Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 07:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Question: "7D Takes Some Learning" - So What Are We Learning?

Mark ­ Theriot
Joined Sep 2009
Dec 08, 2009 07:12 |  #1

Hi,
I've seen many threads that state the 7D is great camera but is taking some "getting used to" and "some learning" - I'm curious - what are we learning? What needs to change, be done differently, not done, etc. From other cameras?

Let's see what we've got here!

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Equipment: 800L, 400 DO, 70-300L, 24-105L

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,613 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 08, 2009 07:19 |  #2

Maybe it depends on what your coming from. I am finding that the two things that I keep referring back to the manual are the AF system. It takes a bit of getting use to. If you had been using a 1D series camera though I can see where this might not be a hard thing to pick up, but coming from a 50D pattern AF takes a bit of getting use to. The other thing I'm getting use to is the new built in remote flash trigger feature. It's nice to be able to trigger multiple flashes without cords but it does have to be set up correctly. I usually forget to set my 580 as a slave and to turn off the built in flash so this feature takes a bit of getting use to. Other than those two, the camera pretty much operates as any other camera.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Dec 08, 2009 07:29 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #3

shutter speed has to be greater than focal legnth to get 100% sharp images,focal system takes some learning. study the canon videos. learning with it every time i use it.

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Dec 08, 2009 07:37 |  #4

My problem was with the custom function settings for auto focus. I shot three days of pictures with most of them being out of focus or blurred. I finally sat down with the camera and manual and actually worked through all the custom functions. Problem fixed.

I also made a number of statements that the 7D would not hit 8 frames a second, under any circumstances. As soon as I bought a "modern" CF card, it got 8 frames a second or better, under any and all circumstances, lenses or settings. I learned that crow doesn't taste so bad, with a little salt. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuffexternal link
Gear List, My You Tubeexternal link
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

ReconCadre
480 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Seffner, FL
Dec 08, 2009 07:49 |  #5

canonloader wrote in post #9156624external link
My problem was with the custom function settings for auto focus. I shot three days of pictures with most of them being out of focus or blurred. I finally sat down with the camera and manual and actually worked through all the custom functions. Problem fixed.

I also made a number of statements that the 7D would not hit 8 frames a second, under any circumstances. As soon as I bought a "modern" CF card, it got 8 frames a second or better, under any and all circumstances, lenses or settings. I learned that crow doesn't taste so bad, with a little salt. :)

can you pls. elaborate what you did in the custom function settings?

[Perry de Venecia Photography ]external link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,613 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 08, 2009 07:50 |  #6

Oh.. and another thing I'm learnin' I suspect that my 7D manual will be way more dog eared than any of the other bodies I have shot with. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Kafn8td
Joined Feb 2007
Minnesooooooota
Dec 08, 2009 07:57 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #9156658external link
Oh.. and another thing I'm learnin' I suspect that my 7D manual will be way more dog eared than any of the other bodies I have shot with. :)

Mine already is. The videos on Canon's site are great. I too have to refer to the AF section and also the section on wireless flash.

I agree that it is also important to use a high shutter speed if you are using a long lens. The sensor on this camera doesn't miss much.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,708 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Dec 08, 2009 08:13 as a reply to Kafn8td's post |  #8

My main lesson was that the AF points are significantly larger than their respective rectangles in the viewfinder, and then they are still large, compared to what you see in the viewfinder of a 40D, for example.
I also think that the new exposure meter sometimes comes to different conclusions compared to what I've been used to expect, but not necessarily worse.

And finally, I've learned that my, and several other, 7D cameras can't properly control slave flashes in E-TTL in all cases.

