Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 11 Feb 2003 (Tuesday) 22:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LCD screen replacement??

ksk7
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Nov 10, 2003 20:21 |  #31

I opened up my A70 to do the LCD replacement but it didn't look as simple as some of the other models seemed to be. I put it back together and can't decide if I should go back in or take the new LCD to a shop and have them do it for me. I'm a little scared to go in too deep and then screw something up. Anyone else successful at replacing the an LCD on A60 or A70???

Thanks

sponsored links
macdaddy
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Nov 11, 2003 13:37 |  #32

I had the same thoughts and reservations, but figured that I was already in, so I went ahead and did the replacement myself. as you may have read, I screwed my camera up royally. it is now in the hands of Canon and I am left wishing I had left it to them to begin with. now I know why the helpful sales-rep at Canon who sold me the LCD asked if I wasn't sure that I would rather just send the camera to them in the first place.
others have fixed it themselves, while some like me just created more problems than I started with. still don't know if my camera can even be fixed.
your call...

JonMarchant
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Nov 17, 2003 12:56 |  #33

Well, my A40 LCD screen went kablooey yesterday. Don't know how it happened but the bottom half of the image is now blurred and streaked, as if the last good row of pixels is being smeared across the rest of the picture. Tellingly, there appears to be a multicoloured scratch on the display, just where the trouble starts. The CCD is fine however: downloaded test pictures come out normal, so I know it's just the LCD panel that's at fault.

All this is _inside_ the case though; the protective window over the LCD is unscathed. It hasn't been dropped, nothing's rattling around inside, and it was working fine a couple of days before. It's weird. The only thing I can think of is the 12 month warranty has just expired, so of course the spring-loaded "LCD Scraper Arm" (Part No. SA-1234) has deployed successfully ;)

Seriously, does anyone know where in the UK I'd be able to buy a replacement LCD panel? I'm willing to have a go replacing it myself - going by the posts on this thread it doesn't look impossible. If one's available for £50 ish, it'd be better than forking out well over £100 for a repair shop.... and if I had to do that I might as well cut my losses and get an A70 or A80. Pity, it was a good little camera :~(

Jon

--------
http://www.jonmarchant​.clara.net/photoexternal link

Alfy
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Nov 18, 2003 18:45 |  #34

LCD works occasionally

Hi,
I dropped my camera a while ago and ever since the LCD just goes black and then starts working occasionally. now its not working again,
do you know what the problem is? do you think Canon will still know i dropped or can i tell them it came like that??
thanks

JonMarchant
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Nov 27, 2003 12:36 |  #35

Well after a week and a half of scouring the web and phoning repair shops to fix my A40's LCD panel, I've given up and ordered an A80.

The posts here, about being able to buy a replacement screen for ~$40, were optimistic when it came to the UK. The only place willing to sell one was charging £90 ($150 US), and that's assuming it actually was just the screen and not the CPU or something else. The nearest Canon-authorised repair shop quoted £150-200 ($260-340 US) to fix it, and as that's three-quarters the cost of an A80, I just cut my losses. Ah well.

Useful links I found anyway:
Canon UK support web pageexternal link
Authorised repair centresexternal link

derishev
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2003
Dec 06, 2003 08:19 |  #36

I have bought DIGITAL IXUS 400 camera not long ago and have my LCD broken. Unfortunately I live in Novosibirsk, Russia, where no Canon service center is available and thus I can't buy spare LCD for my broken Ixus. If you can help me with this problem or suggest the way to solve this problem, please write me. Maybe someone can order this item in Canon service center and send it to me via FedEx? (Electronic money transfer, reasonable fee and the process of replacement itself is not a problem).

speedy
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2003
Dec 11, 2003 23:26 |  #37

I dropped my Digital Ixus V about 8 months ago, which dinted the back of the case which cracked the LCD screen. The camera works perfectly but with no LCD screen :( I found this forum and looked into ordering the LCD replacement (I live in Australia). I called Canon Australia on (02)98052000, and was transferred to "Spares" and then transferred to order the part WG2-5217-000. The part cost $69.60 Australian dollars including tax, and $11 shipping. The LCD screen arrived the next day - I'll be attempting the replacement tonight - wish me luck! Thanks to all those who have contributed to this forum (and I'm glad I found it!)

the ­ dude
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2003
Dec 20, 2003 07:49 |  #38

wow!, I just broke the screen to mine last night!! uhg!
Im in france, hope Canon is as friendly with their parts out here. in any case Im very happy to read that it is possible to do it yourself, ive printed your instruction in the hopes of being able to purchase the lcd screen out here.
do u think its feasable to glue a protective glass cover?
these screens are exposed in such a way that they are sure to make more money on parts & repairs
thnx for the great tip!!

