Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #1
schmoelzel
Lord of the Holy Trinity

Default Mini Review - Canon 35/f1.4 L

Well, as many of you know I recently purchased this very scarce and hard-to-find-in-stock lens. I have had a few PM's and emails asking me my various opinions of the 35F1.4 L and while I am no pro equipment reviewer, maybe my humble thoughts will be of some interest to someone!

First the lens............here's a picture of my 50F1.4 and the 35F1.4 side by side. As you can see, the 35 has more heft and is twice the size. It is also finished in typical L glass fashion; feels solid and weight is just right on my Canon 1D.........

Some questions that I have received in the last few days after I posted some of my first shots with this lens:

Is it sharp? In a word, YES! I have a real weakness for sharpness and this lens does not disappoint. The DoF wide open is very narrow especially when you are close to your subject and that is where your focus point is critical. You can really get some crazy DoF effects if you tilt the camera and play around with the plane of focus.

Is it heavy? I find it the perfect weight with my 1D. It is easy to carry around (much easier than my 300 F4!!) but feels very stable. I have read over and over again that those with this lens feel 'inspired' when they have this attached to their camera body.

Is the bokeh nice? I love to isolate the subject from its' background and this lens has that ability in spades. I have noticed in the past couple of days that when I take shots further away from the subject, the background becomes less blurred but the subject seems to 'pop' out of picture. I think this is to do with the incredible contrast that this lens produces. Much the same effect that you get from the 135F2 L.........some refer to it as a '3-D' look.

Is it worth the money over the 35F2 version? Don't know that since I have never used the 35F2. I have read that optically they are very similiar. If so, the 35F2 is a hell of a bargain. I think with this lens what you pay for is the build quality and the better contrast and saturation that you can achieve. I haven't seen many shots taken with the 35F2 version that exhibit the '3-D' pop that this lens produces. I am happy to have spent the money on the lens and I guess that is what counts!!

I could conclude this with a more scientific and thorough set of test pics (brick walls, focus sheets etc etc) but I find that the most practical and informative shots taken with any lens are those that we all would take in everyday settings. Since I take mainly pictures of my daughter Julia, I will post a few more and let you all judge for yourself if this is a good lens or rather worth the $$ that is costs. In my humble opinion, I think it is and I am enjoying it immensely!! Thanks for looking and I hope this helps someone else come to a decision to pursue the purchase of this great piece of Canon glass. If anyone has any questions or statements concerning this lens or my little mini-review, just ask and I will try to answer as best as I can.......remember, I am not a professional review person so take all my observations with a grain of salt!!

Last edited by schmoelzel : 26th of June 2007 (Tue) at 09:23. Reason: update pic
schmoelzel is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #2
cdhender

Default Re: Mini Review - Canon 35/f1.4 L

Thanks for the review. Pretty much re-enforced what I've read about this lense: it's sharp, built well and performs well wide open. I have a 17-40 but I still want this lense. Now if I could just find an extra $1100 laying around to buy it.
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #3
gramps

WOW!!!!!!!! I think it's time to start saving the pocket change for another "L". Those shots are GREAT!!!!!
gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #4
roanjohn
Goldmember

.............I'm salivating...............

slurp slurp!!!

Thanks for the review!!! Truly one of Canon's gem.

Ro1

www.pbase.com/roanjohn
roanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #5
drisley
"What a Tool I am"

Thanks Schmoelzel. Excellent review. And more stunning pictures to boot!
You can definately see the 3D effect, even in #1.
I know what you meant about the lens being inspirational. I feel like I can't take a bad picture when the 135L is on my camera.
Curious, how is the autofocus? I'm sure it's super fast, and accurate, right?
I think when Julia grows up, she will remember dad having a black box for a nose

drisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #6
schmoelzel
Lord of the Holy Trinity

Drisley: AF is blazing fast in good light; little slower but nothing thats bothersome in dim settings. Yeah, AF is spot on......no error from guy with camera allowed!! Julia already thinks that I have one eye.........

Thanks for all the other comments......Ro1, stop salivating and just get out the cheque-book!!
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #7
ed2day

Wow, great shots. I'm particularly impressed with the color quality and bokeh--highlights seem to be perfect spheres. And of course sharp. I'm also impressed with the sharpness in the pic of the two lenses. Was that taken with your 135?
ed2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #8
Tom W
Canon Fanosapien

Great shots, from a great lens. There's a reason that this is considered one of the best wide angle lenses around.
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #9
blinking8s

*sigh* i want one of those too....that sigma 30mm better hold up
blinking8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #10
roanjohn
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoelzel

Thanks for all the other comments......Ro1, stop salivating and just get out the cheque-book!!
*sigh*...........I wish it was that easy.............

Ro1

www.pbase.com/roanjohn
roanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #11
schmoelzel
Lord of the Holy Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2day
Wow, great shots. I'm particularly impressed with the color quality and bokeh--highlights seem to be perfect spheres. And of course sharp. I'm also impressed with the sharpness in the pic of the two lenses. Was that taken with your 135?
The colour is amazing.....the shot of the two lenses was taken with the 100f2.8 Macro, a great lens in it's own right!
Old 16th of June 2005 (Thu)   #12
eosster

Man, my wallet is getting thinner and thinner, lol. Awsome images. Enjoy!!!
Old 17th of June 2005 (Fri)   #13
ghocking

These shots are not sharp, there are better than that. We need a new word for wow sharp.
270EX|430EXII|580EX
ghocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2005 (Fri)   #14
boomerang

Schmoelzel- just wondering what your think about the 35 1.4 compared to the 50 1.4
As far as DOF, sharpness, AF....etc.

By the way excellent photos!
vertical grip : mountainsmith

http://francesco.blogphotography.com
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2005 (Fri)   #15
drisley
"What a Tool I am"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocking
These shots are not sharp, there are better than that. We need a new word for wow sharp.
Hmm, yes indeed... let me think.... how about... "scrumtralescent"!

drisley is offline   Reply With Quote