Anders

russ_hillis
299 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Coronation, Alberta
Dec 08, 2009 09:05 as a reply to apersson850's post |  #9

I moved from an Xt, so I knew whatever camera I upgraded to would create a learning curve. I'm not having as much trouble with the AF as I had expected from reading the posts on here. I fiddled with the 100% AF for about 20 shots and realized that it would it limit me "most" of the time. So I chose to use a single spot at the beginning. Now I'm using the area focus a lot more, preferring to use either the top area or the centre area, I like using both of those as it seems to work well for me. When the weather improves I hope to get out and try some bird in flight photo's using the full focus area. Another comment I heard from a semi-pro was that the Canon menu's are not as intuitive as the Nikon. I'm not sure what he meant by that, but the 7D's menu & controls are an absolute dream to use when compared to my Xt. Way easier to shoot bracket exposures and stopping down the flash is simple as pie. No more fumbling for the AV & TV either, a real PITA on the XT. Learning curve? Yes, insurmountable no!

My greatest dream, is to find a wife selling her husbands gear for what he told her it was worth! Zenfolioexternal linkPromo Code BU4-Y6F-KHG My Flickrexternal link 7D Tamron 17-50 mm f2.8, Nifty 50, Vivitar 135mm f2.8, Tokina ATF/D 80-400mm

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Dec 08, 2009 09:09 |  #10

ReconCadre wrote in post #9156655external link
can you pls. elaborate what you did in the custom function settings?

Here ya go. I use these settings, which are mainly controlling AF. Try these if you are getting a number of out of focus shots, say in a burst of 6-8 or more, or it's just not holding focus after the first lock on.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

neumanns
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007
North Centeral Minnesota
Dec 08, 2009 10:33 |  #11

I have learned...When you tweak the AI servo to fast tracking focus
LOOK OUT...If you take your focus point off the subject the Camera responds INSTANTLY!

This is a double edged sword...It can track fantastically but if "I" screw up and don't track the subject properly I'm gonna get a real nice and sharp photo of the far wall and the Basketball player is gonna be rendered as indistinguishable bokeh!!!

In a nutshell....The camera don't miss focus, but I sure can!

Lovin every minute of it...

7D, Sigma 8-16, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580ExII, ........Searching for Talent & Skill; Will settle for Blind Luck!

garycoleman
450 posts
Joined Aug 2008
California
Dec 08, 2009 10:41 |  #12

There shouldn't be any difference in learning the AF if you still primarily use single point center focus.

So when people have focusing problems using single point center AF and they didn't have problems with their previous camera, other people need to stop telling them to RTFM and just send it into to Canon to get it fixed.

Canon 5D MKIII | Canon 60D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 580EX II

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Indiana
Dec 08, 2009 10:56 as a reply to garycoleman's post |  #13

Came from a 50D and the things I am getting used to and learning about are:

1 - New AF modes, when to use them, and setting tracking sensitivity
2 - Using off camera flash for the first time
3 - Video, though this is something I rarely use and is not all that important to me

I'm sure many of the people on here with much more experience don't have much of a learning curve with these things, but only being into photography for a year these are the things I had to learn with the 7D.

7D2 w/ BG-E16, 7D w/ BG-E7, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8
Full List

ReconCadre
480 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Seffner, FL
Dec 08, 2009 10:58 |  #14

thanks canonloader..i'll give it a shot tonite..ill post my results

[Perry de Venecia Photography ]external link

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Dec 08, 2009 11:11 |  #15

garycoleman wrote in post #9157550external link
There shouldn't be any difference in learning the AF if you still primarily use single point center focus.

So when people have focusing problems using single point center AF and they didn't have problems with their previous camera, other people need to stop telling them to RTFM and just send it into to Canon to get it fixed.

Just not true at all. The 40D needed some camera specific custom functions set before it's AF would work right. It was way different than the 30D or the 1D Classic. Same thing with the 7D. I jumped the 50D, but I assume it was the same. The 7D is much different than the 40D and I can tell you, it needs some getting use to compared to the 40D.

It also has two centerpoint options rather than just one and the active points are more and different than any XXD model before it. It's a whole other camera. It is NOT just another 50D. It's in a different class and it needs different learning to make it sing and dance.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

sponsored links

7,776 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question: "7D Takes Some Learning" - So What Are We Learning?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.