" the camera. I did the same repairs as many others on this forum, but the cost of the LCD made it a riskier option that did not pan out for me.
I still feel that it was easy enough to actually replace the LCD screen, although not at the cost of ruining the camera.

Initially I was against sending the camera to Canon to repair, but now I have no choice as nothing I have tried seems to work. the good news is that they will diagnos it for free and let me know how much it will cost to fix it. I only have to pay for round trip shipping.
it sounds as though you have a problem with your LCD, but it is funny that it whites out. that doesn't seem typical (but what do I know). mine was very obviously cracked and it did exhibit colored lines around the crack, but remained a constant.

you might want to consider the factory service route as well, but bear in mind that it will cost $135 US for a screen plus whatever labor to install. it may be cheaper to buy a new camera.

although I was not able to repair the camera, I now consider myself quite adept at dis-assemling and re-assembling the camera. if you decide to tackle it yourself, drop me an email and I will advise you of some neat-o tricks that I came across to make the task easier.

lorax572
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Nov 06, 2003 21:01 |  #30

thanks for the input macdaddy.....any others...yeah or ney for the lcd screen replacement for $135

sponsored links

242,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
LCD screen replacement??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.