Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of February 2003 (Wed)   #1
hillies

Default G3 nightmare

Well not really a nightmare...on the contrary. I'm seriously considering a G3 (that's the only thing that haunts me in my sleep...the zillions of samples I've been looking at), but there are two main itches...

1. the positioning of the lensbarrel and consequenses that it has been told to have on shades in the lower right corner (when flashing).
Is it really that annoying? Should I consider buying an additional flash like the 220 or 420EX (and which one is to be preferred?) Or can I use my good old Minolta 3500xi external flash in any way.... (i take the chance of asking stupid questions, better than no questions, as we say in Old Europe).

2. the autofocus in less favourable (i.e. darkish) conditions. Or is the manual focus that easy to handle..?

Useful / benevolent replies will be looked upon with loads of perpetual thanx of from my side...
hillies is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of February 2003 (Wed)   #2
pturton

Default Re: G3 nightmare

Re: Lens barrel obstruction

I seldom if ever use the optical viewfinder but when I do, a little imagination helps to position the frame.

The internal flash has some drop-off at the corners of the frame at full wide angle but this is to be expected for a point light source.

If using the Canon 58 mm lens adapter there is a severe shadowing in the lower right corner of the frame. The LensMate 52 mm LA the shadowing is not as bad. Simple solution, remove the LA for those occasional shots where there is a problem.

Before using a 3rd party strobe on your G3, check the trigger voltage as described at http://www.botzilla.com/photo/G1strobe.html
Check this voltage yourself!

If using your Minotla strobe, any extra pins on the mount could cause problems with the G3's hot shoe. The Minolta has 3 contacts plus ground I believe and the G3 has 5 plus ground. This flash must be used in AV or Manual mode to get proper exposure.
For proper ETTL exposure, I and many others recommend the Canon 420ex.

RE: Auto-focus

This has not been a problem for me yet. I've used the G2 since last June and the G3 since mid-November. Once I realized the limitations and peculiarities of this system, any out of focus pictures were the result of my hurried carelessness.

Last evening while playing with an idea for an external AF light that would not be blocked by the LA and extend the focus range to 12 m, I used a two AA cell Mag penlite and was able to focus quickly in my home at about 10 m in total darkness except for the penlite.

The Manual Focus is much improved over the G2.

RE: Useful / benevolent

Hope so. :)

I was taught that there are no stupid questions if understanding is the reason for it. - only stupid answers.

Cheers,
Paul
http://www.iaw.com/~pturton/
pturton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of February 2003 (Thu)   #3
hillies

Default Re: G3 nightmare

thanx Paul!

Your answer has been quite helpful! Especially the botzilla-link brought some light in my darkness (appropriate considering the subject). Lux erat!

I think that i shall have to develop the full potential of my bargaining skills in order to convince the retailer to sell me a G3 and an EX420 for a rockbottom price, though i will probably end up paying the regular combined streetprice for the two plus a free 24 takes 35mm film....by courtesy of the retailer...

Hilbert de Wal
hillies is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member