Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of December 2009 (Wed)   #1
smv81147

Default MFA - Help me clear the confusion....

Apologies upfront for my ignorance on the subject. I've been reading the threads on MFA, very frequent lately due to the 7D coming to market and to a lesser extend from 5D2 owners. Most tend to send their lenses to repair shops after they realize that some MFA is needed and here's what I don't understand: I had all my lenses in both bodies MFAd to become as sharp as possible using either the focus chart or shooting real life scenes and adjusting (as per Canon's procedure). For example, I have the same lens (300L f/4) at +16 on the 5D2 and at +1 at the 7D to give the best possible result.

To my understanding MFA is a calibration tool that has mostly has to do with the lens - body combination, rather than any of the two alone. This calibration may be required due to manufacturing tolerances in the flange of the camera, or the focal plane position or moving parts within the lens or the camera that affect the focus point of the combined set (lens/body). I am sure that another copy of the 300L f/4 lens will require another MFA setting, because of these tolerances, on the same bodies I have. Likewise, the exact same lens on a different body will need to be MFA again to different settings. True, if values fall outside the range, then either component may have a serious flaw.

So my question is this: Is MFA a tool to figure out if you have a defective lens, or rather a tool to perfectly adjust/optimize the performance of a combination of a camera & a lens?Thnx in advance for your thoughts....
5DMKIII, 7D Gripped, 16-35/2.8LII, 24/1.4LII, 50/1.2L, 100/2.8L Macro, 70-200IS-II/2.8L, 300/4L, 400/2.8L, MP-E 65/2.8 Macro, MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Ringlite, Speedlite 270EX, Speedlite 600EX-RTE, PowerShot S95, OM-D E-M5, Lumix 12-35 f/2.8
smv81147 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of December 2009 (Wed)   #2
elitejp

Default Re: MFA - Help me clear the confusion....

To my understanding MFA is a calibration tool that has mostly has to do with the lens - body combination, rather than any of the two alone. This calibration may be required due to manufacturing tolerances in the flange of the camera, or the focal plane position or moving parts within the lens or the camera that affect the focus point of the combined set (lens/body).

I beleive this to be correct.