Thread started 16 Jun 2005 (Thursday) 12:10   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

schmoelzel
Lord of the Holy Trinity
Joined Aug 2001
1,886 posts
London (Canada)
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, as many of you know I recently purchased this very scarce and hard-to-find-in-stock lens. I have had a few PM's and emails asking me my various opinions of the 35F1.4 L and while I am no pro equipment reviewer, maybe my humble thoughts will be of some interest to someone! :)

First the lens............here's a picture of my 50F1.4 and the 35F1.4 side by side. As you can see, the 35 has more heft and is twice the size. It is also finished in typical L glass fashion; feels solid and weight is just right on my Canon 1D.........

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Some questions that I have received in the last few days after I posted some of my first shots with this lens:

Is it sharp? In a word, YES! I have a real weakness for sharpness and this lens does not disappoint. The DoF wide open is very narrow especially when you are close to your subject and that is where your focus point is critical. You can really get some crazy DoF effects if you tilt the camera and play around with the plane of focus.

Is it heavy? I find it the perfect weight with my 1D. It is easy to carry around (much easier than my 300 F4!!) but feels very stable. I have read over and over again that those with this lens feel 'inspired' when they have this attached to their camera body.

Is the bokeh nice? I love to isolate the subject from its' background and this lens has that ability in spades. I have noticed in the past couple of days that when I take shots further away from the subject, the background becomes less blurred but the subject seems to 'pop' out of picture. I think this is to do with the incredible contrast that this lens produces. Much the same effect that you get from the 135F2 L.........some refer to it as a '3-D' look.

Is it worth the money over the 35F2 version? Don't know that since I have never used the 35F2. I have read that optically they are very similiar. If so, the 35F2 is a hell of a bargain. I think with this lens what you pay for is the build quality and the better contrast and saturation that you can achieve. I haven't seen many shots taken with the 35F2 version that exhibit the '3-D' pop that this lens produces. I am happy to have spent the money on the lens and I guess that is what counts!!

I could conclude this with a more scientific and thorough set of test pics (brick walls, focus sheets etc etc) but I find that the most practical and informative shots taken with any lens are those that we all would take in everyday settings. Since I take mainly pictures of my daughter Julia, I will post a few more and let you all judge for yourself if this is a good lens or rather worth the $$ that is costs. In my humble opinion, I think it is and I am enjoying it immensely!! Thanks for looking and I hope this helps someone else come to a decision to pursue the purchase of this great piece of Canon glass. If anyone has any questions or statements concerning this lens or my little mini-review, just ask and I will try to answer as best as I can.......remember, I am not a professional review person so take all my observations with a grain of salt!! :D

Post #1, Jun 16, 2005 12:10:04

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
cdhender
Joined Oct 2004
547 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the review. Pretty much re-enforced what I've read about this lense: it's sharp, built well and performs well wide open. I have a 17-40 but I still want this lense. Now if I could just find an extra $1100 laying around to buy it.

Post #2, Jun 16, 2005 12:36:38

Chris

gramps
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
1,058 posts
Mt. WhereinthehellamI? Southen Utah
[MORE/SHARE]

WOW!!!!!!!! I think it's time to start saving the pocket change for another "L". Those shots are GREAT!!!!!

Post #3, Jun 16, 2005 12:43:13

Some pics here - http://pbase.com/sjhexternal link
20 D; 85 1.8; 24-70 L; 70-200 f4L (sold); 100-400 L; 420 Light bulb
1550 Pelican "soft case" & too much junk!!!

roanjohn
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2003
3,791 posts
New York, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

.............I'm salivating............​...

slurp slurp!!!

Thanks for the review!!! Truly one of Canon's gem.

