Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of November 2009 (Sun)   #1
v_roma

Default Tips for indoor shooting over holidays

Hi everyone,

I've recently made the move to a digital SLR from a point-and-click. I wanted to take some pictures of the family over Christmas (mostly candid though there may be a few posed pictures here and there) and was looking for some pointers. As you can imagine, I will be mostly indoors and will not have any kind of special lighting setup. From what I've read, two things I can do is to go with a high ISO setting and the fastest lens I have (that would be a Canon 50mm 1.8, which I got at the suggestion of other members of the forum). Any other tips on how to shoot good pictures under these conditions?

I'm just starting out so the equipment is limited: Canon 350D with 18-55 lens and 50mm 1.8 lens. No external flash...

Many thanks,
Roma
v_roma is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of November 2009 (Sun)   #2
EmmaRose

Default Re: Tips for indoor shooting over holidays

Use the 50mm 1.8, use a fast shutter speed (higher than 1/80 - tv mode), as for iso imo auto will do.
Old 29th of November 2009 (Sun)   #3
v_roma

Great. Thanks for the tips!
v_roma is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of December 2009 (Sun)   #4
SavantDeviance

Or learn to shoot in M... Set your nifty to 1.8, put your shutter somewhere around 1/80-1/250 depending on the situation (the faster the better, though) and then adjust ISO accordingly. Not too hard, and a good chance to practice.
SavantDeviance is offline   Reply With Quote