MFA - Help me clear the confusion....

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 09 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 02:02   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

smv81147
Joined May 2009
59 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Apologies upfront for my ignorance on the subject. I've been reading the threads on MFA, very frequent lately due to the 7D coming to market and to a lesser extend from 5D2 owners. Most tend to send their lenses to repair shops after they realize that some MFA is needed and here's what I don't understand: I had all my lenses in both bodies MFAd to become as sharp as possible using either the focus chart or shooting real life scenes and adjusting (as per Canon's procedure). For example, I have the same lens (300L f/4) at +16 on the 5D2 and at +1 at the 7D to give the best possible result.

To my understanding MFA is a calibration tool that has mostly has to do with the lens - body combination, rather than any of the two alone. This calibration may be required due to manufacturing tolerances in the flange of the camera, or the focal plane position or moving parts within the lens or the camera that affect the focus point of the combined set (lens/body). I am sure that another copy of the 300L f/4 lens will require another MFA setting, because of these tolerances, on the same bodies I have. Likewise, the exact same lens on a different body will need to be MFA again to different settings. True, if values fall outside the range, then either component may have a serious flaw.

So my question is this: Is MFA a tool to figure out if you have a defective lens, or rather a tool to perfectly adjust/optimize the performance of a combination of a camera & a lens?Thnx in advance for your thoughts....

Post #1, Dec 09, 2009 02:02:05

5DMKIII, 7D Gripped, 16-35/2.8LII, 24/1.4LII, 50/1.2L, 100/2.8L Macro, 70-200IS-II/2.8L, 300/4L, 400/2.8L, MP-E 65/2.8 Macro, MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Ringlite, Speedlite 270EX, Speedlite 600EX-RTE, PowerShot S95, OM-D E-M5, Lumix 12-35 f/2.8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
1,120 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

To my understanding MFA is a calibration tool that has mostly has to do with the lens - body combination, rather than any of the two alone. This calibration may be required due to manufacturing tolerances in the flange of the camera, or the focal plane position or moving parts within the lens or the camera that affect the focus point of the combined set (lens/body).

I beleive this to be correct.

Post #2, Dec 09, 2009 02:38:33

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,206 views & 0 likes for this thread
MFA - Help me clear the confusion....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES