Best Business Practices for Photographers

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 30 Nov 2009 (Monday) 02:19   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jmborkowski
Joined Nov 2008
113 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I can't stress enough how valuable this book is. Given the price, there is literally no reason not to read it. I own a software company and could have spared myself some serious stress had I read the book sooner, and that's out of industry. Every single person here would benefit from it.

Amazon linkexternal link.

This may have been mentioned here recently, but a) I haven't seen it if it has and b) I've come across more than a few threads recently with OPs that should read it.

Post #1, Nov 30, 2009 02:19:28

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2008
9,334 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Tell us more about it, you're not selling me yet. What is it about the book that you liked ? What kind of info should we expect?

Everytime I pick up a photo related book its filled with the same regurgitated drivel in glossier pages. Educate me! What kind of topics does this book cover in particular?

Post #2, Nov 30, 2009 02:38:11

Adventurous Photographer, Writerexternal link & Wedding Photographerexternal link

kona77
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
1,626 posts
Southern ME
[MORE/SHARE]

Karl Johnston wrote in post #9106096external link
Tell us more about it, you're not selling me yet. What is it about the book that you liked ? What kind of info should we expect?

Everytime I pick up a photo related book its filled with the same regurgitated drivel in glossier pages. Educate me! What kind of topics does this book cover in particular?

Product Description

A follow-up to the successful and acclaimed "Best Business Practices for Photographers", this updated and expanded edition serves as an even more comprehensive guide to achieving financial success and personal satisfaction in your business as a photographer. Included in this new edition are sections on licensing your work, making the career change from a staff photographer to a freelancer, surviving an IRS audit, and more. This book includes best practices in interacting with clients, negotiating contracts and licenses, and business operations. "Best Business Practices for Photographers, Second Edition" is the key to a successful career in photography.

Or you could also click on the link.

jmborkowski, thanks for the info.:lol:

Post #3, Nov 30, 2009 08:29:31

Proud father of a 10 year old son with Down Syndrome.

Pyromaniac
Joined Dec 2004
539 posts
Mt Washington in Cincinnati, Oh
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm with Karl on this. Whats the difference between this book and all the other books out there about the best way to run a photography business?

Post #4, Nov 30, 2009 08:30:22

www.actionstills.comexternal link | Ohio POTN Google Calendarexternal link | Blogexternal link

kona77
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
1,626 posts
Southern ME
[MORE/SHARE]

Pyromaniac wrote in post #9107016external link
I'm with Karl on this. Whats the difference between this book and all the other books out there about the best way to run a photography business?

I just spent some time reading the reviews as well as other recommended books by Amazon, I was impressed and purchased the book. I will let you know what I think of it as soon as I get it.

Post #5, Nov 30, 2009 08:40:00

Proud father of a 10 year old son with Down Syndrome.

sponsored links
Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 posts
Waterdown, ON
[MORE/SHARE]

Being from Canada I'd want to know is there sufficient content that's applicable to other countries or is this another US-COTU book (which is fine, just not worthwhile to me)? From the description I see copyright & IRS mentioned (likely US content only), however general contracts, negotiating and business operations could be relevant.

John, any opinion if this book is suitable for countries other than the US?

Cheers

Post #6, Nov 30, 2009 08:42:33

Lindsey
Gear - Ontario Sports & Event Photographyexternal link - Hamilton & Burlington Portrait Photographyexternal link - Blogexternal link

jmborkowski
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2008
113 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

No worries, it's an easy answer, DETAIL.

The book is 500 pages long, touches on damn near everything and uses current, real life examples from the author's successful photography business. He shows you actual contracts, bid sheets, invoices, email threads with prospects and clients and on an on.

Strobist reviewexternal link.

Chase Jarvis reviewexternal link.

Post #7, Nov 30, 2009 09:11:06

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
10,050 posts
San Jose, California
[MORE/SHARE]

Just think how few questions we'd see here on the forum, if everyone started buying and reading this and some of the other excellent books out there! :cool:

Post #8, Nov 30, 2009 13:06:56

Alan Myers
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3) & other cameras, various lenses/access. - FLICKRexternal link - PRINTROOMexternal link

mickdaniel
Mostly Lurking
Joined Nov 2009
12 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

It's really one of the best books on photography business. There's also ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography which is great too. Also, you can find a list of best photography business booksexternal link at photography.pro.

Post #9, Dec 01, 2009 03:21:25

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 posts
Waterdown, ON
[MORE/SHARE]

Those of you guys who have read the book.....is the content US centric or is there sufficient to make it valuable to other countries?

Post #10, Dec 01, 2009 12:42:31

Lindsey
Gear - Ontario Sports & Event Photographyexternal link - Hamilton & Burlington Portrait Photographyexternal link - Blogexternal link

LostShootingStar
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
1,005 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

kona77 wrote in post #9107077external link
I just spent some time reading the reviews as well as other recommended books by Amazon, I was impressed and purchased the book. I will let you know what I think of it as soon as I get it.

That'd be great!

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE
IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE
I'm interested to see what you think of it.

Post #11, Dec 01, 2009 19:45:06

sponsored links
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2005
5,618 posts
Attica, NY/Clearwater, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

http://www.sportsshoot​er.com .../book_profile.html?​id=685external link

http://www.sportsshoot​er.com .../book_profile.html?​id=783external link

Post #12, Dec 01, 2009 20:59:21

Gear: here - Websites: Mike Janes Photographyexternal link
Sports Shooter Profileexternal link - Four Seam Images LLCexternal link
MaxPrepsexternal link - MLB Blog - Let's see if I have time for this!external link

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 posts
Waterdown, ON
[MORE/SHARE]

Sounds like there's at least one Canuck who feels this book is of value. I'll check it out - thx for that link.

Post #13, Dec 02, 2009 07:40:01

Lindsey

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2008
9,334 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I ended up getting it and it is pretty damned good. :P

Post #14, Jan 19, 2010 00:13:21

Adventurous Photographer, Writerexternal link & Wedding Photographerexternal link

sebmour
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
1,417 posts
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

thank you for sharing this information!

Post #15, Jan 19, 2010 06:43:35

Montreal and Destination wedding photographerexternal link
5DIII, 5DII X2, 15mm f2.8, 24L,35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 135L, 200LIS, 2X430EXII, 4X580EXII

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,259 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Business Practices for Photographers
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES