Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of December 2009 (Sat)   #1
Ralph III

Default Photography Print Release

Hello,
I am in the process of getting into photography for extra income and/or future business and have a few questions.

I recently photographed a family who purchased quite a number of prints which will qualify them for a cd. Can anyone recommend a release form that I may provide so they can print future pictures for personal use themselves?

I do not have a business license yet, as more a hobby at the moment. I have however provided photography needs for several sporting events in my area, with business cards and a website. I guess the question is do I retain rights to my pictures as a professional photography business would and what applicable law applies?

What threshold do I reach before I am required to become licensed?

Thanks, Ralph
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of December 2009 (Sun)   #2
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA

Default Re: Photography Print Release

Where are you located?

POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds
Full Gear List & Feedback
DDCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of December 2009 (Sun)   #3
Ralph III

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCSD View Post
Where are you located?
I am located in Alabama. I have printed the following release form on letterhead, as composed from samples on the Internet and local, for myself. Please advise.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reproduction Release Form

To Whom It May Concern:

I, --my name-- , as photographer and legal copyright author, owner and doing business as --my-website-- do hereby grant __________________________ of ___________________________ rights to copy, print or reproduce photos as described;

Number of photos ___________, consisting of miscellaneous images, as contained on/within _________________________ provided by me. Permission to reprint or reproduce in any fashion is unlimited for customerís personal usage. No reproductions of photos shall be made for commercial purposes, advertising, resale or contest entry, without prior written consent from --my-name-- of which copyrights remain.

A copy of this document shall be considered adequate proof of release by the printer. Confirmation of such can be verified at --my-website-- or by contacting me at any time if necessary. Customer signature required to validate.

Photographer/Owner: --my name -- Todayís Date:___________________

Signature: ____________________________

Phone: xxxxxxxxx
Fax: xxxxxxxxx
Email: xxxxxxxxx

Release Number: _____________________

Session Date: _____________________

Customer Signature: _______________________________

This release is strictly for allowing my customers who qualify to reprint pictures as they please (personal usage). It is not meant to gain permission from them in my using their images on my website or commercial usage. I would gain permission via another form if that ever arose.

Thanks,

P.S Another poster (Australian) on another site, stated I should be aware of buildings, landmarks and businesses in backgrounds? As I could suffer suit for having such in photographs? Is this true and if so how does one protect one's self?
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of December 2009 (Sun)   #4
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
I am located in Alabama. I have printed the following release form on letterhead, as composed from samples on the Internet and local, for myself. Please advise.

Reproduction Release Form

To Whom It May Concern:

I, --my name-- , as photographer and legal copyright author, owner and doing business as --my-website-- do hereby grant __________________________ of ___________________________ rights to copy, print or reproduce photos as described;

Number of photos ___________, consisting of miscellaneous images, as contained on/within _________________________ provided by me. Permission to reprint or reproduce in any fashion is unlimited for customerís personal usage. No reproductions of photos shall be made for commercial purposes, advertising, resale or contest entry, without prior written consent from --my-name-- of which copyrights remain.

A copy of this document shall be considered adequate proof of release by the printer. Confirmation of such can be verified at --my-website-- or by contacting me at any time if necessary. Customer signature required to validate.

Photographer/Owner: --my name -- Todayís Date:___________________

Signature: ____________________________

Phone: xxxxxxxxx
Fax: xxxxxxxxx
Email: xxxxxxxxx

Release Number: _____________________

Session Date: _____________________

Customer Signature: _______________________________

This release is strictly for allowing my customers who qualify to reprint pictures as they please (personal usage). It is not meant to gain permission from them in my using their images on my website or commercial usage. I would gain permission via another form if that ever arose.

Thanks,

P.S Another poster (Australian) on another site, stated I should be aware of buildings, landmarks and businesses in backgrounds? As I could suffer suit for having such in photographs? Is this true and if so how does one protect one's self?

Looks good to me.

As long as the photos aren't being used commercially, you don't have to worry about landmarks or such.

POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds
Full Gear List & Feedback
DDCSD is offline   Reply With Quote