Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 21 Nov 2009 (Saturday) 12:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 09, 2017 09:14 |  #8641

Charlie wrote in post #18492563 (external link)
EDIT: btw, cover that flash socket, I've read that's the worst spot for water to get in! Otherwise, the body is fairly water resistant.

and the bottom of the camera...did you see the LensREntals tear down of a A7S2...I need to find those little socket covers...I am not sure where they ended up...but since I use a remote timer all the time, I always have something sitting on the hot shoe...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Nov 09, 2017 11:57 |  #8642

jcothron wrote in post #18492433 (external link)
Their system is gorgeous I'll give you that! I've looked at it several times, how bulky do you find it to carry around?

Well, my filters are in a Kinesis filter pouch, so that is there regardless, and doesn't really take up much more real estate than my old LowePro filter pouch did. The WCC case I usually lay on top of everything else or put it in an outside pouch. This is what it all looks like inside of my Contrejour 35. If I don't bring the WonderPana then the WCC goes on top, the Kinesis pouch goes where the two filter holders are, and a 70-200 can go were the Kinesis pouch is.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Post has been edited 8 days ago by Scatterbrained.
Nov 09, 2017 12:06 |  #8643

Charlie wrote in post #18492563 (external link)
wahhhhhh? Sony user using grads :lol:

bracket and/or grad in post :-)

even with water scenes, it's not an issue. Exposure for the sky, then one for water movement.

btw, I'm on my 3rd filter system, so yeah, I do know about GAS  :p

This will be it, I keep telling myself!

EDIT: btw, cover that flash socket, I've read that's the worst spot for water to get in! Otherwise, the body is fairly water resistant.

Ha ha. Even with 3 stops of grad on the sky I've still found myself having to pull the sky down and push the foreground. I have a twilight shot from the other day where I had 6 stops on the sky and none on the foreground. Still had to push the foreground and pull the sky a bit. -? Add focus stacking to that and it's about all the post work I want to do. It's hard enough focus stacking when the light is constantly changing, forget HDRing it too.

Yeah. I used to keep the plastic cover in the socket, and water still got in and turned the contacts green. Now I carry one of those cheap plastic covers for when the water is splashing. El Cheapo Rain Cover. (external link)

The problem is I am constantly forgetting to use it. :oops:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 09, 2017 12:13 |  #8644

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18492688 (external link)
Well, my filters are in a Kinesis filter pouch, so that is there regardless, and doesn't really take up much more real estate than my old LowePro filter pouch did. The WCC case I usually lay on top of everything else or put it in an outside pouch. This is what it all looks like inside of my Contrejour 35. If I don't bring the WonderPana then the WCC goes on top, the Kinesis pouch goes where the two filter holders are, and a 70-200 can go were the Kinesis pouch is.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Scatterbrained in
./showthread.php?p=184​92688&i=i188190878
forum: Nature & Landscapes
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Scatterbrained in
./showthread.php?p=184​92688&i=i39786781
forum: Nature & Landscapes

Doesn't look too bad. I think I've got just about every filter pouch made outside of the Kinesis. Lee filter book, lowepro, etc. I've ended up using one made by Clik that I like pretty well. Great protection and fits in the end pocket of my shoulder bag easily enough. It doesn't have a belt loop or anything though. I carry adapter rings and my 2 Lee holders (one for the zeiss 15) separately in another pocket. I've gotten to where all I carry is a 3 stop soft GND, and a 3,6, and 10 stop ND. I'd love to get it down from that but it's hard to do and still be able to do what I want sometimes.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 09, 2017 12:14 |  #8645

I have one of these...https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...Pro_SLR_Storm_Jacke​t.html (external link)

And use it around water. If I feel like I might get splashed...I bought the Camo version, because it was at one point on clearance! And its ugly, so no one will want to steal it. Works for covering the gear doing LE too.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 09, 2017 12:16 |  #8646

jcothron wrote in post #18492702 (external link)
Doesn't look too bad. I think I've got just about every filter pouch made outside of the Kinesis. Lee filter book, lowepro, etc. I've ended up using one made by Clik that I like pretty well. Great protection and fits in the end pocket of my shoulder bag easily enough. It doesn't have a belt loop or anything though. I carry adapter rings and my 2 Lee holders (one for the zeiss 15) separately in another pocket. I've gotten to where all I carry is a 3 stop soft GND, and a 3,6, and 10 stop ND. I'd love to get it down from that but it's hard to do and still be able to do what I want sometimes.

I have actually just added a 2 and 4 stop to the kit...so that I now have 2,3,4,6,10 and 16...sometimes 10 wasn't enough, but 16 was too long...or 6 wasn't enough and 10 was too long...so now I can make a lot more combinations to fine tune what I want...I have gotten away from LE a little this year and am going to get back to it...I really enjoy it and the images it produces...

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 09, 2017 12:17 |  #8647

TRhoads wrote in post #18492703 (external link)
I have one of these...https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...Pro_SLR_Storm_Jacke​t.html (external link)

And use it around water. If I feel like I might get splashed...I bought the Camo version, because it was at one point on clearance! And its ugly, so no one will want to steal it. Works for covering the gear doing LE too.

I have one of those in my bag as well... maybe one of these days I'll actually use it lol.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Nov 12, 2017 10:31 |  #8648

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4528/24492304838_06e5728757_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Djis​VU] (external link)Cleveland across lake (external link) by DutchinCLE (external link), on Flickr

Bas
Flickrexternal link

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 13, 2017 07:37 |  #8649

This is a shot from Saturday morning, I decided to take in a sunrise on my way to Old Car City...but in my packing and organizing for Joshua Tree I left my remote at home...so I was limited to 30 seconds, so I could not break out the 6 or 10 stop. But I needed a longer than 20 second exposure, the water had a lot of chop to it, so I used my new FH Firecrest 4 stop and SR for 4 20 second images stacked. The new filters are so incredibly color neutral, I am really pleased with them. Later I stacked the 2 and 4 and still have very clean color correct images...the LEE 10 stop is probably going to be on the chopping block soon.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4516/38355621252_8f694e3d33_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21rm​zUG] (external link)A Short Walk (external link) by Travis Rhoads (external link), on Flickr

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 13, 2017 08:12 |  #8650

TRhoads wrote in post #18495256 (external link)
This is a shot from Saturday morning, I decided to take in a sunrise on my way to Old Car City...but in my packing and organizing for Joshua Tree I left my remote at home...so I was limited to 30 seconds, so I could not break out the 6 or 10 stop. But I needed a longer than 20 second exposure, the water had a lot of chop to it, so I used my new FH Firecrest 4 stop and SR for 4 20 second images stacked. The new filters are so incredibly color neutral, I am really pleased with them. Later I stacked the 2 and 4 and still have very clean color correct images...the LEE 10 stop is probably going to be on the chopping block soon.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21rm​zUG] (external link)A Short Walk (external link) by Travis Rhoads (external link), on Flickr

Very nice Travis, and great job making what you have with you work!

John

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 13, 2017 08:18 |  #8651

jcothron wrote in post #18495277 (external link)
Very nice Travis, and great job making what you have with you work!

Thanks John...you can imagine my frustration when I started setting up when I realized my remote was not with me...n00b mistake for sure!

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 13, 2017 08:20 |  #8652

TRhoads wrote in post #18495279 (external link)
Thanks John...you can imagine my frustration when I started setting up when I realized my remote was not with me...n00b mistake for sure!

I can imagine it very well, since I've done it lol. Fortunately I have a backup with the 5D4, you can set a long exposure in the camera. I think I've done it a couple of times to just see how it works. IIRC, you can't have mirror lock-up at the same time though.

John

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 13, 2017 08:24 |  #8653

jcothron wrote in post #18495285 (external link)
I can imagine it very well, since I've done it lol. Fortunately I have a backup with the 5D4, you can set a long exposure in the camera. I think I've done it a couple of times to just see how it works. IIRC, you can't have mirror lock-up at the same time though.

Mirror Lock up is not something I have to worry about anymore! But why Sony has not built in an intervalometer and remote feature in yet, is still kinda hard to get my head around...as much as you can do in camera...I learned a couple weeks ago that Olympus Mirrorless cameras have exposure options up to 60 seconds without a remote or timer...which is great...

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 13, 2017 08:36 |  #8654

TRhoads wrote in post #18495287 (external link)
Mirror Lock up is not something I have to worry about anymore! But why Sony has not built in an intervalometer and remote feature in yet, is still kinda hard to get my head around...as much as you can do in camera...I learned a couple weeks ago that Olympus Mirrorless cameras have exposure options up to 60 seconds without a remote or timer...which is great...

Yeah I hear you. I never thought I would say this but I've been thinking some about the 7r3. Hard to ignore what it has.

John

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 13, 2017 08:49 |  #8655

jcothron wrote in post #18495297 (external link)
Yeah I hear you. I never thought I would say this but I've been thinking some about the 7r3. Hard to ignore what it has.

I really wasn't thinking about it until I ready about Pixel Shift today...mind blown.

sponsored links

1,926,125 views & 5569 likes for this thread
Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.