Patsplace
20 posts
Joined May 2003
Dec 20, 2003 14:30 |  #39

The posts in this Topic area alone are worth having a computer and the internet for just this one topic.

Thanks to all. I don't have a broken LCD but hearing what I have from all of you has taken my "Retro-Grouch" feelings away about my A70.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.
Pat

Heather
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2003
Dec 25, 2003 23:57 |  #40

I too have joined the ranks of the cracked LCD screen camera users. I don't know what happened to mine. I've had my Canon S40 for 2 years now and have never had a problem. On Christmas Day, I went to take photos of the gift opening festivities, and I got a black screen with lines on it. Since I am military and live in Japan, I took the camera to the Exchange. Customer service said that they were going to mail it out to get a repair estimate. The problem is that I'm going on vacation in 30 days. I'll let you know how long this process takes and how much I end up paying for it. Kudos to those who replaced it themselves. I'm not so confident in my engineering skills.

sati
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2003
Dec 27, 2003 17:19 |  #41

I just wanted to say 'thanks' for afroengineer's comments on replacing the LCD panel. Based in the UK, I found it very difficult for someone to replace the screen without taking me for a ride. I rang up Canon's support line for the UK only to discover that they don't spares to the public. They gave me the contact details of the UK Canon parts distributer (01782 413 611 www.lehmannsdirect.co.​ukexternal link) who were very useful. I gave them the part number and within a few days my new display arrived.

I followed the instructions that afroengineer left on this site and the camera worked as good as new. If it weren't for this web site I would be forced into buying a new Canon 400.

Thanks again,
Sati

PS By the way, the part cost £25 including VAT.

Dreww
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Jan 13, 2004 16:59 |  #42

Power-shot S400 LCD replacement

Dear Forum, Please Help!

I am posting the message that I have sent to afroenginer looking for help with a couple problems I had with my LCD replacement for my S400. Please post or reply to me if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
----
Hello, I thank you for your information on getting and replacing the LCD for my Powershot S400. I ran into a couple problems and was wondering if you could help me out??

There were a number of small rectangular clear plastic sheets that came out with the old LCD. I was not sure where they came from, or how to put them back in. There did not appear to be any on the new LCD.

Anyway, I put most of them behind the new LCD in the metalic plate that holds the LCD. I left out the one plastic sheet that was not flimsy (like the rest) because I couldn't fit them all.

After I put the camera back together, as I was tightening the bottom screw, my LCD cracked (in a V from bottom to top) again! I thought this may have been due to either 1) improper placement of the small clear protector things, or 2) the twisting of the metal LCD holder and/or camera frame from the drop that resulted in the first LCD breakage.

Do you have any suggestions?? I have a new LCD on the way.
Also, now my computer will not detect my camera when I plug the USB into the the computer?? It seems possible that the USB cord is not plugging into the camera as far as it did before I replaced the LCD screen.

Please help me with any suggestions you may have, and thanks again for the information. Replacing the LCD was not that difficut, hopefully this time I will not break the new one and will be able to rectify the situation with my USB port.

Thanks,

Drew

eatherink
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2004
Jan 13, 2004 22:58 |  #43

White Screen

What does it mean when the LCD Screen is white and nothing appears?

miji2
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2003
Jan 15, 2004 00:34 |  #44

Hey all,

As my way of giving back to this forum I decided to put together a web page documenting my journed thought my LCD replacement project. A little background: I found my way here last November after my S40 had an unfortunate accident and thanks to boyle and afroengineer I realized that the self-serve repair option may allow me to rescue my S40 from the junk heap (repairing it for $300 to $400 was not an option). I finally got around to posting the pics and all to http://www.miji2.ca/fi​xcamexternal link. Hope this helps someone in the future.

BTW, there is also a link there to a page which talks about a replacement of the S40 internal battery (http://wcp.sdf-eu.org/s40/external link). Some may find that helpful too.

Thanks a bunch!

miji2

rodsquad
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2004
Jan 16, 2004 15:29 |  #45

LCD screen replacement??

Thanks to afroengineer I replaced the LCD and it works. A small plastic (looks like it has a #1 on it) piece fell out while I was taking the camera apart and I can't figure out were it goes. The camera works but I'm concerned.
I read in the forum about a http://www.micro-tools.com/pdf/Canon/in​dex.htmlexternal link, but the link does not work.

Could someone email me the pdf if they downloaded it?

Anyone remember a small gray piece falling out? Any ideas?

I could email a photo of the piece.

Thanks,
Rod@gorge.net

sponsored links

241,360 views & 0 likes for this thread
LCD screen replacement??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.