Ro1

Post #4, Jun 16, 2005 12:45:15

www.pbase.com/roanjohnexternal link

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
Joined Nov 2002
8,751 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Schmoelzel. Excellent review. And more stunning pictures to boot!
You can definately see the 3D effect, even in #1.
I know what you meant about the lens being inspirational. I feel like I can't take a bad picture when the 135L is on my camera.
Curious, how is the autofocus? I'm sure it's super fast, and accurate, right?
I think when Julia grows up, she will remember dad having a black box for a nose :)

Post #5, Jun 16, 2005 12:46:59

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=680947

sponsored links
schmoelzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Lord of the Holy Trinity
Joined Aug 2001
1,886 posts
London (Canada)
[MORE/SHARE]

Drisley: AF is blazing fast in good light; little slower but nothing thats bothersome in dim settings. Yeah, AF is spot on......no error from guy with camera allowed!! Julia already thinks that I have one eye.........

Thanks for all the other comments......Ro1, stop salivating and just get out the cheque-book!!

Post #6, Jun 16, 2005 12:53:07

ed2day
Joined Jan 2005
631 posts
Boulder, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow, great shots. I'm particularly impressed with the color quality and bokeh--highlights seem to be perfect spheres. And of course sharp. I'm also impressed with the sharpness in the pic of the two lenses. Was that taken with your 135?

Post #7, Jun 16, 2005 13:39:55

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
Joined Feb 2003
12,743 posts
Chattanooga, Tennessee
[MORE/SHARE]

Great shots, from a great lens. There's a reason that this is considered one of the best wide angle lenses around.

Post #8, Jun 16, 2005 13:45:43

Tom
5D III, 70D, & various lenses

blinking8s
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2004
1,618 posts
w.kentucky
[MORE/SHARE]

*sigh* i want one of those too....that sigma 30mm better hold up

Post #9, Jun 16, 2005 13:48:00

blinking8s.comexternal link | pixelpost photoblog applicationexternal link

roanjohn
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2003
3,791 posts
New York, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

schmoelzel wrote:
Thanks for all the other comments......Ro1, stop salivating and just get out the cheque-book!!

*sigh*...........I wish it was that easy.............:confused:

Ro1

Post #10, Jun 16, 2005 13:57:17 as a reply to schmoelzel's post 1 hour earlier.

www.pbase.com/roanjohnexternal link

schmoelzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Lord of the Holy Trinity
Joined Aug 2001
1,886 posts
London (Canada)
[MORE/SHARE]

ed2day wrote:
Wow, great shots. I'm particularly impressed with the color quality and bokeh--highlights seem to be perfect spheres. And of course sharp. I'm also impressed with the sharpness in the pic of the two lenses. Was that taken with your 135?

The colour is amazing.....the shot of the two lenses was taken with the 100f2.8 Macro, a great lens in it's own right!

Post #11, Jun 16, 2005 15:41:02 as a reply to ed2day's post 2 hours earlier.

sponsored links
eosster
Joined Nov 2004
473 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Man, my wallet is getting thinner and thinner, lol. Awsome images. Enjoy!!!

Post #12, Jun 16, 2005 19:44:37

Canon EOS 60D | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 430EX II

ghocking
Joined May 2005
965 posts
Barrow-in-Furness England
[MORE/SHARE]

These shots are not sharp, there are better than that. We need a new word for wow sharp.

Post #13, Jun 17, 2005 00:01:23 as a reply to post 605983

Geoff Hocking
G9|20D|40D|50D|5D|7D|1​DMkIIN
60 Macro|50 1.4|100 Macro|17-40 L|24-105 L|100-400 L|Sigma 18-200 OS
270EX|430EXII|580EX

boomerang
Joined Apr 2005
257 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Schmoelzel- just wondering what your think about the 35 1.4 compared to the 50 1.4
As far as DOF, sharpness, AF....etc.

By the way excellent photos!

Post #14, Jun 17, 2005 00:44:43

Francesco
Canon 7D
50mm 1.4 : 50mm 1.8 : 17-40L : 70-200 2.8L IS
vertical grip : mountainsmith

http://francesco.blogp​hotography.comexternal link

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
Joined Nov 2002
8,751 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

ghocking wrote:
These shots are not sharp, there are better than that. We need a new word for wow sharp.

Hmm, yes indeed... let me think.... how about... "scrumtralescent"!

Post #15, Jun 17, 2005 06:51:28 as a reply to ghocking's post 6 hours earlier.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=680947

LIST NEARBY THREADS
41,949 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mini Review - Canon 35/f1.4 L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES