Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of December 2009 (Tue)   #1
CindyLynn

Default Anyone use vinyl backdrops?

I am looking at Savage vinyl backdrops, anyone use or have used vinyl before? Any pros/cons about them opposed to cloth? Tx's!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of December 2009 (Tue)   #2
Jonathan Taylor

Default Re: Anyone use vinyl backdrops?

Yup...they. are. amazing.

If you ever get any scratches on them, theyre incredibly easy to shop out. And possibly my favorite thing: they are best cleaned using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and a few drops of water. Scuffs, dirt/mud, acrylic paint, everything...they all buff right out. Also, if for some reason you get a crease or crinkle in the background during storage, or someone steps on it, let it sit for a couple hours and it'll go right back into place. Cant do THAT with paper!

Since they reflect light SO well, it's easy to shoot a high key half body portrait using one medium (25ish inch) softbox, or 1 medium (30in), or 2 small (20in) umbrellas. With vinyl, you rarely (if ever) have to cut the used part of the backdrop.

Here is an example shot with one umbrella:

Also, you can still achieve a low(er)-key effect by moving your model and light source farther from the background, or using a smaller light source perpendicular to the backdrop. Sorta gives a fashion-gray feel to it, with a bit more fall-off gradient, such as:

and

and

Con #1: They dont gel very easily. Paper gels spectacularly.

Con #2: It's a bit more difficult to get harsh shadows that are sometimes desirable with paper, or a painted wall. The only way I've found this to be possible is use a VERY small light source (I'm talking something not much bigger than a large flashlight-sized snoot), or to move your model very close to the floor and background, such as:

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this presentation. You're now free to roam about the forums. Any questions?

PS: Just noticed that you were asking in comparison to cloth. The only thing I like about white cloth is the ability to shoot through it for a perfectly smooth high-key. With a little practice, you can easily achieve the same effect with vinyl.
Jonathan Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of December 2009 (Sun)   #3
showtm490

thanks jonathan. i'm debating between paper or vinyl at the moment and vinyl may just win.
showtm490 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of December 2009 (Sun)   #4
Headshotzx
Goldmember

Gotta thank you as well. Vinyl seems great.
Old 27th of December 2009 (Sun)   #5
The Flying Turtle

How do you get wrinkles out? I have tried steam and an iron but neither seem to work.
Old 29th of December 2009 (Tue)   #6
CindyLynn

Thanks, Santa brought me one for christmas, I will glady post pics later after trying it out.
Old 6th of January 2010 (Wed)   #7
Jonathan Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Turtle View Post
How do you get wrinkles out? I have tried steam and an iron but neither seem to work.
it's hard to get wrinkles in it that stay, but i've got a couple in there that seem to be permanent. i just deal with it and quickly patch them out in PS. or if im shooting high-key, just blow them out.
Old 26th of January 2010 (Tue)   #8
Sweet_Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Turtle View Post
We have one as well and it is a you know what to get wrinkles out of. That's my biggest complaint. It seemed like we had tried EVERYTHING to get them out...with no luck. It was shipped to us folded and was an absolutle hot mess when we put it up. We finally took a wet towel with an iron and that worked like a charm. Still a you know what ----- to do...lol. I'm more worried about rolling it up...I'm scared it's going to wrinkle again. It does clean up well. Would post a pic but am new here and trying to figure this out, lol.

Last edited by Sweet_Life : 26th of January 2010 (Tue) at 22:30.
Sweet_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2010 (Tue)   #9
Chris&jess

I've recently got the 9 x 20 white vinyl from Savage and it has what appear to be permanent wrinkles. It's been hanging for four days now and I've used it once. Yes, I can blow out the wrinkles on the vertical areas, but I was hoping to have a surface on the floor that would be perfectly flat. My vinyl actually has a repeating pattern that I think will never go away. Not too happy here. Especially since I almost went with the Lastolite but in the end tried to save a buck.

Savage = $165. Lastolite = $290.

Anyone have experience with the Lastolite?

Chris
Chris&jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2013 (Thu)   #10
lawphotos

hi.
(9 x 20 white vinyl from Savage)

I have the same problem. my vinyl has a repeating pattern as well .
which can be a pain to deal with. its OK with high-key, but the ground where the feet would be or shadows areas, shows the patten.
Its much worst when i am not doing high-key.
as i live in Canada, it cost a lot to get it shipped. total cost was $453.07.

i know this is an old post. but is this normal to have repeating patterns, as i have search everywhere, and can not find an answer.

This has put me off ordering anymore.

thanks
lawrence
lawphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2013 (Thu)   #11
Jonathan Taylor

it will pick up a repeating pattern when the roll has been bent. i've not found a way to remove them.
Old 11th of April 2013 (Thu)   #12
lawphotos

Thanks your that info. i thought as much, but i was surprised how uniform the pattern is.
I Need to invest into better Internal support.
cheers
lawphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of April 2013 (Fri)   #13
ChrisAdval

what brand of vinyl you got Jonathan? If anyone has gotten the bit more expensive one from Lastolite, do you get any wrinkles too?
Old 12th of April 2013 (Fri)   #14
Jonathan Taylor

http://www.dennymfg.com/ProductDetai...b-5fb6ab04dd88